First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
Sorry I have the memory of a fish sometimes. At least yours is at 85. Mine starts right at 70 and stays all the way to 80, which just happens to be my cruising speeds on the highway here :/
I don't have any driveline vibes at highway speeds, we have plenty of roads around here with ripples that do that for us. I have the take off shudder and have reduced it by removing the flat shims the dealership should have when they did the TSB. I have to re-check my pinion angle (last check was 4.7°) and get the correct angled shims.
Sponsored

Jmckinley

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C Max, 2019 Ranger XLT SuperCab, Kawasaki VX 300, Mazda Miata, Damon Motorhome
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Does anyone know if engine should be running while checking transmission fluid level? Shop manual is unclear.

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
I had mine in the shop three times for this. The Ford fix hasn't done squat for my shuddering problem. Maybe a class action suit would make them work a little harder at this.
I can't believe how much all of us are doing to rectify this issue. Why in the hell isn't Ford doing anything other than putting a TSB out that doesn't do much, if anything, to fix the issue. If you think about it, doesn't the driveshaft angle change when the load on the truck changes? Why would setting the driveshaft angle fix the problem when that angle is always changing? I guess I don't have enough brain matter to understand this. lol

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
It appears that the bronco does not have this problem. Maybe the next gen Ranger will have fixed it.

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4 Off Road
Occupation
Technical
FYI I have been working closely with Tom Woods on this, they would have had one out sooner but had issues with the flanges, they were going to have to make an adapter. Well I was able to track them down for them so they ordered 50 of them. They will now have these out any day now. The only reason I am going locally is because I like knowing I could always go back if I ever need anything addressed. My local shop provides lifetime warranty on their work and have been doing this for 25 years. If interested call Tom Woods and put yourself down for the one piece. Its coming out soon. Their work is top notch.
Can you update us on your one piece drive shaft?

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Can you update us on your one piece drive shaft?
Sure. Not issues so far. Truck drives smooth 90 percent of the time. On occasion I'll get some minor vibration in the rear, but I am pretty sure it's the tires. The NVH app also confirms this. Overall it's greatly improved the ride of the truck. Took the truck on a 4 hour off road trip recently and no issues. Will be doing some off roading today also.

pvinthemix

First Name
PV
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Tech
Purchased my 2021 Ranger Lariat last week. Immediately noticed the vibration from 0-10 miles per hour. Took it into the dealership and they are going to add the shim kit. We'll see how it goes.

Not sure if it has been said here but the TSB now includes 2021s.

pvinthemix

First Name
PV
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Tech
Had the TSB done today at the dealership where they installed the shim kit. It was under warranty. The problem was resolved in my case. The shudder vibration is not noticeable anymore. The car drives much smoother after a stop. Im happy with the results.

Here are the notes from my install:

Road test vehicle with customer, verified customers concern. Found TSB 21-2136 related to the concern. Followed the TSB and found pinion angle at 4.9. Spec according to TSB is 5.0-6.0 degrees. Adjusted pinion angle by .5 degree shim. Road tested vehicle and confirmed the vibration was noticeably decreased. Re-measured the pinion angle and found angle at 5.75. Can not adjust pinion angle anymore

Travis9935

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Does this fix the hideous random belt squeeling type noise from the rear? Possibly the center bearing?

Barefootmoney1969

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Physician
I had center bearing shimmed and improved it 75%. Tolerable now. I wonder if the BDS shackles would improve the pinion angle to resolve the rest?

Travis9935

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
I had center bearing shimmed and improved it 75%. Tolerable now. I wonder if the BDS shackles would improve the pinion angle to resolve the rest?
I have then and didn't notice any difference in that. But I do have a horrendous squeel from back there randomly when cold it seems. 2021 5k miles ?

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I have a 2019 and have never had the take-off low speed vibration, but I measured mine just in case and it came out to 5.30 degrees even after the extra lift on the front. Weird how some have it and some do not.
Sponsored