TSB 20-2218 Crew Cab - Folding Rear Seat Backrest Assembly Excessive Latching Effort

Jfleming

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4wd Supercab, 1996 Ranger XLT 2WD
Occupation
Fireman
TSB 20-2218

Summary

This article supersedes TSB 19-2146 to update the vehicle model years affected, Service Procedure and Part List.

Issue: Some 2019-2020 Ranger Crew Cab vehicles may exhibit excessive latching effort when returning the rear seat backrest assembly to the upright position. This may be due to oversized rear seat backrest bumpers preventing latch to striker engagement. Vehicles built on or before 04-Feb-2019 may also have excessive deadening material inside the rear seat backrest latch. To correct this condition, follow the Service Procedure steps.

Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:

ā€¢ 2019-2020 Ranger Crew Cab
ā€¢ Excessive latching effort when returning the rear seat backrest assembly to the upright position
Sponsored

Attachments

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
Thank you! I wasnā€™t a fan of the previous TSB for this issue (I have a Jan. ā€˜19 build), but this one seems more substantial to give me the confidence Iā€™m looking for... I wasnā€™t a fan of using rubber-bands or whatever that was previously...

JHC14

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Executive Pastor
the first few times folding the seat down took a good slam to get it to latch back. But after looking at the TSB, do they really think the goof balls who can barely change the oil right can do the modeling clay thing. Really? I will probably just leave it the way it is.

NWRanger

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
I think this is funny because I didn't know it was a widespread issue.

When I was buying my truck, while it was still on the showroom, I was pulling/ pressing ever latch and button I could find. One lowered the seat back, attempted to put it back up, no luck. Myself, my salesperson, and my father (who wanted to be with me when I bought the truck) all tried to no avail, Giving it more then substantial force. We thought we were doing something wrong.
Finally the salesperson went and got another employee from the dealership, (who came to be very informative on many things, had been at the original Ranger launch and dealer previews) came over and SLAMMED the seat back so hard. I contributed it to being new and not "broken in". ??ā€ā™‚ Its definitely gotten better, and now takes no more force then I think would be expected.

Czaplewskin

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Lariat FX4
TSB 20-2218

Summary

This article supersedes TSB 19-2146 to update the vehicle model years affected, Service Procedure and Part List.

Issue: Some 2019-2020 Ranger Crew Cab vehicles may exhibit excessive latching effort when returning the rear seat backrest assembly to the upright position. This may be due to oversized rear seat backrest bumpers preventing latch to striker engagement. Vehicles built on or before 04-Feb-2019 may also have excessive deadening material inside the rear seat backrest latch. To correct this condition, follow the Service Procedure steps.

Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:
I can't get this PDF to open?!?

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
the first few times folding the seat down took a good slam to get it to latch back. But after looking at the TSB, do they really think the goof balls who can barely change the oil right can do the modeling clay thing. Really? I will probably just leave it the way it is.
LOL.. I thought the same thing when I got to the modeling clay part of the process. Just sat there looking at it laughing and shaking my head thinking there's no way this will happen properly in the field.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Just put your hand on the seat where the latch is and give 'er hell. It'l latch.

Dr.Me

First Name
Daven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Honestly...I'd rather choke slam the backrest until I find a better solution lmao

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
You're right, I can't see any dealer going through all these steps. Ford should have just sent out proper size bumpers and been done with it.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
I'm with you who dont feel like the stealerships tech-monkeys will negotiate a TSB like this properly. when I first drove it both the salesman and I had such a problem with it we thought it was broken. Another sales guy came out and said, 'Treat it like a truck!'...and slammed it. Thats what I've been doing since. Until it breaks I'm not going to drop it off for the day, let them potentially make it worse, get the interior of my vehicle dirty then have to go pick it up. Its just not that big of a concern in my world of things trying to get my attention...
Sponsored