Very first next-gen 2023 Ford Ranger prototype!

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Ahh!, so we are designing now for less bodily damage when we hit people because we couldn't see them over the big jacked up hood.
Makes sense now.
In the old days when you got hit by a car you'd get both your legs broken then you'd flip into the hood and roll off. Now the grill hits you in the chest and causes massive internal injuries before you get flung down onto the pavement. I'm not sure how the hood styling helps. Or if it's a kid in front the driver will never even see them, just drive over the speed bump. But at least the idiot car reviewers can talk about "aggressive styling" like a bunch of psychopaths.
Sponsored

rossagge

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
I do stuff...
Ahh!, so we are designing now for less bodily damage when we hit people because we couldn't see them over the big jacked up hood.
Makes sense now.
Haha. Yeah, but this has been going on for a decade now. Look at all the hoods on vehicles now. Silly thing is you hit someone with a truck, they're not rolling over the hood. They'll be getting knocked down and rolled over.

Sanford & Son Salvage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4WD, SCab
1610391918877.png

Body lines dont look much different. standard front end changes by the looks of it, most likely tailgate/light visual changes

I wonder what changes inside more than anything???
Not a fan of the .75 F150 Styling..

I like the Ranger because it does not look like the F150 and has a unique style and not just a shrunken 150...

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Really loved my 2011 XLT, 4.0, 5 speed Ranger. Traveled all over the country with our kids and a popup camper. Got tired of setting up and taking down the camper. Upgraded to a 4000 lb TT. The old Ranger just wasn't up to the task. So, was glad to see the new Ranger come out after the 8 year absence. Finally got a good looking truck with plenty of capability and fits in my garage. The engine has almost as much HP as my '70 Cuda maybe more and gets good gas mileage. Now they are turning it into the new F150. Awhile back I parked next to late 90s F150 and my Ranger was just as big or bigger. Got to be and american thing, always bigger, faster, more powerful. Do we need it, no. We do it because we can, so we can brag our truck is bigger faster more powerful than the next guy. Then we complain because it doesn't get as good of mileage or the government regulates where we can go and do crazy things with our trucks.

Why does a mid size truck need to look like some kind of monster truck. I personally like the more European styling of the current Ranger. Don't want a mini-F150 that I need to have FORD plastered across the grille so I know what make it is, because they all look alike.

Maybe someday we will get what we really need, not what our egos think we need.

JMHO

P.S. Until Ford actually unveils the 6G everything is just guesses and wishes and dreams.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
P.S. Until Ford actually unveils the 6G everything is just guesses and wishes and dreams.
yes, we can hold out hope that it won't suck as bad as the spy shots suggest, until we see the final thing. :)

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
Yup, Until Ford actually unveils the 6G everything is just guesses and wishes and dreams.

A few things that we wish we could get some answers on:

Will the PHEV be offered in the first year models or how long will we have to wait. Same with full electric.

Will the PHEV and electric be offered on all models. Ford seems to put all the good stuff on the Screw. Raptor, Tremor. Will the Tremor even be offered.

Will we get the 7 speed manual.

It looks like the V6 will only be offered in the Raptor.

It looks like the Ranger will again get slightly large.

It looks like Ford will not offer a long bed Screw. They are sticking with the Bronco frame with modifications.

The coil spring rear end only looks like it will be offered on the Raptor. Will the Raptor even come to NA.

Will we get options for axle gear ratio's.

Will they get rid of the parabolic leaf springs. Use the one's from the Tremor.

Will the Ranger follow some of the build parts from the Bronco. Its made in the same plant so it would make sense that both have interchangeable modular parts.

We will have to just wait till Ford releases all the info on the 6G and takes the camoflage of it.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will the PHEV and electric be offered on all models. Ford seems to put all the good stuff on the Screw. Raptor, Tremor. Will the Tremor even be offered.
Yes, this was (IMO) a competitive advantage for Ford: at launch, you could get just about everything on a 2 door that you could get on a 4 door. Now, like everyone else, more and more stuff is only available on a 4 door. Another case of, "oh well, just less reason to buy one".

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yup, Until Ford actually unveils the 6G everything is just guesses and wishes and dreams.

A few things that we wish we could get some answers on:

Will we get the 7 speed manual.

It looks like the V6 will only be offered in the Raptor.

It looks like the Ranger will again get slightly large.

The coil spring rear end only looks like it will be offered on the Raptor. Will the Raptor even come to NA.
Lots of wishes and dreams.

I agree a manual transmission would be nice. I miss the 5 speed in my 2011
First automatic new vehicle I've owned, learned to drive on a 3 on the tree. LOL

I don't see why we need a V6? 300+ HP is not enough?

