First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So, when I got my truck, I had a very slight, almost unnoticeable vibration at highway speed. To me, it seemed as if a tire was ever so slightly out of balance. I had the factory 18" wheels and tires rebalanced at the dealership and even though they stripped the weights and started fresh, said that they were spot on. Fast forward to about a two months ago, I purchased and installed brand new 17" fifteen52 wheels with 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks. Once installed, the vibration was accentuated so bad that it felt as if I was rolling around on ovals. I went ahead and installed hub-centric rings to match our bore spacing (106mm to 93mm) just to be sure. It may have been a placebo effect, but it felt as if the rings took out maybe 50% of the vibration. But the vibration is still there and it's still very noticeable. It was almost unbearable on a 500 mile trip my wife and I took on the interstate to Chicago. It definitely also feels like it's coming from the rear, although I can't tell if it's coming from one side or not. Also, it tends to smooth out some, then come back, smooth out, come back. I'm about to throw the factory wheels and tires back on, see if I can recreate the vibration and then take it to the dealership. I don't know if the larger tire size was making the original vibration worse or if it's a whole new issue, like a bad or out of round tire. I've had the new tires balanced 3 times by 3 different shops and they all said they were spot on. Has anybody experienced anything at all like this?
Soooooo...... Do yourself a favor and go back to the dealership and get the truck aligned. When you get it aligned ask them to allow you to be in the truck. This will be the "normal" load for the truck and will help toe be set correctly. I ran into this with my Ranger with the Old Man EMU lift.

Hope this helps
Sponsored

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ā€˜23 Macan,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Are these cast wheels made in China? Their website is pretty cagey.

WhiteBeastRangerNick

First Name
Nickolas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Super Crew
Occupation
Field Calibration Technician
ok, so lets be real here....you want them to solve a problem for when the truck was stock.
but you did a bunch of mods that clearly involve the same parts/systems before they solved it.
and you want the engineers to do something now.
since your threatening suing, it would indicate you want them to re-engineer your trucks problem. but piggyback all the stock trucks issues as your argument.
Am I getting this right?

perhaps you should take it to an independent shop and pay to play.
Ford clearly doesn't apply here anymore in your specific case. you removed their input/responsibility when you did the lift and tires.
No no no. I want them to actually look at the forums and see that there is an issue with quite a few trucks. I donā€™t even care if they figure out the problem using my truck or someoneā€™s stock truck with the same issue. My point is that theyā€™re just ignoring the issue. The people that have the same issue with the stock trucks Ford is just saying ā€œItā€™s a characteristic of the truckā€ and the people with lifted vehicles Ford is blaming the issue on the lift. They know that there is a real issue, they just donā€™t want to spend the money and time to solve it apparently.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
You said yourself the issue got way worse after you put the wheels and tires on. Why would Ford pay to fix the problem you created? Your only hope was to return it to stock and have them fix the minor vibration you started with. You own it at this point.

Most people with a stock truck DO NOT have this problem.

jpisdamaged

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
You said yourself the issue got way worse after you put the wheels and tires on. Why would Ford pay to fix the problem you created? Your only hope was to return it to stock and have them fix the minor vibration you started with. You own it at this point.

Most people with a stock truck DO NOT have this problem.
I have a bone stock 2019. The first time I took it in the shop they had it for over a month. Gave it back 2 days before I could make a claim for non payment because they had it so long. They went as far as pulling the axles and rear pumpkin. Told me to drive it until it gets worse. Been driving a vibrating truck for two years now. If I wanted to sell this thing no one would buy it after a test drive. Dropping it off at the end of the month to try it again.
People with stock trucks DO have this problem.

