First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
The chemical reaction of ethanol is rather minimal compared to methanol, and way less than butanol (check your periodic table). But, you're correct to a point. This is one of the reasons Ford limits the Ranger to no more than 15% ethanol. All this said....

If you DESIGN the total system to use methanol, so be it. But the Ranger is NOT meant to use it, (methanol) period!
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The plot thickens...
Hi BB,

Yep...it is speed density... Ford Engine Engineer verified this in another thread. (This post is quite old)

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Bluebeastsrt

First Name
Big D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger 4X4
I ran a snow kit on my big turbo srt-4 back in the day. It was set on a boost controller and would come on and shut off at 10 psi. i had a 6 nozzle on the hot side and an 8 nozzle on the cool side. My only advice is to get the biggest tank possible. As the stuff runs out fast if you get on it alot. Alternate fueling is a hard sell on this forum. I totaled the srt-4 at 90K miles and disassembled the engine. It looked like brand new. So I wouldn't worry about engine damage like some suggest.

Last edited:

rltriumph

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Pipefitter
I understand water/meth injection and its potential benefits. One thing I can't wrap my head around is using windshield washer fluid. Doesn't this stuff also have detergents in it? Would that not be harmful to the interior of the engine or is there simply not enough of it to matter?
Ive had water methanol in two vehicles. We used wwf with heat fuel line drier added to it. It ate up the injectors. Switched to distilled water and methanol from our race gas sponsor and maintenance on the injectors went away. Not sure how pure the water i wwf is.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Go right ahead, and see what happens!

Methanol is VERY corrosive, especially to aluminum, and copper. Spraying it into the intake, no matter how it is done, will eventually cause big issues to arise. I wouldn't even spray it on the intercooler!

There may be some turbo Subie drivers here, and they can quote their owner's manual. It says in essence, nothing but water is to be added to the intercooler spray tank. Those who didn't heed the warning, found out the hard way!
I agree methanol is great for racing but everyday drivers? no thanks. I'm a powersports mechanic and I have seen what methanol can do to aluminum and to rubber hoses/seals ect... Most racers that use it run gas or something through the system after every race to prevent corrosion.

As for keeping these engines clean, they are very well designed even being direct injection if you change your oil every 3500 or even 5000 miles it's very unlikely you are gonna have any issues with carbon build up.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Hadn't seen this.

I think it's pretty cool that somebody is trying this. However, seems a bit a bit of a waste on a Ranger.

In my mind, meth injection comes right before a big turbo on the mod ladder. Meaning to take full advantage one would need to have all available bolt ons and access to a custom tune. As far as I know, outside of a few shops, real custom tuning is not available to most of us. I'm not talking about logs sent out via email. I'm talking real deal dyno/road tune.

Reactions: Doc

Travis9935

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Op so what is your nozzle setup? I've been told port is the only way to go. Our intake manifold isn't the greatest design and reg nozzles around the throttle body would just cause pooling in Cyl 1 ?
Sponsored