First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Logistics
It makes more of a difference than you guys realize. I’ve been running 32” tires for a while and recently swapped back to the stock tires and wheels and wow it has a solid amount of power more now. And of course fuel economy is up
Makes sense to me! What tire, size, and load range?
Sponsored

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Not sure about the poster above but I have seen several posts already where people make the mistake of going with E rated larger tires and complaining about the performance. In my opinion E is way overkill for these trucks and 32s are going to end up being over 50lbs each. C rates should give a much better ride and be significantly lighter while still giving you 6 plys.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
Built to a cost ! The entry level Bronco with P255/70 R16, I could order Ratio's 3.70, 4.46, 4.70
Comes stock with 4.46 gearing. What's the Ranger Raptor offering. I think Ford is dropping the ball on this one. People would pay to have more options. What Differential does the Ranger have. Bronco offers the Dana M195 and M220.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Well I’m actually running a 31” Crosswind M/T load range D 6 ply. This tire has been a lot better than E rated Coopers I was running before. E rated gave me about 17 mpg D rated about 20 mpg and stock tires about 23 mpg

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
This engine is very torquey, especially with a tune, but 9th and 10th are still too high for most cases other than full on interstate at above legal speeds :sunglasses:. I have found that around 2000 rpm at cruise is a nice sweet spot. On my way to work with traffic and the road I have to travel, this usually dictates I stay in 8th as the top gear. 9th and 10th want to keep it at a too low 1500-1600rpm. Hell my Mustang idles at 1300 (big ass solid roller cam). I actually get better mileage if I keep cruise between 2000-2500rpm.
9th and 10th can be annoying at slower speeds. 8th is the sweet spot driving around in town here. 9th above 60, and on level straightaway 10th. Love you can dictate gears.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
The long and short of it is that with the 10 speed's close ratios regearing is simply not needed for the majority of folks.

Could some builds benefit from different ratios? Sure. But the majority of us aren't going big enough to require it.

Plus we're not dealing with some gutless Toyota V-6 or Pentastar here. Our trucks have enough oomph to overcome a 1-2 inch tire difference.

bentroia

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Logistics
Well I’m actually running a 31” Crosswind M/T load range D 6 ply. This tire has been a lot better than E rated Coopers I was running before. E rated gave me about 17 mpg D rated about 20 mpg and stock tires about 23 mpg
Thanks for the benchmarks!!!

bentroia

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Logistics
Not sure about the poster above but I have seen several posts already where people make the mistake of going with E rated larger tires and complaining about the performance. In my opinion E is way overkill for these trucks and 32s are going to end up being over 50lbs each. C rates should give a much better ride and be significantly lighter while still giving you 6 plys.
Totally agree, Cs are plenty for solid recreation. Ive rock crawled fully loaded in Cherokees on serious trails many times with no reliability issues.

Last edited:

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
The Ranger actually runs a bigger Differential in the rear then the standard Diff. in the Bronco.
Ranger Dana M190 front M210 rear. The Sasquatch runs the Dana M210 front and back 4.70 ratio with 35" tires. Standard on the Black Diamond Bronco is M190 front and back 4.46 Ratio on 32" tires. Probably because the towing of the Ranger is 7500lbs where the Bronco is 3500lbs.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
The Tremor should have the 4.46 to 1 ratio with the 32" like the Bronco. I can see the standard Ranger offering the 3.70 to 1 ratio because it mainly comes with a 30.6" diameter tire.

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
9th and 10th can be annoying at slower speeds. 8th is the sweet spot driving around in town here. 9th above 60, and on level straightaway 10th. Love you can dictate gears.
I honestly don't ever use 10th most times until I am above 70.

At least with the Unleashed tune it does not lug and refuse to kick down to 9th or lower like it did with 5-Star. They could just not get that right among other shifting issues. I think they changed too much from the start and should have trusted the stock programing more and worked from there.

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
The Tremor should have the 4.46 to 1 ratio with the 32" like the Bronco. I can see the standard Ranger offering the 3.70 to 1 ratio because it mainly comes with a 30.6" diameter tire.
Mmmmm. 4.46, now you are on to something!

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I have purposely been shopping tires with weights in the low to mid 40s (lbs.) for just this purpose (can't seem to find any lower unless I go stock Hankooks). Some of these all-terrain tires are overkill for most people and heavier than hell. Nitto's Ridge and Terra Grapplers both come in load ranges that offer less weight FYI.

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Pretty sure the 4.46 is only offered with the manual trans. You can however order 4.27 with a rear locker with the 10a which would pair nicely with 33’s. I know our trucks won’t be exactly like the bronco but I feel like after market support is about to improve quite a bit for the ranger with the bronco coming out. People will be throwing money at those things just like Jeep folks do.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
Pretty sure the 4.46 is only offered with the manual trans. You can however order 4.27 with a rear locker with the 10a which would pair nicely with 33’s. I know our trucks won’t be exactly like the bronco but I feel like after market support is about to improve quite a bit for the ranger with the bronco coming out. People will be throwing money at those things just like Jeep folks do.
Black Diamond Bronco with 10 speed comes standard with 4.46 ratio. 4.27 ratio is available on the Outer Banks model. Don't get me started on Standard Transmission with the upgrade to the 10speed on the Black Diamond. I like rolling my own gears. So the Bronco offers a 3.70, 4.27, 4.46 and 4.70.
Sponsored