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
ok, so lets be real here....you want them to solve a problem for when the truck was stock.
but you did a bunch of mods that clearly involve the same parts/systems before they solved it.
and you want the engineers to do something now.
since your threatening suing, it would indicate you want them to re-engineer your trucks problem. but piggyback all the stock trucks issues as your argument.
Am I getting this right?

perhaps you should take it to an independent shop and pay to play.
Ford clearly doesn't apply here anymore in your specific case. you removed their input/responsibility when you did the lift and tires.
This is absolutely a Ford issue that they are failing to address. Mine had a very minor vibration stock, that to be honest, I probably wouldn't have noticed without this forum. I installed the Ford Fox Tuned lift, which I bought from a Ford dealer, and had the dealer install it. This made the vibration much worse. I've had it to the dealer multiple times and it's now tolerable but not perfect. When a Ford product, installed on a Ford vehicle, by a Ford dealer, causes a problem, it's on the manufacturer. Unfortunately Ford is choosing to ignore the issue and relying on their dealers to cover for them.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I have a bone stock 2019. The first time I took it in the shop they had it for over a month. Gave it back 2 days before I could make a claim for non payment because they had it so long. They went as far as pulling the axles and rear pumpkin. Told me to drive it until it gets worse. Been driving a vibrating truck for two years now. If I wanted to sell this thing no one would buy it after a test drive. Dropping it off at the end of the month to try it again.
People with stock trucks DO have this problem.
Thatā€™s why I said most. I didnā€™t say the problem didnā€™t exist.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This is absolutely a Ford issue that they are failing to address. Mine had a very minor vibration stock, that to be honest, I probably wouldn't have noticed without this forum. I installed the Ford Fox Tuned lift, which I bought from a Ford dealer, and had the dealer install it. This made the vibration much worse. I've had it to the dealer multiple times and it's now tolerable but not perfect. When a Ford product, installed on a Ford vehicle, by a Ford dealer, causes a problem, it's on the manufacturer. Unfortunately Ford is choosing to ignore the issue and relying on their dealers to cover for them.
HI Scott,

What is the frequency of the vibration, The engine rpm and the indicated order of frequency? Dealer should have the equipment to determine this. If they have not done so, You need another Ford Dealer.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
HI Scott,

What is the frequency of the vibration, The engine rpm and the indicated order of frequency? Dealer should have the equipment to determine this. If they have not done so, You need another Ford Dealer.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hi Phil,

I had it back at the dealer again and they measured the vibration with what they called a Vetronix Vibration Analyzer. They ended up lowering my lift 1/4 of an inch in the front and placing a shim in the back. They said it came back with zero driveshaft vibration after the adjustments but a very slight vibration with one of my tires. I'm assuming it's in the Firestone Destination XT's I had put on. Long story short it's much improved so I'm happy with it.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Phil,

I had it back at the dealer again and they measured the vibration with what they called a Vetronix Vibration Analyzer. They ended up lowering my lift 1/4 of an inch in the front and placing a shim in the back. They said it came back with zero driveshaft vibration after the adjustments but a very slight vibration with one of my tires. I'm assuming it's in the Firestone Destination XT's I had put on. Long story short it's much improved so I'm happy with it.
Hi Scott,

Excellent! Sounds like the tech used the equipment correctly and was able to determine a course of action which resulted in a very good improvement! So the vibration was 2nd order which is the u joint excitation and by aligning the front to the rear the u joints cancelled each other out for the most part! The modern diagnostic equipment is wonderful if used correctly! Glad you are happy!!! :)

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

jpisdamaged

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Hi Scott,

Excellent! Sounds like the tech used the equipment correctly and was able to determine a course of action which resulted in a very good improvement! So the vibration was 2nd order which is the u joint excitation and by aligning the front to the rear the u joints cancelled each other out for the most part! The modern diagnostic equipment is wonderful if used correctly! Glad you are happy!!! :)

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hi Scott,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thatā€™s why I said most. I didnā€™t say the problem didnā€™t exist.
Just received call from Ford after dropping off my truck this morning for the vibration. I had to laugh after remembering your reply as the technician explains to me that the vibration is normal for these trucks. He said they all vibrate between 45 and 60 MPH. Total oposit of what the last Tec and service rep said last year. Of corse nether one is working there anymore. Looks like this is going to end up with Ford loosing a customer when I return this thing in 2022.
Sponsored