Tranny not programmed differently for Tremors?

TheRealStreetcommander

First Name
Juvenile
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX STX FX4
Occupation
None of your business
SHO, there’s something to what your saying. I’ve put in in Sport mode but essentially lugged it manually just above 1000rpm, or just above a forced downshift during a couple 9 mile mixed speed loops. According the the computer, it gets worse MPGs at forced low RPM, then in D. It can’t make any boost to speak of at 1000rpm either. I haven’t had the patience to use this approach for a longer period of time and then hand calc it.
Sponsored

TheRealStreetcommander

First Name
Juvenile
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX STX FX4
Occupation
None of your business
FWIW, the AdTrac button is a neo-placebo, even when held down longer for stage 2-off. I do hoon and clown, and the nanny never goes off. Only tricks you for a brief moment or two, to fool you into thinking it’s actually your private property.

This fact is all the evidence necessary to know human kind remains in a societal death spiral.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
i always change my tire size with a tuner and verify it with a GPS that I know is accurate. Factory is always off a touch. Notice if you set your cruise at 55 and the speed radar trailer says 53. This inflates on dash MPGs as well. Transmission seems happier as well because the shift happens 2 mph later on average.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW, the AdTrac button is a neo-placebo, even when held down longer for stage 2-off. I do hoon and clown, and the nanny never goes off. Only tricks you for a brief moment or two, to fool you into thinking it’s actually your private property.

This fact is all the evidence necessary to know human kind remains in a societal death spiral.
We have to start reining in the nanny state at all levels of government. They have lost the plot completely, thinking that the government's proper function is to insulate us from all conceivable risks. They have no concept of informed consent. And all this nanny state intervention in automobiles is literally costing us real dollars and it comes with immense opportunity costs that have NEVER been debated or publicly discussed. Stability control and traction control are all very neat engineering feats, but WE should have granular control over how aggresively they are applied, and be accorded the responsibility of deciding whether or not to use them at any given moment. Instead they are shielded from our view and control because "we might do it wrong and hurt someone".

These and many other issues are decided for us by unelected bureaucrats because of corporate regulatory capture is the word of the year. We desperately need corporate governance reform. Corporations should not have all the rights and privileges accorded to natural human beings, because they are invulnerable to some of the methods of restraint that apply to a natural person.

Their unlimited lifespan and essentially infinite resources, added to the privilege of shifting legal liability to the government makes them almost invulnerable to any kind of restraint other than massive public disapproval and shaming. But those are ineffective against a determined gang of lawyers quoting "fiduciary responsibility to shareholders" as they screw over the labor force and decimate inventories and shred the supply chain in the name of "effective use of capital".

TheRealStreetcommander

First Name
Juvenile
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX STX FX4
Occupation
None of your business
When I put my BMW in “Default” mode, the ZF shifts like butter, is telepathic in its refinement, and returns phenomenal MPG. This is true for all ZF8 based vehicles I’ve owned and driven. The trans may be a great unit, but it’s a basket case in terms of shift quality.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
When I put my BMW in “Default” mode, the ZF shifts like butter, is telepathic in its refinement, and returns phenomenal MPG. This is true for all ZF8 based vehicles I’ve owned and driven. The trans may be a great unit, but it’s a basket case in terms of shift quality.
I agree, the ZF 8 speed in my son's RAM and the ZF 9 speed in my wife's Cherokee are buttery smooth.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
So when exactly did “feeling shifts” become such a god awful, evil, and world-ending series of events?

A good firm shift is actually good for the clutches in a slush-box auto trans.

TheRealStreetcommander

First Name
Juvenile
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX STX FX4
Occupation
None of your business
AH, you must have a very consistent 10r80. Mine shifts well 95% of the time. To me, it’s excessive converter slip and PWM, but smooth during that 95%. When it does not, it’s hellacious. I agree firm shifts can be very nice and certainly used to save the trans in the old days. The poor shifts I’m talking about feel destructive. Like neutral drops from a teenage dirtbag.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
AH, you must have a very consistent 10r80. Mine shifts well 95% of the time. To me, it’s excessive converter slip and PWM, but smooth during that 95%. When it does not, it’s hellacious. I agree firm shifts can be very nice and certainly used to save the trans in the old days. The poor shifts I’m talking about feel destructive. Like neutral drops from a teenage dirtbag.
If you are having this behavior you must have an issue with your unit that needs looked at. Yes mine acts proper 100% of the time and it’s fabulous.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
same as my BMW X suv. in drive you feel the shifts but its precise and silky. If use the "manual" shift mode it works perfectly also. the 10r80 cannot find its own ass with both hands.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
damn i knew that 10r80 felt familiar. years back a friend and i ruined his ragged rustang doing neutral drops lol. best way to describe the 10r80 shift i have heard so far! mines had several "shifts" that i felt sure when i got out and looked transmission fluid would be running out on the ground or snapped u joint.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
S stands for School Zone not Sport for me. ?

