Truck is broke...all sorts of things stopped working

26point2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
2021 Screw Tremor. Everything was fine earlier today, but just 30 min ago I tried the auto start in my driveway...wouldn't work. Tried to unlock w/the fob and by touch...wouldn't unlock. Used the actual key to unlock the drivers door.

Started it up and all sorts of stuff has a fault, rear seat belt, terrain management, pre-collision warning, touch screen won't turn on, adjustable mirrors don't adjust, wrench icon...and a few others that I can't remember. Truck runs fine, took it around the block, not in limp home mode.

Things I've tried:
1. Took the negative cable off the battery, let sit for 5 minutes...reattached, same issues.
2. Tried using my code reader to see if I could clear things...OBD2 port isn't working, tried two reading devices.

Any ideas? Can't even lock it up...well, I can lock the drivers door. The lock unlock buttons on the doors don't work.

Thanks,
Craig
Sponsored

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
2021 Screw Tremor. Everything was fine earlier today, but just 30 min ago I tried the auto start in my driveway...wouldn't work. Tried to unlock w/the fob and by touch...wouldn't unlock. Used the actual key to unlock the drivers door.

Started it up and all sorts of stuff has a fault, rear seat belt, terrain management, pre-collision warning, touch screen won't turn on, adjustable mirrors don't adjust, wrench icon...and a few others that I can't remember. Truck runs fine, took it around the block, not in limp home mode.

Things I've tried:
1. Took the negative cable off the battery, let sit for 5 minutes...reattached, same issues.
2. Tried using my code reader to see if I could clear things...OBD2 port isn't working, tried two reading devices.

Any ideas? Can't even lock it up...well, I can lock the drivers door. The lock unlock buttons on the doors don't work.

Thanks,
Craig
If I had all these issues, I would go to dealership to make sure it's been detailed for future problems etc and have them fix it up. Probably something to do with the battery but you already know that..

OP
OP
26point2

26point2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Starts and runs fine, HVAC is working, controls for that work...although I don't know what the temp is set to because the touch screen won't turn on.

I can turn off and on auto start stop, but the light on the button doesn't come on.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Starts and runs fine, HVAC is working, controls for that work...although I don't know what the temp is set to because the touch screen won't turn on.

I can turn off and on auto start stop, but the light on the button doesn't come on.
Drive it to the dealer.
Before you have to have it towed there.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Maybe check if wires have been bitten through anywhere? I think RP and Bret might be onto something :p

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Try the battery disconnect for like 30 minutes. That way the systems are all down for sure. I would still take it to a dealer and get the issue recorded in their system so if down the road there’s more problems you got a record of it with them already

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
+1 on disconnecting the battery then waiting a bit. When in doubt, don't scream and shout ... do a reboot ... LOL.

I had similar issues with my trike. Weird electronic stuff. This was my first trike/bike with a can bus ... checked codes and all of them were "low voltage" on various things. Trike started, ran fine, just the weird electronic stuff.

Did the disconnect, waited, rebooted ... electronics were fine for a few minutes, then they all came back.

Then take it to the dealer. Although, be prepared for big wait on any parts ... :blush:

OP
OP
26point2

26point2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taking it to the dealer is kind of a last resort...the one I bought the truck from is 50 miles away (and in MD traffic about 2.5 hours)...the ones closer won't give out loaners if you didn't buy from them.

OP
OP
26point2

26point2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
+1 on disconnecting the battery then waiting a bit. When in doubt, don't scream and shout ... do a reboot ... LOL.

I had similar issues with my trike. Weird electronic stuff. This was my first trike/bike with a can bus ... checked codes and all of them were "low voltage" on various things. Trike started, ran fine, just the weird electronic stuff.

Did the disconnect, waited, rebooted ... electronics were fine for a few minutes, then they all came back.

Then take it to the dealer. Although, be prepared for big wait on any parts ... :blush:

I wish I could check for codes...both code readers won't even power up w/the engine running.

Battery has been disconnected for about 15 min. now...I'll wait another 20 and try again.

Thanks.

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
Did anything show up on your Ford Pass App? A time or two when something went wrong on mine, I got a message on the app.

AC8C3BC4-DD0D-4FC7-935F-55509C930D1F.png
843EE20B-BEA7-4C6F-A54B-8F08E391E478.jpeg

Last edited:

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
OP
OP
26point2

26point2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
30 min battery disconnect didn't do anything. Add to the list that the windshield wipers won't turn on.

Checking fuses now.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Did you check to see if one of the large fuses in the engine compartment fuse box has blown?

Fuses - Fuse Specification Chart (fordservicecontent.com)

That's a good idea. My '13 F-150 would die off when turning left only (I know stupid, right) Every fuse in the panel was not seated properly. I had to push every one in place. That seemed to take care of the problem. Good luck OP, I hope it's something simple like mine. If the fuses are good I would check every connector I could find. Maybe one is not hooked up properly.
Sponsored