Tremor axle ratio

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Does anyone know if the axle ratio was changed on the Tremor. According to the manual and quick guide from Ford, all the Rangers still have a 3.73 axle ratio, including the Tremor. I kind of figured that with the 32" tires they would have went 4:10, but I guess it did not hurt performance that much. Does anyone have any different information. Just curious...
Sponsored

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
Does anyone know if the axle ratio was changed on the Tremor. According to the manual and quick guide from Ford, all the Rangers still have a 3.73 axle ratio, including the Tremor. I kind of figured that with the 32" tires they would have went 4:10, but I guess it did not hurt performance that much. Does anyone have any different information. Just curious...
It's the same. Changing axles would have opened a bag of worms for cost, engineering signoff & plant complexity.

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
It's the same. Changing axles would have opened a bag of worms for cost, engineering signoff & plant complexity.
That is kind of what I figured too, given they obviously did not change it. Reading about the new Bronco makes me glad Ford at least went all out with it. Nice to see that 4.70 ratio on the Sasquatch package with those big tires.

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I am trying to land on tires that will improve looks, contact patch, etc. and I think I have landed on 275/65/18. 32" like the Tremor, and just about perfect with minimal issues with a level.

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
I can’t believe the aftermarket hasn’t come through with gearing kits yet. Something a little more aggressive would be good for people running bigger than 32s.

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I can’t believe the aftermarket hasn’t come through with gearing kits yet. Something a little more aggressive would be good for people running bigger than 32s.
You would have to change the front and rear, so it would be super expensive with today's prices and prohibitive for many. For the 10/10 off road crowd there would be a market though. I miss the days of easy gear swaps. I have all the equipment to do the job on many differentials, but cost would make me pause in this case. I am mainly asking to see if Ford themselves thought the performance of the truck with taller tires required a different ratio. Apparently they did not...

In my driving 10th gear and often 9th are useless (I usually lock them out). I hope the lower ratios available in the Bronco are able to be used in the Ranger and are made available via the aftermarket (and there is programming via a tune to account for them). Honestly, this truck needs the ratios changed in the transmission for the overdrives. Everywhere else is fine, or they can change the axle ratio. If you change the axle ratio to something like what is available in the Bronco, 1st and 2nd will be pretty useless on stock size tires and it will always be doing the skip to 3rd, but I believe everywhere else would be much more useable on the road. I do think 4:10 or 4:30 gears would be a sweet spot for this truck . Especially on 32 inch tall tires.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
Since we are talking axle ratio's. Do people notice a difference in the way the truck drives with 32's and above with the Automatic. With my 2011 2.3L Ranger 5 speed Manual 4.11 ratio a slight tire difference is very noticeable. Its under powered at times and climbing steep hills you cannot find the right gear. Either the rev's are to high or too low. That motor only has 145Hp's

The above post by Torquerules answered most of my ?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I notice no perceptible difference in acceleration with 32's.

If there is any, it is small.

This engine is so torquey that it turns them with no problems.

Yama_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Raptor Soon 2021 APG Ranger
Aftermarket gears are starting to be available. The Ford Performance tune now supports both tire size and gear ratio changes up to 5.10. My truck is scheduled in for the APG ProRunner treatment in early May and I’ll be going with 4.56’s to match the 35 inch tires I’ll be running. Between the gears and tune, I’m hoping that 9th and 10th remain useable.

I haven’t found anyone other than APG who has the gearing figured out but I can’t imagine it will take long for them to be generally available.

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Aftermarket gears are starting to be available. The Ford Performance tune now supports both tire size and gear ratio changes up to 5.10. My truck is scheduled in for the APG ProRunner treatment in early May and I’ll be going with 4.56’s to match the 35 inch tires I’ll be running. Between the gears and tune, I’m hoping that 9th and 10th remain useable.

I haven’t found anyone other than APG who has the gearing figured out but I can’t imagine it will take long for them to be generally available.

Good to know. I'd love to have 4:30s with 32s.

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
This engine is very torquey, especially with a tune, but 9th and 10th are still too high for most cases other than full on interstate at above legal speeds :sunglasses:. I have found that around 2000 rpm at cruise is a nice sweet spot. On my way to work with traffic and the road I have to travel, this usually dictates I stay in 8th as the top gear. 9th and 10th want to keep it at a too low 1500-1600rpm. Hell my Mustang idles at 1300 (big ass solid roller cam). I actually get better mileage if I keep cruise between 2000-2500rpm.

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Since we are talking axle ratio's. Do people notice a difference in the way the truck drives with 32's and above with the Automatic. With my 2011 2.3L Ranger 5 speed Manual 4.11 ratio a slight tire difference is very noticeable. Its under powered at times and climbing steep hills you cannot find the right gear. Either the rev's are to high or too low. That motor only has 145Hp's

The above post by Torquerules answered most of my ?
Drop a 2.3 Ecoboost crate motor in that puppy!

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
It makes more of a difference than you guys realize. I’ve been running 32” tires for a while and recently swapped back to the stock tires and wheels and wow it has a solid amount of power more now. And of course fuel economy is up

bentroia

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Logistics
I have read everything I can find on this truck from Ford and other sources. Nothing has mentioned a gear ration change. The closest I found to that was that the traction control has been modified for sand and gravel.
Sponsored