DblStuffed

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Whats up everyone

So im trying to get my trigger 6 installed. Ill start off by saying I am not knowledgable at all when it comes to electronics. every electronic ive ever installed on my builds I just followed youtube videos. However; there is nothing for the ranger and this trigger.

Where Im stuck at is where and how to wire up the accessory (yellow) wire. I know I read you can connect with marker but I do not always have my markers on. I want to wire it somewhere that I can use anytime I want pending a power source is "on". Normally I would just use the battery and stay wireless; but I want the backlights to turn on so I can see at night which button im hitting.

Is there a write up anywhere? Im going to be hooking up my light bar, ditch lights, rock lights, and here soon some rear lights.

I would greatly appreciate the help. Im willing to even Venmo someone for walking me step by step that has a little time today to assist.

Thank you!
Sponsored

OP
OP
DblStuffed

DblStuffed

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
As I think about it; using with a parking light wont be so bad. Because there will be daylight to see the switches during the day lmao So I guess I just need assistance with how to wire that up

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Marker lights are always on when truck is on. Not just at night.

Most people here have wired to the marker light with no issues. Some have wired it always hot.

OP
OP
DblStuffed

DblStuffed

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Marker lights are always on when truck is on. Not just at night.

Most people here have wired to the marker light with no issues. Some have wired it always hot.
Yea thats what I plan to do is wire to the marker light. Id prefer to do that. I dont want it always running hot. Ive tried looking up photos though and cannot find exactly where to wire it up to.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Yea thats what I plan to do is wire to the marker light. Id prefer to do that. I dont want it always running hot. Ive tried looking up photos though and cannot find exactly where to wire it up to.
Check with @Msfitoy

He has one wired up that way.

Reactions: Doc

OP
OP
DblStuffed

DblStuffed

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Check with @Msfitoy

He has one wired up that way.
yea im tyring to go through his build pages now to find it. I saw where he installed it. but havent seen any details/instructions or pictures of that specifically yet. but im still looking

Reactions: Doc

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
yea im tyring to go through his build pages now to find it. I saw where he installed it. but havent seen any details/instructions or pictures of that specifically yet. but im still looking
There's another thread on Trigger...
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/trigger-wireless-controller-install.6433/page-2#post-276782

mark_anderson_us said:
I figured it out. I couldn't find it in engine bay (way too many wires going into the plugs). Easiest way I found was to pop-out the marker light (fold the wheel well liner back and reach up inside, to push out). feed wired down and tap the grey/white/green striped wire.

OP
OP
DblStuffed

DblStuffed

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/trigger-wireless-controller-install.6433/page-2#post-276782

mark_anderson_us said:
I figured it out. I couldn't find it in engine bay (way too many wires going into the plugs). Easiest way I found was to pop-out the marker light (fold the wheel well liner back and reach up inside, to push out). feed wired down and tap the grey/white/green striped wire.
Yep found that yesterday! Only things I’m stuck on now are where to wire the harness wires from the actual controller pad

I just need to get everything wired up for now as I have to drop my truck off tomorrow at Ford performance. So I need to be able to drive it. But I don’t want to have to have exposed wires everywhere nor have to un-mount it all lol

for now, I have the trigger mounted. Have the positive and yellow on positive terminal (until I get the marker answer) and then I’m going to wire up my lights today. Just trying to figure out how to wire up that switch.

ThtDrnGuy

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Real Estate Photographer
Is the 4 and 6 button pad different? On my 4 pad it was just battery operated.

OP
OP
DblStuffed

DblStuffed

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Is the 4 and 6 button pad different? On my 4 pad it was just battery operated.
I can’t attest to if they are “different” per day. But mine has the option of doing it with batteries as well as hardwiring the mounting surface to the truck so that the buttons illuminate when driving. I thought they were both the same but maybe not?

OP
OP
DblStuffed

DblStuffed

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Also. If anyone has an idea of making a bracket for this please share. The Velcro pads that came with this do NOT stick to the battery felt whatsoever. I can’t even drag it to make it stick lol so I need to faction a bracket. Want to do one on the side of battery if possible.

ThtDrnGuy

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Photographer
Also. If anyone has an idea of making a bracket for this please share. The Velcro pads that came with this do NOT stick to the battery felt whatsoever. I can’t even drag it to make it stick lol so I need to faction a bracket. Want to do one on the side of battery if possible.
I mounted mine up here with really good double sided tape. 5k miles still going strong.

20210621_085428.jpg

OP
OP
DblStuffed

DblStuffed

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
I mounted mine up here with really good double sided tape. 5k miles still going strong.

20210621_085428.jpg
I was actually meaning mounting bracket for the trigger system under the hood. However, I’m intrigued that you got that amount up there. Did you leave it hardwired or are you only doing the batteries that are wireless? I ask because mine is hardwired and I don’t have enough wire to fit that up there but I thought about just adding on some wire and then running it up to the liner through the top.

ThtDrnGuy

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Photographer
I was actually meaning mounting bracket for the trigger system under the hood. However, I’m intrigued that you got that amount up there. Did you leave it hardwired or are you only doing the batteries that are wireless? I ask because mine is hardwired and I don’t have enough wire to fit that up there but I thought about just adding on some wire and then running it up to the liner through the top.
I just have mine sitting on the battery no movement. I didn't hard wire my buttons.

MNIKKILA

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Video Production/Creative

mark_anderson_us said:
I wired up, actually Mark's old trigger system in my truck and can confirm on my system the green and Yellow/white wire is the ignition wire. I tested it and it was the only one giving me power upon igntion. Just in case anyone was wondering. I'd still check...

Anyone have any issues with leaving this sitting on the battery? That's how mine is but I was thinking of making a bracket and attaching it just in front of the battery. Thoughts?
Sponsored