[Updated] Ranger Ford Performance Power Pack Performance Tune Software (M-9603-REB) Released!

runner69

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Transit bus mechanic, former Ford master tech
Vehicle Showcase
In addition to improvements in horsepower and torque, which can be measured, the Ford Performance site promises "drive-ability," which sounds a little vague and even subjective to me. What exactly does this mean?
what that means is that power will be smooth and not an on or off power. The transmission will shift to keep the RPM in the ideal power bands
Sponsored

Last edited:

runner69

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The additional $325 buys you a warranty, but also gets you a 50 state-legal calibration. This means Ford has done a full emissions assessment (i.e. re-ran most of the emissions testing that the base truck went through) and worked with CARB to get legal emissions certification via CARB Executive Order. This is lengthy and (very) expensive.

In addition, this calibration has been fully vetted to Ford's standards (wind-tunnel testing, durability fatigue cycles, etc.)

Joe's dyno shop may give you better gains, but you won't get any of the above.
I think just buying the pro cal doesn't get you the "code" for the PCM update.

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats to those who FINALLY received their tune!

I backed out of my order b/c:

1) Too impatient ?​
2) More importantly - The FPP does not allow for the tune to be updated to accommodate bolt-on modifications. So if you wanted to run a down-pipe or upgraded turbo at any point in the future, you'd be out of luck since Ford Performance won't update your tune (and you'd be foolish to run these upgrades without tuning it accordingly)​

The Livernois tune had strong enough reviews from the forum, and the shop has enough history with EcoBoost engines that I, like many others, took that plunge.

This way as I add bolt-on mods (like an SPD Downpipe and aFe Charge Pipes coming in this week?) I can email Livernois with a list of my upgrades, and they will update my specific tune accordingly to keep everything running smoothly. All I do then is download the new file onto my flasher, and bada-bing-bada-BOOM we're back in business.

I know I know... the dang warranty tho! With less than 1% of new cars suffering from catastrophic failures due to manufacturing defects + the fact I logged 9K miles prior to the tune and had no issues (most powertrain defects appear within 1K-4K miles), I talked myself into it.

EKSU

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 White Platinum
Got my Ranger Ecoboot Power in the mail today, scheduling an appointment to go through recalls and have it installed now! Excited.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
I installed the FPP tune this morning. An easy, straightforward process. It provides a very noticeable increase in acceleration and "pull". Of course that assessment is a "seat of the pants" thing.
Shifts feel crisp and at the right time. But my transmission/shifts always felt pretty good to me.
In "D" the trans still skips gears unless I input more throttle than what is sensible for normal around town driving. I have not looked at the tune/tuner to see if there is a way to disable that yet.
My plan is to get to a chassis dyno and get data with the stock tune and the performance tune. I want to know the numbers and compare them side by side. The butt dyno is worthless. It will probably be a few weeks considering the challenges the Chinese Virus that is from "Chi....Na" is inflicting upon us.
When I get data I'll post it here.

Last edited:

McRanger

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger XlT Fx4
What are people paying to get the the tune installed? Had a stealership quote me 290 + taxes.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I have had this "tune" in my Ranger for one week. I have the Borla made, Ford exhaust system, and the Roush intake upgrade as well.

It is everything the Ford Performance guys said it was. Zero to sixty times hover around 6 seconds (temperature related to some extent). I think this is very good considering the altitude is 3,550 feet (Roswell, NM) on average.

What I really like is the mid-range get up and go! If you're in Sports mode, at about 3 rd. gear, and romp on the go pedal, you're met with spinning tires!

2froggy

First Name
Reggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Genesis: 4.6l
Installed today:
cost: $100.00 plus tax - one hour install cost at a local well regarded garage.
performance results: while not a challenge to a Ford Cobra, the improvement throughout the driving range was quite noticeable.
throttle response: seemed quicker and smoother.
transmission: did not notice a difference in how hard it shifted -but seemed to shift more smoothly at the appropriate times with a change in the throttle. I did not do any tests from a standing start.....
mileage: my mileage of 23.4 was left in the computer and this is for almost all around town driving and as I live in a smaller town, not much "stop and go" and most speeds around 35 - 45 mph. My test drive today of 80 miles was out of town on a road with some curves (35 mph) and many straightaways where I ran 55 - 60 mph. Maybe 3 or 4 times I did "pedal to the metal" - once going about 90 mph - and final mileage actually increased actually to 23.7 so I was pleasantly surprised.
gas: tank was filled with "real gas" 91 octane (expensive !!!) - altitude here is 4000'.
Conclusion: while I have been very happy with my 15 month old Ranger, this Performance Pack upgrade makes the vehicle even better and is as nice a ride as I have ever had. If you are expecting a drastic change with the install, then you may be disappointed -but for me it is a nice improvement. Yet to be determined is how towing will be improved -important for me.
Ribbit.

runner69

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
ok so how good does the Ranger run. On my way home from work tonight a BMW X5 tried to pass me on the right after turning onto a 4 lane road. Well after realizing what he was doing I put the pedal to the floor and left him in the dust. 5 miles later we came to a red light and when he pulled up next to me he had a big grin on his face and gave me a thumbs up, I wasn't even in "sport" mode.

Jpeterson

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
Self employed
Got my Pro Cal 4 installed today. Nice shifting and a noticable increase in torque. Nothing crazy but a nice improvement. I am wondering if people are leaving the pro cal plugged in all the time. It does not turn off. Any body leaving it plugged in all the time with no battery issues? Also is there any user manual for the gauge option?

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
Got my Pro Cal 4 installed today. Nice shifting and a noticable increase in torque. Nothing crazy but a nice improvement. I am wondering if people are leaving the pro cal plugged in all the time. It does not turn off. Any body leaving it plugged in all the time with no battery issues? Also is there any user manual for the gauge option?
I don’t leave it plugged in.
I did not find much as far as explanations for the gauges. Most of it is too cryptic for me I guess. Honestly, even if I understood what gauges are what I probably would not use it. I can’t see the tiny text well enough for it to be useful for me.
I do like the increased power though. I have an appointment next Tuesday to run before and after dynos. It’ll be nice to know exactly how much torque it’s making with the tune.

Rickfar

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 supercrew sport
I don’t leave it plugged in.
I did not find much as far as explanations for the gauges. Most of it is too cryptic for me I guess. Honestly, even if I understood what gauges are what I probably would not use it. I can’t see the tiny text well enough for it to be useful for me.
I do like the increased power though. I have an appointment next Tuesday to run before and after dynos. It’ll be nice to know exactly how much torque it’s making with the tune.
I agree with you completely the gages that you can try and see are very cryptic. I find no need to leave it plugged in but I will say it was worth every penny to install it on my ranger. Holly one of the best $640 you could spend on an upgrade And the dealer charged me nothing to install but gave me paperwork that it was installed at a Ford garage. Now granted all he had to do was click on the display to install the tune but I appreciated it very much and it was legal so the warranty is in effect.

Jpeterson

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
Self employed
I thought I was missing something on it. You would think it would have a more practical use if its mounted to the windshield. They even ran the chord through the dash so it looks good. I would have not had them do it if I would have known it was basically a diagnostic tool. I would have had them roll the chord up and stick it in the center console. Maybe there is a way to hook it up to my phone and watch dirty movies on it.
Sponsored