Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
So, I see everyone's recommendations for lifting the rear comes in a couple variations, all of which involve the leaf springs - either with a block or with additional leafs.

So my question is this.

As I understand it the shocks in the rear are intended to provide suspension - it's only under load the leaf springs come into play providing then, a different suspension experience.

if this is the case, how does modifying the leaf springs provide the lift we're after? Wouldn't we look to block the rear shocks instead?
Sponsored

RangerTaz

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
So, I see everyone's recommendations for lifting the rear comes in a couple variations, all of which involve the leaf springs - either with a block or with additional leafs.

So my question is this.

As I understand it the shocks in the rear are intended to provide suspension - it's only under load the leaf springs come into play providing then, a different suspension experience.

if this is the case, how does modifying the leaf springs provide the lift we're after? Wouldn't we look to block the rear shocks instead?
Springs provide resistance to force, so if you have a stiffer spring (by adding an extra leaf) you will reduce the amount of spring deflection under the same load (weight of the rear end of the truck). If you haven't added weight to the rear, the truck will sit higher.

Shock absorbers predominantly provide damping, which is resistance to velocity (speed) rather than force. The faster the rear end moves up/down, the more damping the shocks will provide to slow down that movement.

Something else to consider is the amount of travel of the stock shocks. If you raise the rear with a block or extra leaf and don't offset this with weight in the back, the shocks could get over extended.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So for springs it really depends on the design. The factory springs are know as parabolic or mono leafs. They are definitely something else to say the least and too my understanding there is an option to add a leaf to them for lift and load capacity. Then you have what is know as the multi leaf or traditional leaf. They can be both linear or Progressive type springs depending on the manufacturer. They can also be the same as the factory spring for load capacity and provide lift as long as the spring is designed to do so.

Now you might wonder if a leaf or block is the better for your situation. Well I might beable to help you out on that. As we all know a block is much cheaper than a replacement leaf. It doesnt mean it is necessarily worse. Its just a cost effective way to raise or lower on a budget.

There are some things you need to ask yourself to find out what is better for you. Are you looming for only looks? Are you looking for functionality? Do you want more travel for Offroad(if you do go Offroad)? Are you looking to keep the factory load capacity when you lift or do you want to increase it a bit?

To answer that a leaf is usually going to be a better option. I myself replaced the rear leaf with the Old Man EMU leafs when i installed the lift kit. It is the standard load so my capacity is still the same. I get more travel out of the rear end because the leaf is designed to flex more than the factory leaf. I can also tow with little issues as long as im not being stupid.

Now if you only want looks and you dont go Offroad then blocks can be a great option for you.

I hope this helps.

OP
OP
tehschkott

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
You know, it does a bit. I feel pretty good about the direction I'm going but it's good to talk with someone else who thinks about these things as well.

I definitely do a fair amount of offroading, a bare minimum of rock crawling (as in basically none, I do not particularly like doing it myself) and my wife and I do a great deal of camping and mountain biking. If you've seen my trip posts you'll have some idea. Or here's my IG to give a taste.

https://www.instagram.com/radiotrucksquad/

Truck life is going to change for me soon. I have a deposit for a Vagabond Drifter down and a build date of THIS Feb/March. So it's coming fast.

https://vagabondoutdoors.com/product/the-drifter/

I will be, I think, their first Ranger. Depending on who you ask it weighs between 315 and 330lbs and it's not coming off the truck once it goes on. I don't have anywhere to keep it. I'm perfectly okay with that. That's before gear and bikes; that's just the lid. Add in 2 people with travel gear and fuel and food and water and bullshit, that weight comes up pretty fast even if you're being careful.

This brings me to todays topic. Rear suspension. I have some adds I'm getting loaded up to deal with it.

https://automotiveperformancegroup.com/product/s20-009/
The HD Deaver leaf pack from APG

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/7778-2019-Ford-Ranger-Hellwig-Adjustable-Rate-Rear-Sway-Bar.html
The beefier sway bar from Hellwig

Articulation... isn't really my jam. Which isn't to say I won't take it but I have a lift and a locker and 4wd and terrain management and a winch and I'm not doing Fins and Things. If I have to sacrifice a bit of articulation for load carrying, I'm good for it. This platform has better strengths.

But all this also has me thinking about the whole suspension kit and the direction I've gone so far which has been a little haphazard. I wonder if full travel Billsteins or OME would have been a better direction for me to go. I feel like my present suspension kit is suboptimal; I have the cheaper non-adjustable remote-reservoir ICONS in the rear, and FOX 2.0 coilovers in the front.

They feel fine but I know mix and match was not the smartest move. I didn't understand the difference in the beginning and I was impatient. I think I'm already in territory that makes backing out and doing OME/Billstein a bit silly, that I need to just move forward and pick either FOX or ICON and own it - but not both, and not different. But I'm annoyed I did this to myself.

