[Updated] Ranger Ford Performance Power Pack Performance Tune Software (M-9603-REB) Released!

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
And it comes with the ProCal 4, a K&N filter and as you pointed out the factory warrantee (which I think is the most important).
Factory warranty if installed by a Ford service center, right? If you plan to avoid the $300 shop visit and do it yourself you might as well go aftermarket and save $ on the tune.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Factory warranty if installed by a Ford service center, right? If you plan to avoid the $300 shop visit and do it yourself you might as well go aftermarket and save $ on the tune.
If your dealership is charging you $300 to reflash the PCM and put a filter ib then you may want to reconsider what dealer you go to.

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
If your dealership is charging you $300 to reflash the PCM and put a filter ib then you may want to reconsider what dealer you go to.
They won't be charging me anything, haha. Only time they'll see this guy is for warranty work.

Dgoodell13

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
I'm not sure if it was brought up yet by anyone but, I spoke with my ford dealer service department and the warranty is not covered by Ford motor company. Meaning the factory warranty would be voided in the case the tune is at fault. The warranty is from ford performance that is a seperate entity, but not Ford motor company. He explained it to me that in the event there were a problem the Ford dealership would not cover it, and there are no ford performance shops to do the warranty work. Which to me says the warranty is pointless. It doesn't seem right but I can see where the dealership can and would screw people.

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
I'm not sure if it was brought up yet by anyone but, I spoke with my ford dealer service department and the warranty is not covered by Ford motor company. Meaning the factory warranty would be voided in the case the tune is at fault. The warranty is from ford performance that is a seperate entity, but not Ford motor company. He explained it to me that in the event there were a problem the Ford dealership would not cover it, and there are no ford performance shops to do the warranty work. Which to me says the warranty is pointless. It doesn't seem right but I can see where the dealership can and would screw people.
Ford Performance will pay your dealer to fix the truck. Your dealer may not know that yet, but that’s the case.

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Sounds like your dealership doesn't know what they're talking about. Having a tune on your truck, Ford Performance or another company, does not automatically void your warranty - ever. Ford has to prove that the tune caused whatever damage you're trying to have warrantied. They would go to Ford Performance, who would send someone (I'm gathering) and ultimately your dealership would do the work and Ford Performance would pay the bill, your factory warranty remains intact.

Spoke with my father (retired from Ford) at length about this earlier this week and of course we spoke of this very thing. Warranties are warranties until a time in which something you've done or had installed externally can be pinpointed as the cause of whatever has happened.

The warranty is worth it.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Another thing to remember. Since Ford came up with this tune I am pretty sure they had it in their minds to keep it at a safe reliable tune where you don'tt have a catastrophic failure. Yes you still take a risk but being 50 state EPA compliant and a small gain compared to other tunes I would say the reliability is going to be there.

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
Another thing to remember. Since Ford came up with this tune I am pretty sure they had it in their minds to keep it at a safe reliable tune where you don'tt have a catastrophic failure. Yes you still take a risk but being 50 state EPA compliant and a small gain compared to other tunes I would say the reliability is going to be there.
A ballpark of development:

Stock tune: 10,000+ hrs, 100+ vehicles, all conditions.

FP Tune: 100’s of hours, 5-10 vehicles, all conditions.

Dyno tune: 45 minutes, 1 car, whatever the weather report says for Wednesday.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

You might be right but could be wrong. What I do know is the Ranger was being tested cor 8 years here in the states before it was released, at the same time it was already being ran in Australia so for tue most part all the bugs got removed(with the exception of the faulty blower motors and the monkeys at the manufacturing plants). Also I am pretty sure Ford Performance has more than just hundreds of hours of testing. There is a good possibility of it being tested right befor the ranger got released. It most likely took a while for release because they wanted to make sure they have a solid reliable tune available.

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
You might be right but could be wrong. What I do know is the Ranger was being tested cor 8 years here in the states before it was released, at the same time it was already being ran in Australia so for tue most part all the bugs got removed(with the exception of the faulty blower motors and the monkeys at the manufacturing plants). Also I am pretty sure Ford Performance has more than just hundreds of hours of testing. There is a good possibility of it being tested right befor the ranger got released. It most likely took a while for release because they wanted to make sure they have a solid reliable tune available.
none of the Australian Market development was on the 2.3...

You can trust what I say... If you read into my post history on here, you can probably deduce why.

Last edited:

Rigwright

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Union Millwright (Retired)

That makes perfect sense.
And is hilarious!

LOLOLOLOLOL!! ?

OKRaptor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2019 Acura RDX and a 2007 Mazda Miata w/turbo
Vehicle Showcase
As with most of us on this forum, I'm of an age where I have owned multiple vehicles over the years that I have modded in the name of better performance. Pretty much every vehicle I have owned in the past 25 years has had something done to the ECU. At the beginning it was a chip you plugged into the back of the ECU, a few years later the ability to flash the ECU has come along. I have either chipped or flashed the ECU for better performance on 14 different vehicle (motorcycles and automobiles) of which five had FI added to them, and two had FI from factory.
So, 25 years and 14 vehicles later I have never had a mechanical issue as a result of a "tune". Is there bad tuners out there? Yes. I believe if you do your homework and some investigation you can find a tuner with a great reputation and if you use them will end up with a good product and no issues. If you choose to use Ford Performance you can't go wrong either. Price wise what Ford is asking for is appropriate based on them offering the warranty and all. But if you are looking for tune for cheaper, than I think you can go another route and you won't have to worry about warranty issues.
With that said, the whole argument of a custom tune being better than a canned tune is bunk unless you have modded the crap out of your motor and your racing it down track. The OEM tune, factory program, is a canned tune. All ECUs out of the factory are the same for every vehicle whether shipping to East coast or the West coast or anywhere in between. When a tuner "tunes" your vehicle he is only changing certain parameters necessary to accommodate the changes made to extract more power i.e. increase in boost, etc. The original program strategies and base parameters are still intact and the programs will still utilize all sensors in place and adjust as they would when stock.
Pick your poison and don't worry about it. If concerned about warranty, then go with the Ford Performance tune. If you are looking to extract a bit more performance or just want a tune for much less, then go with one of the several options out there. But whatever you do, do your home work and go with what will work for you. :like:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I see you had a Roush 6.2L... you had my fingerprints in your ECU (can't believe it's been a decade.)

IMG_2993.JPG

RPP.JPG

I've moved on to a new... but... ahem... related employer, but it was a good gig.
My Ranger is the first Ford I have owned. I have driven a few 6.2 raptor and in my opinion in not impressed. I think think Ford over exaggerated the 6.2 way too much.
Sponsored