Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Third and Fourth Totally Useless Features
For me, the SiriusXM radio & trial subscription
I can’t imagine how this would cause you an actual issue that’s worthy of a forum post, but if it bothers you that badly, Forscan can take SXM out of your audio Sources menu.
Sponsored

UncleBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 2WD in Magnetic
Occupation
Retired
How wide is your garage door opening ?
I park in the single car space while my bride used the double car space (3-car garage).
When I pass thru the door frame on the single car side with the mirrors extend, the gap to the frame on each side is about 2-3" if I am centered correctly.

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Out of my Ford truck history, two Rangers and five F-150s, I've never had a sliding rear window. I never liked the look of it nor ever felt like it was a feature I needed in the first place. The non-sliding rear window just looks cleaner to me. ?‍♂

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
The Sliding Back Window – After driving a Sport Trac for 13 years with a wide, full opening top to bottom electric window, that could be opened or closed while going down the highway, this tiny, square, manually sliding window, is useless to me. I don’t foresee a time when I will ever be driving down the interstate and decide I want to open it, pull over to the side of the road, get out, get in the back seat, and open the window manually. This window should have been designed with the convenience of an electric switch to be used from the driver’s seat.
On my "plain jane" XL Ranger with manual keys, manual side mirrors, no GPS, on/off heating/cooling control and manual seat position control but the only special option item I ordered was this tiny, square manual sliding window. By installing a mesh screen, on the outside, it helps tremendously on reliving hot air accumulation inside the vehicle in the summer time. By crawling in the back to open/close this window keeps my muscles in shape. :cool:
BTW … What do you expect from a vehicle with a MSRP of $24,300?

JimH

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
Retired
I I have a two car garage with one door, in order to fit both my Ranger and my wife’s Santa Fe and get the doors open I have to pull in and then tuck the truck all the way over, so I’m literally an inch or two from the door opening when I pull in/out. I retract my mirrors so I only have to move over a little to clear the door opening.
Exactly the situation I have (although wife's car is a Honda Pilot), My mirrors are manual - wish they were power - especially when it's raining and I have to open the window to fold the driver's mirror... I can only fold the driver's mirror, wish they were both powered!

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Probably.... If not, it is likely related to some degree.
The effect does not produce any pure sound and so is not tonal in nature.
It is more like a constant harsh "buffeting" without much disturbance inside the cab.
Roll your front window(s) down and drive +40MPH, then report back here with a better explanation.

On my TC, Ford claims that rolling the back side windows down will mitigate the effect, if it does it is not by much.
Unfortunately my SuperCab Ranger has fixed rear and side rear windows.
When my kids were little they would say that there was a helicopter in the car!

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I can’t imagine how this would cause you an actual issue that’s worthy of a forum post, but if it bothers you that badly, Forscan can take SXM out of your audio Sources menu.
@GaryMc's original post was to state what he finds to be, "Two Totally Useless Features As They Came From the Factory" I have two of my own. The S/XM and wifi hotspot for my use are added cost features that I could do without. If it would have been possible, I would not have paid extra for an audio system with either one or both. It's not an issue, just hardware that I don't use.

Arc Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL SuperCrew with STX package
Vehicle Showcase
I actually like the rear sliding window even though I don't use it all that often. When I'm traveling somewhere with the family on a nice day my son is the one that will open and close it since I can't reach from the driver seat. Also it is has come in handy a few times when picking up pvc pipe or moldings. Run it from the back corner of the bed through to the front of the cab. Not sure how I would get that stuff home without my handy little rear window.

JimH

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
Retired
I had that little window on my 2005 F-150 for 15 years -- In that time, I think it got opened twice at the most. When I was picking out my 2020 Ranger, one of the things I made sure I didn't get was that window!! It's nice to be able to look in the rear view mirror and not have that annoying window in the middle of the view!!

pa-fatboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Mustang GT Premium, 1966 Mustang Convertible C Code, 2019 Ford Fusion, 2005 Ford Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
Folding mirrors in this truck are for occasional use, like on a tight trail. People who have looked at the motors are doubtful that they'd stand up to years of use multiple times per day, which is probably why Ford didn't add auto folding. I assume it'll be in the next gen, and that they'll add more room for a beefier motor.
I have had my Ranger For 1 year now. I just learned about the folding mirrors several months ago. Someone was putting together bulk bulk buys for an adapter that folded the mirrors automatically each time the ignition was shut off. For me, I do not have a need to fold them that much. I park in my driveway with lots of room.

I had a BMW 328xi that had folding mirrors. The only time i used them in the Bimmer and my Ranger is going through a car wash or in tight parking where the driver mirror could be clipped by a passing car. I’m hoping to join a 4x4 park near me. I probably will not take my Ranger down trails that are tight enough to make me want to fold them in. I’m not driving a trailer queen, but i do like to keep it shiny without dents or scratches it.

Bottom Line, I do not rank this function on the need to have list very high. I hope Ford leaves the motor and it’s function as is. I wouldn’t want to pay for upgrades to the external mirror and it’s functionality.

Jake596

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT/2013 F-150/1976 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Funny the things we all differ on in the wants and needs department. The irony behind my XLT is I wanted a 4x4 XL with only one option, the rear diff lock, but the incentives on the XLTs made them substantially cheaper than any other trim level at the time.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Funny the things we all differ on in the wants and needs department. The irony behind my XLT is I wanted a 4x4 XL with only one option, the rear diff lock, but the incentives on the XLTs made them substantially cheaper than any other trim level at the time.
That's what I wanted, a low option model with 4x4, tow package, and locking diff. My wife vetoed the low option model, I think she was worried (probably right) that I'd get annoyed and want to trade up.

bkosh84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Construction Supervisor
I have. In fact, I can't recall off the top of my head any of my cars where the switch didn't work like that.

Rear window is easy to reach in a scab. I never use it anyway because there aren't many days where the weather in these parts makes me want to.

Folding mirrors in this truck are for occasional use, like on a tight trail. People who have looked at the motors are doubtful that they'd stand up to years of use multiple times per day, which is probably why Ford didn't add auto folding. I assume it'll be in the next gen, and that they'll add more room for a beefier motor.
Every vehicle I ever owned that has/had this feature still allows the driver to control the windows while still disabling the switches in the back seats.
Sponsored