First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FORD RANGER XLT 4X4
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all,

After reading through the few threads I found on tweeter upgrades I have a few remaining questions. I am looking to only upgrade the tweeters, as I have heard the high end could use some work in the Rangers. I have a 2020 XLT with no stereo upgrades and my questions are:

1. Can I upgrade the tweeters without an auxiliary amp?
2. I found a thread listing these Kickers as a direct fit into the housing, are there any other that folks know will pop right in without soldering or adjustments?
3. I had seen another thread that had door panel speakers and tweeters as a package, and those tweeters had the same plugs as the stock Ranger ones did, so it was an even more direct fit. For the life of me I cannot find them again, but it was a package anyway and I don't need the door panel speakers. My question is, does anyone know the part number or the plug type that our tweeters use to buy OEM or something that I could wire new tweeter wires into. Pictures of the current plug are attached (I would need the female side).

Any additional comments on advise would be appreciated as well.

Thanks.

IMG_7546.jpg

IMG_7547.jpg

IMG_7548.jpg
Sponsored

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Me and FOD (probably others) have added kicker tweets. I used t connectors to splice into the pillar wires in the drivers doors. Let me see if I can find the relevant posts.

I think we used these, but not sure. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20646KT200/Kicker-46KST2004.html

ADDED: Here's a few:

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...o-your-ranger-today.4696/page-540#post-269875

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...o-your-ranger-today.4696/page-539#post-269787

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...o-your-ranger-today.4696/page-538#post-268881

ADDED Again: I'm on the fence if I want to swap the door speakers. I have a scab, so no B&O stereo. I think the stereo sounds pretty good, but it could be better. Just don't know yet if I care. The tweeters were a good upgrade for the price.

Pro tip: If you put the speakers in your cart on Crutchfield and wait a day or 2, they may send you a discount... they did for me and I got $10 off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zetterbeard

Zetterbeard

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FORD RANGER XLT 4X4
Vehicle Showcase
Me and FOD (probably others) have added kicker tweets. I used t connectors to splice into the pillar wires in the drivers doors. Let me see if I can find the relevant posts.

I think we used these, but not sure. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20646KT200/Kicker-46KST2004.html

ADDED: Here's a few:

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...o-your-ranger-today.4696/page-540#post-269875

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...o-your-ranger-today.4696/page-539#post-269787

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...o-your-ranger-today.4696/page-538#post-268881

ADDED Again: I'm on the fence if I want to swap the door speakers. I have a scab, so no B&O stereo. I think the stereo sounds pretty good, but it could be better. Just don't know yet if I care. The tweeters were a good upgrade for the price.

Pro tip: If you put the speakers in your cart on Crutchfield and wait a day or 2, they may send you a discount... they did for me and I got $10 off.
Could you explain the t-connector and crossover. Were you saying (in that first thread you linked) that you didn't cut the stock plug and connected a wire that went to a T then split to include a crossover? Sorry, I am not the most electronic savvy individual.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Could you explain the t-connector and crossover. Were you saying (in that first thread you linked) that you didn't cut the stock plug and connected a wire that went to a T then split to include a crossover? Sorry, I am not the most electronic savvy individual.
For my 2020 lariat scab, the tweeters are connected in parallel with the door speakers. I used these types of connectors at the tweeter wires to connect in the tweeter crossovers. I think I used the red ones. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083S6FVFM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some people don't like these T connectors because they may fail, and they certainly may. But, speakers aren't a critical system, so if they fail you won't die.

To your question, I did not cut the stock plug off the wire. I spliced in using a t connector. Just in case.

OP
OP
Zetterbeard

Zetterbeard

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FORD RANGER XLT 4X4
Vehicle Showcase
Just wanted to bump this to mainly see if anyone has information on the pictured type of plugs. I would like to make this as clean as possible and make my own harness.

IMG_7547.jpg
IMG_7546.jpg
IMG_7548.jpg

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I upgraded mine an I just cut the connector off. I left enough wire on the connector to reattach it if I want later.

Alpharettark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2018 Focus ST, 1999 Boxster, 1987 944 Racecar
I bought JBL Club 602 to upgrade front speakers on my 20 SCab With 6 speakers. The speakers came with a crossover, but since the truck already had separate tweeters do I need a crossover? The factory speakers have a capacitor on them that I’m guessing works as crossover Which implies yes I need to use the one that came with it. If that’s the case can I use it just for the tweeter and leave woofer connected as is?
PS - I’ve used Crutchfield several times but I’m kinda disappointed in this set.none of the adapters would snap the tweeters in - it took some work. And the screw they sent for the woofers were too long.
thanks.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I bought JBL Club 602 to upgrade front speakers on my 20 SCab With 6 speakers. The speakers came with a crossover, but since the truck already had separate tweeters do I need a crossover? The factory speakers have a capacitor on them that I’m guessing works as crossover Which implies yes I need to use the one that came with it. If that’s the case can I use it just for the tweeter and leave woofer connected as is?
PS - I’ve used Crutchfield several times but I’m kinda disappointed in this set.none of the adapters would snap the tweeters in - it took some work. And the screw they sent for the woofers were too long.
thanks.
I think you need the crossovers. The factory tweeters look like they have resisters to block signals that are too low an will damage the speaker. I used a lower priced Hertz kit an the wires had the resisters in them to block low frequencies from getting to the tweeters.

Alpharettark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2018 Focus ST, 1999 Boxster, 1987 944 Racecar
5186CA41-43EE-4B8F-AACA-59CFBC032FBE.jpeg

So yeah i figured I needed the crossover. Saw another thread about where to mount it but here is where I ended up. There’s actually a lot of room here, right behind the storage bin. Still needs more power but sounds way better with 6 new speakers. Better highs and less muddy bass. I’m 62 so entering the “eh?” Phase but even so I can hear the improvement. PS - the way the door latch cable attaches is genius.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
PS - the way the door latch cable attaches is genius.
It's very convenient but being plastic makes me nervous for long term durability. Probably an easy repair.

I have a pair of RF 6.75" 3 way speakers that have been in the closet for a few years. Bought them for an old YJ wrangler but sold it. I'm going to put them in the back doors next spring. Had major shoulder surgery this year an never got around to changing them. Did the fronts. I cut the tweeter connectors leaving enough wire to reinstall them if I want.

I saw a guy put 8" components in the front doors an that got me thinking I'd like better mids.

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
I’ll be upgrading the fronts soon with Kappa Series. But this thread got me thinking why the stock tweeters are so meh! If you crank up the treble with the mid flat the tweets aren’t half bad. But once you add some mandatory mid to offset the bass needed in the doors the tweets get washed out. I wonder if the resistors are only blocking lower bass signals but not enough midrange. I would think a low budget option would be just a set of decent crossovers or new resistors to better isolate the tweets from additional mid range.
Sponsored