First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Occupation
High School Mathematics Instructor
Is there a procedure for checking the level of the transmission fluid on our Rangers? When I actually had a dipstick that I could reach from the top side of the engine, I would cycle the transmission through all the gears, ending in neutral. Then, with the car running and transmission at operating temperature, I would check the level of the fluid. I can't imagine it would be a good idea to be under the Ranger while it is running and then reach up to check the level on the dipstick.

I would assume the transmission fluid should be checked hot, and after cycling through all the gears. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Sponsored

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Is there a procedure for checking the level of the transmission fluid on our Rangers? When I actually had a dipstick that I could reach from the top side of the engine, I would cycle the transmission through all the gears, ending in neutral. Then, with the car running and transmission at operating temperature, I would check the level of the fluid. I can't imagine it would be a good idea to be under the Ranger while it is running and then reach up to check the level on the dipstick.

I would assume the transmission fluid should be checked hot, and after cycling through all the gears. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
You need a Fitzstick from our member on here

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/remote-transmission-dip-stick-aftermarket-support.24547/

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
Don't flame me, but I did something different than the procedure outlined in the several University of Youtube clips I watched. Decided the the process of warming/checking/running through the gears etc. and checking again, was just a PITA, so did the following. I very carefully captured every drop I could during draining, including using a flat scraper to scrape the heavy film from the pan before wiping it down and reinstalling. Also drained the old filter in my pan and assumed there was a little I did not capture that remained in the filter. Only a teaspoon or two escaped this procedure. - okay, perhaps a tablespoon or two and that remaining in the filter material. I let the transmission drip it's last drop while I got prepped the replacement fluid and pump. I then carefully measured exactly how much I captured... 7 3/4 quarts. I replaced that amount plus a bit more. A total of just a dash under 8 quarts. Just finished a 1,000 mile non-stop drive. Ran great and shifted smoother, but that's seat of the pants. Sort of like the truck running better after washing. It shifted fine before the fluid was changed anyway (62K).

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Don't flame me, but I did something different than the procedure outlined in the several University of Youtube clips I watched. Decided the the process of warming/checking/running through the gears etc. and checking again, was just a PITA, so did the following. I very carefully captured every drop I could during draining, including using a flat scraper to scrape the heavy film from the pan before wiping it down and reinstalling. Also drained the old filter in my pan and assumed there was a little I did not capture that remained in the filter. Only a teaspoon or two escaped this procedure. - okay, perhaps a tablespoon or two and that remaining in the filter material. I let the transmission drip it's last drop while I got prepped the replacement fluid and pump. I then carefully measured exactly how much I captured... 7 3/4 quarts. I replaced that amount plus a bit more. A total of just a dash under 8 quarts. Just finished a 1,000 mile non-stop drive. Ran great and shifted smoother, but that's seat of the pants. Sort of like the truck running better after washing. It shifted fine before the fluid was changed anyway (62K).
You also need a Fitzstick!