Upgrading Factory 4" Sync Lite Display (300A)

Davejb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL STX
All those features still work.
What about the settings that were accessed from the factory setup, I assume you lost access to those?
Sponsored

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
Would you be a pal and share a list of materials used on your swap? Thanks in advance

Looks like
Metra - Dash Kit for Ford Ranger 2019 and Up Vehicles - Matte Black
Model:108-FD9B

Directions for the above dash kit state it was designed for Pioneer DMH-C5500NEX 8-inch radio
Also needed to retain factory controls/function
Wire harness: • AXTC-FD2
Antenna adapter: • 40-EU10

paquete305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Hi all,

So I bit the bullet and tore apart my dash to install a Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX and I'm happy with it thus far except that I cannot get the backup camera to work with it (puzzled currently).

Here's my part list for anyone interested:

1. Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX
2. Metra 99-5857B Dash Kit (Matte Black)
3. iDatalink Maestro RR Interface Module
4. iDatalink Connec HRN-RR-FO2 Factory Integration Adapter
5. Metra 40-EU10 Antenna Adapter
6. Crutchfield "ReadyHarness" service.

63037205970__10A9CC4F-69D1-45BD-8664-3240C6D91D6E.png

I thought that with the iDatalink FO2 factory integration adapter that the camera would work out of the box, but unfortunately that is not the case (at least not for me).

Below is a picture of the backup camera connected to the input on the radio. The yellow RCA cable comes out of the adapter harness that connects to my Maestro RR module and I have it plugged into the aftermarket headunit.

Interestingly, the large connector that is at the top of the photo below does not connect to anything post-install (and it used to connect to the factory 4" screen).

IMG_0281.jpg

And I did notice that my harness had an unused connection (which I thought should connect to what used to connect to the 4" screen, but they are completely different sizes), which I suspect may have something to do with the camera not working. Picture below where I have it in my hand.

IMG_0283.jpg

Another picture of that unused plug (I think this is the power for the camera that is currently missing).

IMG_0282.jpg

I'm planning on calling iDatalink Maestro tomorrow to see what they say as I could not find any Ford Ranger specific documentation, though I wanted to post this here to see if any of you had run into this issue with the backup camera with the same adapter and had found a solution.

Last edited:

paquete305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
So I come with good news. I spoke with iDatalink Maestro, and I received the following instructions to get the backup camera to work:

1. Cut off the RCA on my F02 harness (the harness they provide) and I'll find a yellow and black wire inside of that.
2. The yellow cable on that RCA will go to pin 14 (white with a green stripe on the 54 pin connector).
3. The black will go to pin 15 (blue gray on the 54 pin connector).
4. Ground pin 33.

I'll be able to try this out next week and report back, but thought that this would be helpful for anyone that may be in the same situation as me.

Also, I found a "Reverse Camera Retention Harness" that may accomplish exactly what I've described above (it isn't for a "2019 Ford Ranger" but it looks like it'll work since it is the same 54 pin connection) - https://catalog.pac-audio.com/catalog/backup-camera-retention-harnesses/cam-fd21.

I do not have one so I cannot confirm, but sharing this in case anyone wants to be a guinea pig :).

Last edited:

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
So I come with good news. I spoke with iDatalink Maestro, and I received the following instructions to get the backup camera to work:

1. Cut off the RCA on my F02 harness (the harness they provide) and I'll find a yellow and black wire inside of that.
2. The yellow cable on that RCA will go to pin 14 (white with a green stripe on the 54 pin connector).
4. Ground pin 33.

I'll be able to try this out next week and report back, but thought that this would be helpful for anyone that may be in the same situation as me.

Also, I found a "Reverse Camera Retention Harness" that may accomplish exactly what I've described above (it isn't for a "2019 Ford Ranger" but it looks like it'll work since it is the same 54 pin connection) - https://catalog.pac-audio.com/catalog/backup-camera-retention-harnesses/cam-fd21.

I do not have one so I cannot confirm, but sharing this in case anyone wants to be a guinea pig :).
Nice, I came here looking for this information, just installed a Pioneer 4660 with the F02 harness. I thought I got the wrong harness when the large connector was left unused. Everything is working except for no signal on the backup camera, going to try these steps here.

Last edited:

paquete305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I come with more good news! If you used the F02 harness and are wondering how to get your camera to work, there is an easy solution that requires no custom work of any sort.

1. Get the following adapter - https://catalog.pac-audio.com/catalog/backup-camera-retention-harnesses/cam-fd21 (it says it doesn't work with a Ford Ranger, but it does - I used this same part for my install).

IMG_0358.jpg
2. Take apart your dash.

3. Plug in that adapter to the unused 54 pin connector that probably puzzled you upon initial install.

IMG_0361.jpg
4. Ground the black cable on the adapter (I found a bolt near the airbag that I used). To access this, I lowered my glove compartment.

IMG_0363.jpg
5. Plug the yellow RCA cable into the backup camera dongle from your radio.

6. Celebrate that your camera works!

IMG_0364.jpg

Davejb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL STX
How do you access the settings that were pulled up with the factory ford radio?

paquete305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
How do you access the settings that were pulled up with the factory ford radio?
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like you can. Configure any settings that you need to configure with your stock radio, and then do the swap.

If I ever need to change a setting for something (I imagine maybe something related to FordPass or the Hotspot), I'd need to put everything back the way it was.

Tred

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Delivery driver
I come with more good news! If you used the F02 harness and are wondering how to get your camera to work, there is an easy solution that requires no custom work of any sort.