Why does the Ranger have to get even slightly larger??

Yes a coil-over rear suspension would be great. Probably make it easier to lower that overy high rear end a couple inches to level the truck. I don't off road so don't need bigger tires and jacked up to kill the mileage even more. A bigger gas tank at least with the tow package would be nice.
Oad

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
The PHEV should even have more power then the V6. I enjoy rolling the gears on my 5 speed. Needs it when the 4G 2.3 L only makes 145HP.
Hopefully we will not have to wait too much longer the 6G should be debut later this year

Reactions: Doc

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Got to be and american thing, always bigger, faster, more powerful. Do we need it, no. We do it because we can, so we can brag our truck is bigger faster more powerful than the next guy. Then we complain because it doesn't get as good of mileage or the government regulates where we can go and do crazy things with our trucks.

Maybe someday we will get what we really need, not what our egos think we need.
Well, whatever the reason, Ford sure has us truck buyers figured out. The F-150 is the number one selling vehicle in the USA and has been for a long time. It’s an amazing machine.

Tough to argue against that kind of success and market domination. I prefer the Ranger but understand the amazing appeal of the F-150. Great job Ford!

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, whatever the reason, Ford sure has us truck buyers figured out. The F-150 is the number one selling vehicle in the USA and has been for a long time. It’s an amazing machine.

Tough to argue against that kind of success and market domination. I prefer the Ranger but understand the amazing appeal of the F-150. Great job Ford!
The same argument explained why ford didn't need to bother selling the ranger--they already had trucks figured out and weren't losing any customers. Then they decided to sell the ranger again and got a bunch of new customers. The number of sales they'd get with a different design is basically an unknowable counter-factual; the only thing anyone can know for sure is whether they want to buy it themselves.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The same argument explained why ford didn't need to bother selling the ranger--they already had trucks figured out and weren't losing any customers. Then they decided to sell the ranger again and got a bunch of new customers. The number of sales they'd get with a different design is basically an unknowable counter-factual; the only thing anyone can know for sure is whether they want to buy it themselves.
Mike, be happy. Ford is listening to you too. If the 6G Ranger is not for you because of the height of the front end, then the Maverick might be perfect for you. Looks like it may be a home run for Ford.

1631901094808.png

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mike, be happy. Ford is listening to you too. If the 6G Ranger is not for you because of the height of the front end, then the Maverick might be perfect for you. Looks like it may be a home run for Ford.
Nope, can't get it in a 2 door so the bed is ridiculously tiny. Current ranger really is just about perfect, so of course it needs to get f'd up.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Your right Ford and all the other manufactures sure have you truck buyers figured out. Nobody will deny the F150 is a great truck. But, why did a perfectly capable full size half ton truck need to turn into a behemoth that won't fit in an average garage. They use to be a utility vehicle used for work on the farm. They have become the a high end luxury optioned up status symbol. And. They dragged the SUV along with it. Ford doesn't even build a none performance car for the US market anymore. Over half of these trucks and SUVs will never see off road or do any real work. Strictly Shiney tricked out grocery getters or mall crawlers.

Ford finally brought us the Ranger back. More off road aimed than necessary but, that's what it seems we wanted. It is the perfect truck for someone that really doesn't need truck capabilities all the time but wants to tow a camper or a boat now and then. Now they want to turn it into the next 3/4 ton monster truck, because we always need more options, more luxury, more power. Mod your truck to do what you want with it but give us a truck for doing basic truck things that we want.

Don't start on the Maverick, it is a truck want to be. It's a unit body SUV with token bed in back. Can't tow a decent TT. Now there is you grocery getter.

Sorry for the rant but just my feelings and observations. Keep the Ranger a Ranger and don't turn it into the next version of a F150.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But, why did a perfectly capable full size half ton truck need to turn into a behemoth that won't fit in an average garage. They use to be a utility vehicle used for work on the farm. They have become the a high end luxury optioned up status symbol. And. They dragged the SUV along with it. Ford doesn't even build a none performance car for the US market anymore. Over half of these trucks and SUVs will never see off road or do any real work. Strictly Shiney tricked out grocery getters or mall crawlers.
Because that is what a huge number of customers wanted to buy? So much so, that it has propelled the F-150 to the best selling vehicle (not just best selling truck) in the USA. I understand that you disagree with this trend and I agree with many of your points, but Ford is in business to sell to the masses and they have a grand slam with the F-150 and some of their SUVs. I think it is an amazing accomplishment. Ford quit selling sedans because the sales numbers were poor and "the masses" prefer SUVs.
Sponsored