Unicorn Tremor: intro, issues, and questions

JeeperCreeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep + Ranger Tremor
Hey all, thanks for having me! Not really sure where to put this as I have a long generalized post, might need to chop it down into other areas as time goes on.

Regardless, this is my journey with Dealerships, Ordering, and Pricing of my Unicorn-to-me-Ranger-Tremor. I put the highlights in BOLD.

As my name implies, I'm a big Jeep guy and just kept my screen name from other forums. But, life events have made me partially ditch the Jeep life and transition to Ford Truck life, as I grew up with Ford and love the Rangers. Long story short, I live in Alaska, need a very utility vehicle that can do all things (tow, hunt, fish, camp, commute, offroad, road trip, etc)... Plus I have my first kid on the way, just bought a house, yada yada yada... gotta upgrade.

Choices were between Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Ram Classic, and Ford Ranger because reasons. I normally drive old beaters, but with a kid and an insane care market both nationally and more so in the Great White North, new is my only real option. Ended up selling an old Montero and a zodiac boat... with plans to sell or trade a Grand Cherokee to finance my new ride.

Which brings me to where I am now.

Being in Alaska, supply is small and shipping takes eons. Having punched the numbers, a new Ford Ranger is actually cheaper than the used ones on the lot. The dealership had a Ranger Tremor on order (In Transit, not yet arrived). I put money down on this Ranger. I also understand that a deposit is not necessarily a legal contract. Regardless, I have the VIN and Order Number in my possession, so I can keep tabs on my potential Ranger Tremor.

I would have preferred a more Base Model XL Sport or even an FX4, but again, in this market, I guess I can upgrade.

Thanks to this forum, I found I can get X-Plan pricing as I am a shareholder in Ford (bought a good amount during the Corona Crash). Both dealerships near my area only offer X-Plan on Customer Special Orders. However, with 2 easy phone calls, my salesman and his manager agreed to honor the X-Plan pricing on the soon-to-be-Tremor that I already put a deposit on. That's a win in my book, even if it is standard, in this market.

The Truck is a Blue XLT Tremor. Cold Weather package. Invoice pricing I believe is around $40k, so I think my cost will be around $40-41K once it arrives. I wanna say MSRP listed was $42 or $43k.

Only issue is, the truck was built end-of-June. Ford's website shows the truck as still not shipped. Delivery date has changed from end of August, through September, and now October 10 is projected ETA. The dealer does not have any extra info on where it is or when it will arrive. I want to say I put money down in June or July.

At this point I'm waiting on truck for 3 months that was already ordered and allegedly already built. Probably sitting in a lot waiting for chips or a door panel. I was hoping to get it before winter hits (winter is coming...). I still hope to get it before my kid arrives (February).

I was told Ford is prioritizing customer builds. I got mixed answers on Ford's delivery times for Customer orders from 3 months to over 6 months. I'm starting to think I should have just ordered a mid-featured XL 4x4 with X-plan to give my a utility truck with the basics for around $35-37k. You know, since I'm already at over 3 months of waiting. The Tremor is awesome, but I don't NEED those features for day to day stuff.

Anyways, I hope someone can weigh in on their experiences.

Questions:

1. Has anyone else waiting this long for a truck that was "already built"?

2. How long are Customer Orders taking if I decide just go abandon my Unicorn-Tremor and go Base 4x4?

3. I need to tow light loads occasionally. My potential Tremor does not have a tow package. I can add a hitch/receiver and remove the Tremor recover hooks. Does a Tremor come standard with electronic trailer hook ups and tow/haul mode on the center console?

4. Any advice? What am I doing wrong, what am I doing right?
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Grussell

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat 4X4 Screw, 17 Escape Titanium
Occupation
retired fire fighter
Questions:

2. How long are Customer Orders taking if I decide just go abandon my Unicorn-Tremor and go Base 4x4?

3. I need to tow light loads occasionally. My potential Tremor does not have a tow package. I can add a hitch/receiver and remove the Tremor recover hooks. Does a Tremor come standard with electronic trailer hook ups and tow/haul mode on the center console?

I am almost in the same boat as you. I did a custom order Ranger Lariat Crewcab 4X4 back on April 21, 2021. At that time it had an expected delivery period near the end of July. Fast forward to the end of July and NO Ranger.

My Ranger was supposed to be built on 8/12 yet today it still shows "IN PRODUCTION" but my dealer's GM says it is built and awaiting shipping. The moving ball for estimated delivery is currently 9/27. I am not expecting anything until the middle of October at the earliest.

