NOTE TO Self: Don't drop the brake master cylinder cap!!! Never to be seen again.

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
I was checking the brake fluid level on Monday evening just because... it's been 3 years.
Took the cap off; all is good, right where it should be. Went to put the cap back on and it slip off/out of my hand; down to driver fender side, onto the mass of hoses, brake lines, wiring... never to be seen again!! If I had a lift or went to change the oil it might reappear but not from above!!

Had to order a new one (KB3Z-2162-A)... only one dealer in the state of Minnesota had one, and they where 70 miles way!! So the Ranger was grounded till it arrived today. Cheap but what a pain.
20230519_171411.jpg
Sponsored

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
I was checking the brake fluid level on Monday evening just because... it's been 3 years.
Took the cap off; all is good, right where it should be. Went to put the cap back on and it slip off/out of my hand; down to driver fender side, onto the mass of hoses, brake lines, wiring... never to be seen again!! If I had a lift or went to change the oil it might reappear but not from above!!

Had to order a new one (KB3Z-2162-A)... only one dealer in the state of Minnesota had one, and they where 70 miles way!! So the Ranger was grounded till it arrived today. Cheap but what a pain.
20230519_171411.jpg
Why bother to remove the cap when the container is translucent anyway. Just give the truck front a shake and look. From my experience with dropped bolts , nuts, tools etc it will probably turn up months later when you are underneath looking for something else!

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Why bother to remove the cap when the container is translucent anyway. Just give the truck front a shake and look. From my experience with dropped bolts , nuts, tools etc it will probably turn up months later when you are underneath looking for something else!
Sometimes, it’s worth looking for those kinds of things because when I do, I usually find a missing 10mm or two. :wink:

OP
OP

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
I did look but the fluid was so clear I could not see a line from the outside... also as it was full right up to the cap bottom, there was really no line to see.

OP
OP

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
LOL... Status update:

Was to tired Monday to fight with it after crawling under the truck to see if I could find/see it, so easiest was order a new one.

So tonight after picking up the new one and in a better frame of mind, I proceeded to put the new one in and take photo of the Ranger's black hole where parts are swallowed whole.

A: The black hole
20230519_180121.jpg

B. Then I looked around more, on the engine side of the master cylinder, and realize the cap had slid down under the power brake booster...

20230519_181115.jpg

I could feel it but not "grab" it. Got out the right-angle pick, and snagged it.

C: The rescued miscreant cap:
20230519_182459.jpg

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
LOL... Status update:

Was to tired Monday to fight with it after crawling under the truck to see if I could find/see it, so easiest was order a new one.

So tonight after picking up the new one and in a better frame of mind, I proceeded to put the new one in and take photo of the Ranger's black hole where parts are swallowed whole.

A: The black hole
20230519_180121.jpg

B. Then I looked around more, on the engine side of the master cylinder, and realize the cap had slid down under the power brake booster...

20230519_181115.jpg

I could feel it but not "grab" it. Got out the right-angle pick, and snagged it.

C: The rescued miscreant cap:
20230519_182459.jpg
IMG_3963.png
Again….lol

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
I did look but the fluid was so clear I could not see a line from the outside... also as it was full right up to the cap bottom, there was really no line to see.
Ok fair enough then, didn't mean to criticize, just wondered why you went to the trouble to remove it. My fluid is a goldy colour so it's relatively easy to see.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
I found that shining a small flashlight from behind or at the opposite angle you are looking at it helps.

OP
OP

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
I found that shining a small flashlight from behind or at the opposite angle you are looking at it helps.
Agreed... I left a step out of the story: When it first fell, looked in the black hole and could see the cap. Tried using a VERY long nosed needle nose plied top grab it but the moment I touched it, it slid the rest of the way down to under the booster. 🙄

That's when I was so exacerbated with myself and said just get a new one.

Now IMO, to save me from myself (and perhaps others) this frustration, given the location would be nice if the caps along this design: with a tether

Web_300--EXGVSRV071-media-hlr-system-18353_100275000_Stryker Medical.jpg

This will be my last comment... don't want to beat a dead horse.

Max Crafter

Banned
Banned
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Retired
you'll find it again, when it finds something hot, and starts smoking, or catches fire.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Agreed... I left a step out of the story: When it first fell, looked in the black hole and could see the cap. Tried using a VERY long nosed needle nose plied top grab it but the moment I touched it, it slid the rest of the way down to under the booster. 🙄

That's when I was so exacerbated with myself and said just get a new one.

Now IMO, to save me from myself (and perhaps others) this frustration, given the location would be nice if the caps along this design: with a tether

Web_300--EXGVSRV071-media-hlr-system-18353_100275000_Stryker Medical.jpg

This will be my last comment... don't want to beat a dead horse.
I've owned a car once before that actually had something like that. As I bought it secondhand I'm not sure however if it was OEM or an aftermarket one.

Trash Panda

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
It's kind of like after you pee, you have to shake it a little..😂

I use one of my removable workbench LED light bars at an angle and give the master cylinder a little shake. (my fluid is a few weeks old)

IMG_8847.jpeg

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
I've lost 2 windshield wash fluid caps(from the jugs) down the open port in the radiator cover, never to be seen again.

svogt302

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat

20230519_171411.jpg
Brake fluid attracts moisture, especially with the cap off. You may want to get it flushed now to prevent any Corrosion.

https://naijauto.com/car-maintenanc...-fluid-the-impending-threat-for-motorists-889
Sponsored