Aggressive extended care sales / Turbo issues?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Joe,

I hear ya! I did a 3rd party one via my Michigan Credit Union where I bank. DFCU Financial only offers things of value to their customers and I have been with them for just under 50 years now! I did so due to the electronics complexity that is beyond me in my old age to diagnose or repair...

best,
Phil
Sponsored

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Man that's a crappy experience. Can you imagine the nerve of these people to tell you the $40k vehicle you want to purchase is so unreliable you have to buy an extended warranty??
I get that anytime I buy something where they sell additional warranty. When they get real pushy I generally say; "so you are telling me I shouldn't buy this and should go else where".

Last year when I purchased my wife's Jeep Cherokee the business manager whipped out a chart with an exponential curve on it to try and convince me to buy an extended warranty. I told him the curve was BS and if he had any ideal of what the characteristic life cycle curve of a manufactured product looked like he would toss that chart in the trash. His response was "I guess you don't want the warranty".

Elgorr4

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
I buy one because of all the sensors and computers, not due to turbo possible problems.
This was the big sales pitch to me "there are over 100 sensors and computers in this truck and the average repair bill at this dealership when people come in for a computer is over $3200 dollars" the warranty they were selling me was like $6500 bucks so I could have TWO computer failures and still not pay for that warranty. I still would rather roll the dice. I've got the cash to fix it if it does break. They prey on people who cannot afford an unexpected $3200 expense, but who can afford the additional $70 a month. Bunch of crooks.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
This was the big sales pitch to me "there are over 100 sensors and computers in this truck and the average repair bill at this dealership when people come in for a computer is over $3200 dollars" the warranty they were selling me was like $6500 bucks….

I paid just under $1000 for 7yr 125,000 miles for a warranty for my $61k 4 door Rubicon. No way would $6500 even be given a second of time. Search and they are out there.

I paid less for my 2021 Lariat FX4 extended warranty a year ago.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
I paid just under $1000 for 7yr 125,000 miles for a warranty for my $61k 4 door Rubicon. No way would $6500 even be given a second of time. Search and they are out there.

Totally agree!
$6500 gives new meaning to the word "absurd"...

Elgorr4

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL

It was also a service plan that included 15 oil changes, as well as a bunch of detail services at the end of the 5 years. Still not worth it but it was a lot more than just a warranty. When I refinanced, the refinance guy was gonna sell me a warranty for $1100 which seemed pretty good but I didn't go for it just on principal.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Nothing wrong with some 3 rd party warranties, but you will then here them says how it’s not as good as the Ford warranty and that prolongs the sales pitch.

I buy one because of all the sensors and computers, not due to turbo possible problems
When I cancelled my $2500 5yr 100K 3rd party ESP and bought a $1600 8yr 125K ESP from Grainger, the seller at the dealer told me that the Ford plan is not as good as the 3rd party. Reasons were stated in his e-mail:

"I will give you my personally opinion on this matter and you can take it for what it's worth! And I do not sell the product, I only sell the vehicle. I can see how and why you think we should offer customers both plans but in all honestly the (3rd party) ESP plan is better. It offers more common coverages that are needed and one of the bigger differences that struck me was this example- Ford does not offer tire and rim protection but they do offer lost key protection. ESP does offer tire and rim protection but does not offer the lost key protection. You already have two keys that come with the vehicle so if one is lost not that big of an inconvenience and it rarely happens. Most all people end up having to replace a tire at some point and some may even need rim work at some point."

He then goes on to confirm my reason for wanting Ford Protect over the 3rd party ESP:

"Now I will also say this Ford is covered obviously by every dealership across the nation. ESP is covered by most dealerships in this region. So if you were to move then yes Ford may be better in that instance
."

OneMore

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
On the original topic. "Being told that the turbo is a ticking time bomb".
You don't need an extended warranty to cover this.
The Feds require a 8 year 80,000 mile manufactures warranty on emissions equipment.
Fuel pump, injectors, ECU, turbo ( if equipped as stock ) and any other emissions related items.
This is stated in the owners manual.

You may want coverage for other items such as infotainment screen and other equipment.
Sponsored