Vent Window

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 XL STX FX4
Loved having them on my '87 XJ Wagoneer, that was before I quit smoking so they really came in handy. Haven't really felt the need for the vents since, but I do still think they're neat.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Would Love, but I think they would never pass crash testing now.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
No, I like modern nose reduction and don't need a blind spot.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Nope. I always thought they were useless and just another easy access point to break into.

Azriq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER XLT SUPERCREW, 1966 FORD MUSTANG 331 STROKER, 2010 MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS
My 66 Stang has em. The only time they get used is as a "oh sh*t" grab bar. The little chrome lever is about all there is to hang onto. Lol Otherwise it's just another quick way to break into the car.

Mpro2

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt
Yeah, I would take that! Had them on my 72' Chevy P/U and loved how it directed the outside air right at your upper body......but, I may be a little old school, and laugh at the tailgate dampeners too!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I would take that! Had them on my 72' Chevy P/U and loved how it directed the outside air right at your upper body......but, I may be a little old school, and laugh at the tailgate dampeners too!
Hi Folks,

I have a back story of the early 70s wrt vent windows on the F Series. We were forever breaking into our prototype vehicles as we had way too many keys in our pockets when moving prototypes or just gaining access for various reasons. Fumbling with keys was just part of the business. Then a Development Engineer, Dave D. figured that the bail on a master cylinder could be used to break into a F Series truck with vent windows. It was perfect to get under the rubber seal, had the hook to engage the vent window latch and the press the latch button and rotate to open the vent window. Once we learned this, every vehicle sent to scrap was a source of a Master Cylinder bail. Took about 4 seconds to open a truck. To this day...If I take two welding rods bent into a square U I can still break into any vent window F series, many of which are around here in the Arizona climate. I still have a Master Cylinder bail in my Tool Box!

So in a way, I am glad vent widows are a thing of the past.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Tim H.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
Hi Folks,

I have a back story of the early 70s wrt vent windows on the F Series. We were forever breaking into our prototype vehicles as we had way too many keys in our pockets when moving prototypes or just gaining access for various reasons. Fumbling with keys was just part of the business. Then a Development Engineer, Dave D. figured that the bail on a master cylinder could be used to break into a F Series truck with vent windows. It was perfect to get under the rubber seal, had the hook to engage the vent window latch and the press the latch button and rotate to open the vent window. Once we learned this, every vehicle sent to scrap was a source of a Master Cylinder bail. Took about 4 seconds to open a truck. To this day...If I take two welding rods bent into a square U I can still break into any vent window F series, many of which are around here in the Arizona climate. I still have a Master Cylinder bail in my Tool Box!

So in a way, I am glad vent widows are a thing of the past.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Why did Ford do away with them? Any idea?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Why did Ford do away with them? Any idea?
I really do not know the answer, but I recall that GM did away with vent windows and started the trend....just my opinion.... Many at Ford thought it was "anti smoker" for those who flicked ashes out the vent window. Sorry...really do not know how or why the decision was made. Cost and complexity had to enter the equasion. Someone said it was crash related. Not sure about such a statement, not something of which I was familiar.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Harleyfever

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Nice job with the Photoshop. They did come in handy when I was a smoker.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I miss them. I'm a windows down guy and rarely use air conditioning. Crank those vent windows around and you had ram air conditioning ?

Also miss having drip rails. :rain:

Azriq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER XLT SUPERCREW, 1966 FORD MUSTANG 331 STROKER, 2010 MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS
It's funny. On a lot of the "old school" mustang restomod 's the big thing is to remove the vent windows and rain gutters. It's subtle but really cleans up the look of the car. I'm fine either way. I know on my 66, the mirrors have to be mounted further back to clear the vent windows when open. For me it makes the mirrors pretty much worthless.
Sponsored