Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Hi Clement,

Two piece driveshafts have been around for a long time, and so has start up shudder. Some vehicles are more prone to it than others. My first experience was the 1974 Super Cab launch. Horrible start up shudder on about have the pre production builds. We had to back track on pinion angle and pretty much solved it for Job #1, but there was some midnight oil burnt for sure.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil, just as a matter of curiosity, was the shudder in the '74 Super Cabs restricted to vehicles with an automatic transmission or did it occur with manual transmissions as well? Personally, I would much rather have a manual transmission than an automatic, but that's just me. When I go to Europe this summer I am going to try to drive a Ranger over there with the six speed manual transmission just to see how it behaves.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil, just as a matter of curiosity, was the shudder in the '74 Super Cabs restricted to vehicles with an automatic transmission or did it occur with manual transmissions as well? Personally, I would much rather have a manual transmission than an automatic, but that's just me. When I go to Europe this summer I am going to try to drive a Ranger over there with the six speed manual transmission just to see how it behaves.
Hi Bill,

A long time ago, but you jogged my memory and the problems were associated a mixed bag of transmissions, but the builds were skewed toward automatics, so it would be interesting to rehash this experience with my experiences of which I lacked on this pre launch back some 40 years ago...
The problem is that you can only drive a tiny sample that might or might not flush out a systemic problem. We had a terrible problem at Ford for dismissing a problem as it was a Onezee. We only built one of a problem unit and dismissed it. When I got to the point I was in a responsible position, I told my engineers...there are no Onezee's in this business and we needed to understand and fix these Onezees. It is a trap many fall into until they gain experience by having this mindset bite them in the ass. I certainly have teeth marks on my behind as I learned the vehicle engineering trade...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
Chief,
My 94 Ranger 2wd 3L V6 Supercab Manual developed a driveline shudder on take off a few months after buying it. It was resolved by the dealer with no issue but I don't know what they did to fix it. They told me it was a driveline alignment problem they resolved. With the manual you can nurse the clutch a bit to try to minimize the shudder.

ChiefQM

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Hi Bill,

A long time ago, but you jogged my memory and the problems were associated a mixed bag of transmissions, but the builds were skewed toward automatics, so it would be interesting to rehash this experience with my experiences of which I lacked on this pre launch back some 40 years ago...
The problem is that you can only drive a tiny sample that might or might not flush out a systemic problem. We had a terrible problem at Ford for dismissing a problem as it was a Onezee. We only built one of a problem unit and dismissed it. When I got to the point I was in a responsible position, I told my engineers...there are no Onezee's in this business and we needed to understand and fix these Onezees. It is a trap many fall into until they gain experience by having this mindset bite them in the ass. I certainly have teeth marks on my behind as I learned the vehicle engineering trade...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
As an aside, my ex-father in law had a '74 F-150 Super Cab and it was a blast to drive. I had a lot of luck in it, if you catch my drift, before I got married.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Follow-up to my center bearing shimming to alleviate the takeoff shudder.
I tried 1/8", 1/4", and 1/2" shims and at a full tank of gas the shudder is slight to non-existent. Once the truck gets to around 1/2 tank the shudder becomes more noticeable and I get some vibrations in the steering wheel around 55 mph. Yesterday I removed the shims and was at 1/4 tank, the shudder was there. Did a drive at various speeds and had no vibes in the steering wheel at 55 mph. Filled the tank and the shudder is slight to non-existent again. When I filled up with gas I put in 13 gallons which is 82lbs (81.9 for OCD purposes). This issue is definitely load related. I may try to put some weight in the back of the truck and see what results I get as I go through a tank of gas.

Anybody a have a magic wand that works on vehicles, mine is not working?

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I keep on trying to understand driveline angles and the TSB procedure. I happened upon a diagram that makes allot of sense if it is correct. I put my angle finder on the frame rail and zero'd it. The angle of shaft #1 on my truck is 5.5°, the angle of my rear axle pinion flange is 4.6°. Theoretically I would shim the rear axle 1° to correct the driveline. Do I understand this correctly?
trans and axle with clouds.jpg

Berkmda

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 lariat 4x4 ranger
Occupation
Engineering
My 2019 XLT is not lifted. Sometimes it doesn't seem as bad as other times, but I suspect it depends on the speeds at which I drive - in town, 30 - 35 mph or highway speeds - and how aggressively I accelerate. I am noticing an increasing amount of tire noise. Hankook DynaPro ATM tires that were OEM. Hope it is not a harbinger of tread separation, that is the next thing I check.
Are you sure it isn’t engine hesitation? I just lemon lawed my 2019 for shudder or hesitation in acceleration that didn’t happen all the time and Ford couldn’t duplicate to fix. Just got a 2021 and drives like a new truck which my other never did

Rangerguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCrew
Are you sure it isn’t engine hesitation? I just lemon lawed my 2019 for shudder or hesitation in acceleration that didn’t happen all the time and Ford couldn’t duplicate to fix. Just got a 2021 and drives like a new truck which my other never did
The excellent way my startup vibration resolved after switching to premium has me wondering about the role of engine performance in some of these vibrations. But of course they did replace the rear pinion and carrier bearings too. So many variables.

Reactions: EJH

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The excellent way my startup vibration resolved after switching to premium has me wondering about the role of engine performance in some of these vibrations. But of course they did replace the rear pinion and carrier bearings too. So many variables.
I got my truck in 9/20 and on my third tank I switched to 93 and noticed more power and smoothness. It didn't help my shudder. I am very curious of the repairs your had done. If you don't mind listing them as it may help some of us that are still battling this issue. I have had the TSB done and my axle was on the numbers, 5.2, but has slipped to 4.3-4.6° since it was done.

Rangerguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCrew
I got my truck in 9/20 and on my third tank I switched to 93 and noticed more power and smoothness. It didn't help my shudder. I am very curious of the repairs your had done. If you don't mind listing them as it may help some of us that are still battling this issue. I have had the TSB done and my axle was on the numbers, 5.2, but has slipped to 4.3-4.6° since it was done.
See my post #503 https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...lerating-from-a-stop.8908/page-34#post-226680

ChiefQM

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I don’t believe it is engine hesitation. The odometer is rock steady while it’s bucking. I tried a tank of premium on a trip and saw no difference, but I was on a trip and it was mostly highway speeds. I will try it again in town. I wish I could lemon law it, but I got it as a Certified Pre Owned vehicle, which I will never do again.

Berkmda

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 lariat 4x4 ranger
Occupation
Engineering
I don’t believe it is engine hesitation. The odometer is rock steady while it’s bucking. I tried a tank of premium on a trip and saw no difference, but I was on a trip and it was mostly highway speeds. I will try it again in town. I wish I could lemon law it, but I got it as a Certified Pre Owned vehicle, which I will never do again.
My did it while passing under acceleration at highway speeds, odometer was solid but tach fluttered 700-800 RPM

ChiefQM

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
My did it while passing under acceleration at highway speeds, odometer was solid but tach fluttered 700-800 RPM
Duh, I meant to say tach. I was multitasking. The tach is rock steady.

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
All the ones I’ve came in contact are dumb fucks! let one of those guys take your dash out and put it back. I guarantee it rattles! again because they suck.
Have you ever seen a dash taken out of a new vehicle? There's a lot of parts and stuff going on there. I was the general manager of three body shops for many years and we replaced many dashes. They aren't easy and problems can arise. Even new vehicles where the dash hasn't been touched can have rattle problems. Most of the A level techs doing this type of work are pretty damn good.
Sponsored