Used car prices aren’t this good, right??

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
I was in the market for a used ranger. It actually only cost me $2k more for a fully loaded new one over a 2019 with 30k miles.
I bought my stx screw in March for 4k off msrp.

Glad I decided to buy when dealers were hurting to sell stock, not get it in. Crazy how fast things changed.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
I was looking at used prices as well and decided on new, for a few grand more I got it new, I then know for certain how it was (will be) maintained since first sold. And dealer offered lifetime powertrain on new truck sales, but not used.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
I was looking at used prices as well and decided on new, for a few grand more I got it new, I then know for certain how it was (will be) maintained since first sold. And dealer offered lifetime powertrain on new truck sales, but not used.
Buying new has its advantages for sure. When it comes time for you to sell, it's better to be selling a one owner vehicle with ALL the maintenance paperwork than a two owner vehicle with only the latest service paperwork.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Buying new has its advantages for sure. When it comes time for you to sell, it's better to be selling a one owner vehicle with ALL the maintenance paperwork than a two owner vehicle with only the latest service paperwork.
You know, in my head I THINK that, but I have yet to have any of the dealerships ask me anything at all about service, and when I offer to show them MY records, they just say they don't need it. In fact, in my latest trades the dealers didn't even offer to drive my trade-in. Only did a cursory walk-around.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
You know, in my head I THINK that, but I have yet to have any of the dealerships ask me anything at all about service, and when I offer to show them MY records, they just say they don't need it. In fact, in my latest trades the dealers didn't even offer to drive my trade-in. Only did a cursory walk-around.

Yeah.. more of a private sale advantage I guess.

Any chance dealer service records are "shared" between manufacturer specific dealers? Like.... if you go to a different than usual dealer for an oil change for whatever reason would the regular dealer be able to see that?

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase

Any chance dealer service records are "shared" between manufacturer specific dealers? Like.... if you go to a different than usual dealer for an oil change for whatever reason would the regular dealer be able to see that?
Dealerships within the same family of dealers most likely can see records regardless of make; mine always me to get maintenance service done at any of their dealerships in regards to them honoring their lifetime power train warranty.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Dealerships within the same family of dealers most likely can see records regardless of make; mine always me to get maintenance service done at any of their dealerships in regards to them honoring their lifetime power train warranty.
Right on. That's probably why they didn't need to see your records @Chris M

ranger4x

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 301a
Prices are stupid right now on everything. In February we bought a Certified 2019 Hyundai Accent with 29k miles for $10.6k, $12k OTD. He's been screwing up pretty bad so I ran in through Carvana last week and they offered $19,116. I think original sticker was $17,900.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Just for kicks I checked the price of my '20 STX SCAB on Kelly Blue Book. Fair market value of 31K, and some change. That's for a truck that listed for $28985, and got a screaming deal for $24,700 in Dec. last year. I've been looking for an '05 - '10 Mustang GT to have something to keep me out of the wife's hair. Dayum things are selling at "back then" sticker price if you find one in decent shape. Things are stupid crazy right now. There's a lot of equity to lose in buying a used car these days when things return to normal. That is if things ever return to normal.

Last edited:

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer

I was looking at some used Tacoma's that had a Car Fax on them. They listed every oil change, tire purchase, vehicle inspection, every change in ownership, etc., not just accidents. They even listed any open recalls and performed recalls.

Not sure if the corner mechanic is reporting all his work to the likes of Car Fax but dealerships or the manufacturers are.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Not sure if the corner mechanic is reporting all his work to the likes of Car Fax but dealerships or the manufacturers are.
And this adds an interesting thing, I can add service records to my vehicles through the owner.ford site. I'm curious if those would make it to such a report, or are they just for Ford if any warranty issue should arise and they need documented history.

A Tale Of Two Rangers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT 4x4, 1999 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Marketing
Used car prices are CRAZY.
I traded a 2013 Focus ST, that cost me $28K new, on my new 2021 Ranger XLT.
I got $20,000 for the Focus. There are a few extenuating circumstances ... the Focus only had 28,000 miles on the clock and it's always been garaged, so it looked real sharp. It was also the fully loaded ST3 package (Recaro, nav and all the romance).
The dealer sold it for $29,000 three weeks after I traded it in.

ArchitectThom

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Architect
I got my “used” 2020 Ranger XLT FX4 with the 302A package, spray-in bed liner, a roll up tonneau cover for the bed and 3800 miles on it for just under $40k. Also, the Ford Blue Advantage package which includes the 7 year / 100,000 mile power train warranty, roadside assistance and 1 year of service included.

I’m starting to think I scored. ?

No, I haven’t bought a damn damper. Lol.
Get the damper. It solves all your problems and will probably save your marriage.
Sponsored