But honestly which would be better or beneficial for driving in slow areas or traffic? Trailer mode or School Zone I mean Sport mode?
Great name! I like it!

I actually do like S better for driving slow. Keeps the revs up, so throttle response is improved. If you leave it in "D"efault, it has to downshift two or three gears if you so much as nudge the gas. My standard drive is Trailer mode, because it is just less "busy" than the Default. Not so much need to downshift.
Medium speed (30-45 mph) traffic with some stop n go, I leave it in Trailer mode.
And in low speed traffic (10-25 mph) with stop n go, just as you say, S mode is actually better!
Not so much shifting. It's already in the sweet spot to add some torque without downshifting.

I didn't really think of it until you brought it up, but once you said it, I can remember several times I've shifted into S in some slow stuff because I got tired of waiting for the downshift before I got some oomph. Sometimes it makes you look like a dick if you downshift, because you get more push than you really want, and the truck lurches and then dips the front end when you back out of the throttle (it's subtle, but other drivers look for this stuff). They aren't sure how much giddyup you're gonna git, so it comes off as rude because they can't figure out what your intentions are.

scarchild35

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sales Engineer
I never tow anything and rarely have anything in the bed so my truck is almost always completely unladen (other than my fat ass) and 95% of the time I'm in D. I suppose I've gotten used to it but I agree it is a bit annoying at times, usually in the 35-40 mph range. Actually I guess it's fine in that range, it's just if you slow down, coasting, from say 35 to 25 or so, my tranny loves staying in 7th gear and the engine does indeed lug. Necessitating a bit of throttle increase for a downshift. And at times it is crazy sluggish, almost like there's no power for a minute. Obviously S mode eliminates that entirely. I've also messed around with tow mode and that does seem like a happy medium. But I agree the tranny could do better in D. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my truck and except for a few circumstances I think the drive train is phenomenal. There is such a big difference between D and S it's ridiculous. I just don't like how S mode will hold a gear to the point your engine is spinning 4k rpm for awhile, it grates on my sensibilities and I think I'm damaging my engine somehow, though I know it's really not. What do you guys think? Considering that I never use my truck for real "truck stuff" I figure I should be fine with whatever it's doing at any given time and when I first got it I almost thought that it was OVER powered. Imagine that. But as I said, I ALMOST thought that, haha. And yes, I have tried turning off traction control and advanced track and driving in S mode and this truck will indeed smoke the tires. Did that like twice. Fun but destructive and costly. My idiot wreckless driving days are long gone. Highway entrance ramps in S mode from time to time is plenty for me. And for those wondering why I got a truck if I don't use it for towing or hauling, I DO occasionally have to haul large items for my work plus I'm a musician so I need the bed for larger cases and stuff. But while most of the stuff I haul can be on the larger side, it's very lightweight considering how big it is. The most weight I've had in the bed was probably around 400 lbs. and I couldn't even tell it was back there while driving.
Great trucks, these Rangers are.
Thanks
20230129_123039.jpg

TheRealStreetcommander

First Name
Juvenile
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX STX FX4
Occupation
None of your business
FWIW, Took my Ranger in last week for a warranty review of the trans, for poor shift behavior. 59k. They said they needed to replace the valve body. The receipt shows they DID NOT actually replace the VB but did replace the separator plates and a few assorted gaskets/seals. They also updated the flash.

100% improvement. Still not ZF8 smooth but so damn close. Completely changed the shift strategy, gear timing, and skip-shift protocols. In the strongest possible terms, I recommend everyone have Ford perform this procedure. It is NOT snake oil.
Sponsored