I think the plan is to get matchy match and replace the ICONs in the rear with FOX (it's cheaper to go that direction than it is the other way) and rely on the nicer APG HD/Deaver leaf springs and the beefier swaybar address the weight carrying. That is I think, the plan. But if you've thoughts I'm open. I'm a man of limited means and big appetites. I have to phase-in what I want. The camper deal was too good to pass up (I bought someones reservation and cut in line almost 15 months of wait-list). That has accelerated my timetables re: suspension. So here I am, asking dumb questions trying to avoid more expensive mistakes.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You know, it does a bit. I feel pretty good about the direction I'm going but it's good to talk with someone else who thinks about these things as well.

I definitely do a fair amount of offroading, a bare minimum of rock crawling (as in basically none, I do not particularly like doing it myself) and my wife and I do a great deal of camping and mountain biking. If you've seen my trip posts you'll have some idea. Or here's my IG to give a taste.

https://www.instagram.com/radiotrucksquad/

Truck life is going to change for me soon. I have a deposit for a Vagabond Drifter down and a build date of THIS Feb/March. So it's coming fast.

https://vagabondoutdoors.com/product/the-drifter/

I will be, I think, their first Ranger. Depending on who you ask it weighs between 315 and 330lbs and it's not coming off the truck once it goes on. I don't have anywhere to keep it. I'm perfectly okay with that. That's before gear and bikes; that's just the lid. Add in 2 people with travel gear and fuel and food and water and bullshit, that weight comes up pretty fast even if you're being careful.

This brings me to todays topic. Rear suspension. I have some adds I'm getting loaded up to deal with it.

https://automotiveperformancegroup.com/product/s20-009/
The HD Deaver leaf pack from APG

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/7778-2019-Ford-Ranger-Hellwig-Adjustable-Rate-Rear-Sway-Bar.html
The beefier sway bar from Hellwig

Articulation... isn't really my jam. Which isn't to say I won't take it but I have a lift and a locker and 4wd and terrain management and a winch and I'm not doing Fins and Things. If I have to sacrifice a bit of articulation for load carrying, I'm good for it. This platform has better strengths.

But all this also has me thinking about the whole suspension kit and the direction I've gone so far which has been a little haphazard. I wonder if full travel Billsteins or OME would have been a better direction for me to go. I feel like my present suspension kit is suboptimal; I have the cheaper non-adjustable remote-reservoir ICONS in the rear, and FOX 2.0 coilovers in the front.

They feel fine but I know mix and match was not the smartest move. I didn't understand the difference in the beginning and I was impatient. I think I'm already in territory that makes backing out and doing OME/Billstein a bit silly, that I need to just move forward and pick either FOX or ICON and own it - but not both, and not different. But I'm annoyed I did this to myself.

I think the plan is to get matchy match and replace the ICONs in the rear with FOX (it's cheaper to go that direction than it is the other way) and rely on the nicer APG HD/Deaver leaf springs and the beefier swaybar address the weight carrying. That is I think, the plan. But if you've thoughts I'm open. I'm a man of limited means and big appetites. I have to phase-in what I want. The camper deal was too good to pass up (I bought someones reservation and cut in line almost 15 months of wait-list). That has accelerated my timetables re: suspension. So here I am, asking dumb questions trying to avoid more expensive mistakes.
If anything you realize the mistake you have made and thay itself is ok. If it were me I would replace the rears woth the Fox and put the APG springs on. As for the rear sway bar I would leave it be. Why you ask? It heavily reduces articulation amd can make the light trais a bit of a pain as well. I do understand your concern when loaded down but you should be fine. The APG leafs do a pretty good job to my understanding and will still provide a little bit of lift. Do understand as well that the heavy set of leafs are designed more for the extra weight being there constantly vs every once in a while.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Swapping out the rear shackles is an option to the question of lifting the rear, such as the BDS one inch shackles. Given that the rear shocks can support a one inch increase. I am currently level with bilsteins all around with the front shocks set to 2.5" of lift with factory coils, but when I put Kings I would like to go 3" or the full 3.5" in front and put the 1" shackles in the rear with the apg springs. How do you guys feel about the 1" shackles? I am curious. I think the 3.5" lift on these trucks looks sweet. Thanks.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Swapping out the rear shackles is an option to the question of lifting the rear, such as the BDS one inch shackles. Given that the rear shocks can support a one inch increase. I am currently level with bilsteins all around with the front shocks set to 2.5" of lift with factory coils, but when I put Kings I would like to go 3" or the full 3.5" in front and put the 1" shackles in the rear with the apg springs. How do you guys feel about the 1" shackles? I am curious. I think the 3.5" lift on these trucks looks sweet. Thanks.
Because I dont have too much experience with aftermarket shackles I can't really say much. I have considered the idea but when Old Man EMU released thier kit I decided to go that roynt instead. Honestly if you plan to go offroad I would highlt recommend leafs over blocks or shackles because you gain travel with a replacement leaf. With blocks and shackles the leaf still flexes the same distance. That is my input.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Because I dont have too much experience with aftermarket shackles I can't really say much. I have considered the idea but when Old Man EMU released thier kit I decided to go that roynt instead. Honestly if you plan to go offroad I would highlt recommend leafs over blocks or shackles because you gain travel with a replacement leaf. With blocks and shackles the leaf still flexes the same distance. That is my input.
Thanks Frenchy. I don't think the APG leaf springs add any rear lift, which is why I am thinking of using them with the 1" shackles for the "look" and performance.
Sponsored