I don't know about abandoning the order and going with something else. That thought hasn't crossed my mind. Unless something crazy happens, I intend to wait for it. I bet you would be 3 or 4 months from order to delivery at best, worst you will be waiting 6 months or longer since they are about to transition to the 22 model year with those changes.

Here is a link to the standard equipment and options, that should answer your third question. https://media.ford.com/content/dam/...oduct/2021/ranger/2021-Ranger-Order-Guide.pdf

Best of luck to you!

jthompson48

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Military
Hey all, thanks for having me! Not really sure where to put this as I have a long generalized post, might need to chop it down into other areas as time goes on.

Regardless, this is my journey with Dealerships, Ordering, and Pricing of my Unicorn-to-me-Ranger-Tremor. I put the highlights in BOLD.

As my name implies, I'm a big Jeep guy and just kept my screen name from other forums. But, life events have made me partially ditch the Jeep life and transition to Ford Truck life, as I grew up with Ford and love the Rangers. Long story short, I live in Alaska, need a very utility vehicle that can do all things (tow, hunt, fish, camp, commute, offroad, road trip, etc)... Plus I have my first kid on the way, just bought a house, yada yada yada... gotta upgrade.

Choices were between Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Ram Classic, and Ford Ranger because reasons. I normally drive old beaters, but with a kid and an insane care market both nationally and more so in the Great White North, new is my only real option. Ended up selling an old Montero and a zodiac boat... with plans to sell or trade a Grand Cherokee to finance my new ride.

Which brings me to where I am now.

Being in Alaska, supply is small and shipping takes eons. Having punched the numbers, a new Ford Ranger is actually cheaper than the used ones on the lot. The dealership had a Ranger Tremor on order (In Transit, not yet arrived). I put money down on this Ranger. I also understand that a deposit is not necessarily a legal contract. Regardless, I have the VIN and Order Number in my possession, so I can keep tabs on my potential Ranger Tremor.

I would have preferred a more Base Model XL Sport or even an FX4, but again, in this market, I guess I can upgrade.

Thanks to this forum, I found I can get X-Plan pricing as I am a shareholder in Ford (bought a good amount during the Corona Crash). Both dealerships near my area only offer X-Plan on Customer Special Orders. However, with 2 easy phone calls, my salesman and his manager agreed to honor the X-Plan pricing on the soon-to-be-Tremor that I already put a deposit on. That's a win in my book, even if it is standard, in this market.

The Truck is a Blue XLT Tremor. Cold Weather package. Invoice pricing I believe is around $40k, so I think my cost will be around $40-41K once it arrives. I wanna say MSRP listed was $42 or $43k.

Only issue is, the truck was built end-of-June. Ford's website shows the truck as still not shipped. Delivery date has changed from end of August, through September, and now October 10 is projected ETA. The dealer does not have any extra info on where it is or when it will arrive. I want to say I put money down in June or July.

At this point I'm waiting on truck for 3 months that was already ordered and allegedly already built. Probably sitting in a lot waiting for chips or a door panel. I was hoping to get it before winter hits (winter is coming...). I still hope to get it before my kid arrives (February).

I was told Ford is prioritizing customer builds. I got mixed answers on Ford's delivery times for Customer orders from 3 months to over 6 months. I'm starting to think I should have just ordered a mid-featured XL 4x4 with X-plan to give my a utility truck with the basics for around $35-37k. You know, since I'm already at over 3 months of waiting. The Tremor is awesome, but I don't NEED those features for day to day stuff.

Anyways, I hope someone can weigh in on their experiences.

Questions:

Within the last few weeks my dad was talking to a dealer to order a scab. Got setup with x plan and was ready to order... then was told 6-8 months for delivery and decided to let things settle down.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Man, I hope your truck arrives soon - “winter“ is closer than most folks on the forum realize. If you’ve paid attention, you’ve see that most of the members here appear to be from Arizona, Cali, or Texas.

I was surprised by the “cold weather package” you mentioned - that’s gotta be more than a block heater, right? Battery blanket? Heated everything? Winter tires? Just curious.

Now, for the six or eight of us on here from Canada, you’ll need to forward us the appropriate royalty fee for use of the term “Great White North”. Seriously, nations have gone to war over less.

A two-four of Molson will do just fine.

794872D7-F849-483A-A2CA-4D06377D5F83.jpeg