1. Get the following adapter - https://catalog.pac-audio.com/catalog/backup-camera-retention-harnesses/cam-fd21 (it says it doesn't work with a Ford Ranger, but it does - I used this same part for my install).

IMG_0358.jpg
2. Take apart your dash.

3. Plug in that adapter to the unused 54 pin connector that probably puzzled you upon initial install.

IMG_0361.jpg
4. Ground the black cable on the adapter (I found a bolt near the airbag that I used). To access this, I lowered my glove compartment.

IMG_0363.jpg
5. Plug the yellow RCA cable into the backup camera dongle from your radio.

6. Celebrate that your camera works!

IMG_0364.jpg

4. Ground pin 33.

idatalink tech gave me same info about tapping the 54pin plug and it works. My factory Bluetooth mic don’t work, my warning chimes no longer play through speakers, and my parking assist chimes but no pic on monitor. The JVC head unit I picked is capable of it. My gauges do work after reflagging then maestro rr. What have you not retained? Thanks in advance. Terry

paquete305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
idatalink tech gave me same info about tapping the 54pin plug and it works. My factory Bluetooth mic don’t work, my warning chimes no longer play through speakers, and my parking assist chimes but no pic on monitor. The JVC head unit I picked is capable of it. My gauges do work after reflagging then maestro rr. What have you not retained? Thanks in advance. Terry

Tred,

Below are some things that I've noticed in the short time I've had the radio:

What does not work:
  • Visual notification on backup camera of where the sensor has detected an object. I get a beep, but I do not know where the beep is coming from like before. Like you, I believe my radio has compatibility with this feature, though it just does not work.
  • I do not have a compass anymore on my gauge cluster. I think that this was data passed from the stock radio that the gauge cluster just does not have access to anymore. There is no error message or anything, it just doesn't show the direction I am going in anymore like it used to.
  • OEM microphone does not work anymore, but my radio came with a new one that I just clipped on to my headliner and that is working just fine.
  • Zooming into the backup camera to see the hitch. Maybe it is my radio, but I do not have the option to do this like I did with the factory setup.
  • Accessing factory configuration settings - like to configure FordPass or WiFi hotspot. FordPass is working for me just fine (for most things) as I had configured it before the swap. Hopefully, I never need to access any of these settings as I would have to put everything back to stock.
  • Locating your vehicle using FordPass - originally, I though that this was working since it showed I was at my home address, but it appears that the GPS is in the OEM radio, and removing it prevents the vehicle location feature from working.
  • Vehicle Health Report - This no longer works at all for me.
What works, but different:
  • Warning chimes - they do not come out of the speakers anymore, but rather some speaker that is behind the dash. It was weird at first just because I wasn't used to it but it works just fine for me. I also have a warning chime every time I put my keys in that goes "doo doo doo, doo doo doo" - unsure of what it is and I have no lights or error messages anywhere. I've learned to just think of the sound as a greeting notification now.
  • Backup camera - much much better than the stock 4" screen setup. I've retained my lines from factory, and it being on a bigger screen makes everything much easier to see.
  • "Sync" for calls - technically, my setup isn't "Sync" anymore as I am using wireless Apple CarPlay, though I much prefer this configuration as I can just say "Hey, Siri" or push a button on my steering wheel and call whoever I want or navigate to wherever I want to go without any hassle at all.
  • Oncoming traffic alert when backing up - not sure what the official name of this is, but I'm pretty sure that with my stock radio I would get a notification on the radio when I was backing up if a car was coming (sensors on tail lights). Now, I just get that same notification through my gauge cluster (XLT).

What works like factory:
  • Steering wheel controls - these can be programmed when setting up the iDatalink Maestro unit.
  • Remote functions via FordPass - I can lock, start, and unlock my truck remotely.
  • Remote stats viewing via FordPass - I can see my tire pressure, mileage, oil change interval info, and fuel gauge remotely.

If I notice any other oddities I'll be sure to share. I'm very happy with this setup and am glad that I did the swap, despite the small quirks that I've noted above.

Last edited:

Tred

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Delivery driver
I agree, gains out weigh the losses. If they produce a better harness in the future to work with the maestro, I’m in!

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve got the same setup and same results, the back up camera ground wire works on one of the lower head unit mounting points. I installed the ground plane/gps antenna right on top of the radio, no problems with sat signals.

4D6D4F7A-5F2F-4DDF-B9C7-83044792DEA9.jpeg

I’m researching if we can tap into the OEM microphone and can bus behind the dash.

PapiBigP

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Hey all! I just bought a 2019 XL and the one thing I didn’t pay attention to was the 4.2” stereo until after I bought it. I have read several threads here as well as what some of the sites that sell stereo equipment have stated.

One site that sells equipment says that I will lose Bluetooth, Sync and the backup camera. Another site that sells install parts says I can keep the factory settings. I’ve read here where some folks have successfully installed a stereo and kept everything.

I’m really confused about what I can do and the complexity of this install. If I can do an install and keep my settings does anyone have a list of components that I would need to do that? As far as the head unit goes I would like to stay in the $500 range.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Billho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX 2wd SuperCab, 2002 GMC Sierra
I'm watching this thread, as I want to do the same thing. I am buying a 2019 Ranger XL (being shipped from Florida and arriving this week) and I'm wanting to upgrade to something with Apple Carplay. I'd love to hear any success stories or pitfalls of this. If you have an aftermarket one that works well that doesn't break the bank, that would be good to know.
Sponsored