Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
I have a single file structure on my USB and its very random if it will pick up the stick or not. Its always done that. If I shut off the radio before the truck and when I go to start the truck and turn on the radio after a few seconds after the truck is running, it finds it every time. I think it takes too long for the truck to boot up. I need to overclock it
Sponsored

OP
OP
BlackRanger01

BlackRanger01

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Cab 4x4
Occupation
IT
Still having this issue. So what I'm doing now is, delete the index, removed the USB stick and plugged into my PC, formatted it as FAT32 again and copied all songs from an album into root of the USB stick and go from there.

I had over 4000 192kbit mp3 (like 15GB). Now it's just like 10 songs on root of USB. Will report back.
Well still doing the same thing with the changes. It's now out of my truck and will attempt this later when it's warmer out. It's back to bluetooth streaming from my phone and it's resuming from that every time I start the truck like it should.

Imagine that, only issue I'm having on my truck and it's annoying ;)

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Well still doing the same thing with the changes. It's now out of my truck and will attempt this later when it's warmer out. It's back to bluetooth streaming from my phone and it's resuming from that every time I start the truck like it should.

Imagine that, only issue I'm having on my truck and it's annoying ;)
have you tried a different usb drive?

OP
OP
BlackRanger01

BlackRanger01

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Yes i did.

rparge

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired.
I'd mostly consider NTFS as the worst possible choice. FAT is the best, exfat is a possibility especially for large drives (which will often come preformatted that way these days). I think most of the "solutions" for sync3 are folk remedies that aren't particularly repeatable.
I tried all the different formats, and NTFS by far was the most reliable.
I can't remember the last time I had a "did not recognize error"

Also, use a 4096 allocation unit:

1642731803049.png

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
I wonder if the type of USB makes a difference like 2.0 vs 3.0

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab

I've never had a "did not recognize error" and I never use NTFS :p It's just not intended for use with removable storage. You want to do it, more power to you, but it's the wrong tool for the job. Changing the allocation unit is a good example of a folk remedy that's not a repeatable solution.

OP
OP
BlackRanger01

BlackRanger01

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT

1642731803049.png
I've never had a "did not recognize error" and I never use NTFS :p It's just not intended for use with removable storage. You want to do it, more power to you, but it's the wrong tool for the job. Changing the allocation unit is a good example of a folk remedy that's not a repeatable solution.
Well I did it anyway, for shits and giggles. I do agree with you Mike. Will report back.

OP
OP
BlackRanger01

BlackRanger01

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
So.........

I am surprised and you will be also, @VAMike. NTFS formatted USB stick actually .... WORKS. Yes, you read that right. I mean wow. I would never think it would. I mean I agreed what @VAMike posted about NTFS and FAT32...

It's been a couple days now. And every time I started the truck - it resumed from USB stick. I will post back if it happened again.

Thank you very much @Clump. You pretty much NAILED this.

Clump

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST former 2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
So.........

I am surprised and you will be also, @VAMike. NTFS formatted USB stick actually .... WORKS. Yes, you read that right. I mean wow. I would never think it would. I mean I agreed what @VAMike posted about NTFS and FAT32...

It's been a couple days now. And every time I started the truck - it resumed from USB stick. I will post back if it happened again.

Thank you very much @Clump. You pretty much NAILED this.
I wish mine worked that good.

I do have an odd setup - 256GB flash drive, mostly FLAC with some 256KB MP3s. About 8,000 songs.
BUT it worked perfectly in a Grand Cherokee.

OP
OP
BlackRanger01

BlackRanger01

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Yeah well I am expecting it to happen once in a while because, i still see some delays. I thought once it will fail. But it caught the USB. Sometimes it just caught it right away right at the Ford loading logo screen.

OP
OP
BlackRanger01

BlackRanger01

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
I wish SYNC is still on Microsoft system........... Not fond of QNX.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I started using USB stick full of MP3 for the truck. It works and all but almost every time I start the truck, it says can't find stick then starts playing from FM radio, and then it detects the stick shortly after. Once in a while, it would play from USB after the start. I tried three different USB sticks with the same result. How do I make it to play/resume from a USB stick every single time I start the truck? It seems to me if I could increase the delay time, it should work.
I originally thought it was my USB as well, bought a higher-end low-profile one at Best buy, helped a bunch. Very rarely all I need to do is touch the USB to be sure it's seated. Honestly, I think it's Sync and not the USB because it did the same thing in my F150, however, I did not swap out the USB until last summer in my Ranger. I love having my tunes on it, I just put it on shuffle and it plays random songs and I can skip it if I am not in the mood for that song. The USB is why I have never paid for satellite, the slight hiss from the satellite is annoying.