First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘05 Jeep TJ & ‘19 JLU; ‘19 Ranger Lariat; Charger
Occupation
Public Safety & Legal Consultant
Thanks, CharChar. FWIW, I was going to buy Ridge Grappler’s for the wife’s new Wrangler, but my tire guy talked me out of them (he said he got complaints over the winter about their lack of ice and snow bona fides, although I never had an issue on my ‘16 JKU). So I now have five (5) TOYO Open Country AT3 tires on order for the Jeep. P285/70R17; 46 pounds each. Will ”evaluate” these before I add them to my Ranger.
Sponsored

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Thanks, CharChar. FWIW, I was going to buy Ridge Grappler’s for the wife’s new Wrangler, but my tire guy talked me out of them (he said he got complaints over the winter about their lack of ice and snow bona fides, although I never had an issue on my ‘16 JKU). So I now have five (5) TOYO Open Country AT3 tires on order for the Jeep. P285/70R17; 46 pounds each. Will ”evaluate” these before I add them to my Ranger.
What is your experience with the TOYO Open Country AT3 tires so far ?

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Should never listen to a guy trying to sell you stuff. He probably benefited from selling one brand over the other.

Do your research and buy what you want.

CharChar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Fx4
Very Positive.
Have not done anymore towing, but i got a rooftop tent so ive done a TON of exploring in N. GA and SC fishing and camping. Places that i used to go to in my F150 with Cooper AT3's that i had trouble with are no longer issues. At all. They shed mud well, good low speed grip, and bite well. The only negative i have to say about their off-road performance is they hold rocks. Like, a lot of rocks.

The on-road results have been "fine". Wet weather stopping/traction/etc are good. They are just a bit loud for an all terrain, which makes sense. The E rated version has a deep tread depth, and they are more aggressive than most all terrains. Its not that horrible drone you get with the serious mud tires. They are just "hummy". I haven't noticed a fuel mileage drop, which surprised me considering they weigh a good bit more than the stock tires. Holding steady at 21-22mpg combined. (http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/ranger/2019/charchar/936307). Like i mentioned before, i notice the truck shifting down on the highway much more which im not thrilled about, but whatever~!
No excessive wear in the 2500 miles i have on them.
All things considered im very happy so far.

OP
OP
DrPerez007

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unfortunately, far too few miles to evaluate and no adverse conditions to drive on, not even rain yet. Going down the road no real complaints, but I thought they were a little on the stiff side when new. They are “P” rated tires, so didn’t expect them to be as stiff as they first seemed. Have lowered tire pressure down to 36 pounds and plan to drop another pound this week. Might just be me, might be the JLU. I put them on at 100 miles, so tough to even compare to the factory tires, plus I did my lift the next day. I’m at 800 miles and hope to put a few more miles on over the next few weeks. I will return here and let you know. Nothing yet to discourage me from putting them on my Ranger. In fact, the 4WD shop where I had some work done on my Jeep was trying to get the TOYOs in because they are tough to find and are apparently in demand.

SknyGny

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Good Day All! I am new to this Forum and certainly happy to be here. I have followed this since purchasing my Lightning Blue 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat (Sport) in December. I bought the Ranger to replace my 2011 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab. You have given me so many good ideas and lightened my wallet all at the same time, so I do not know if I should thank you or bitch at you. LOL

Nevertheless, I’ve ordered my F-O-R-D grill from Toyota Accessories Guy (go figure), talked with my dealer about the Ford Performance “Suspension Leveling Kit,” had my box sprayed by Line-X, and now looking at tires to replace the factory feet. Seems to be a limited amount of discussion here on that subject, so I thought I would throw this into the works. As you can see, I’m a Jeep guy (although I am also a member of the Bronco6g Forum and seriously considering that for my next 4WD) and have run thru a multitude of tires over the years on my seven different Jeeps (and numerous cars). My 2005 TJ runs on Hercules Terra Trac M/T; good price and travel less than 1,000 miles a year. For awhile I was a big Mickey Thompson fan, using his Baja ATZ’s on my 2008 JKU (since sold). But then I became very weight conscious (does my rear end look fat in these tires?). So I run the non “LT” Nitto Ridge Grappler (285/70R17) on my 2016 JKU. Almost a dozen pounds lighter per tire and about a $250 cost savings for five over the ATZ. My TJ is my “off road” vehicle and my JKU does mostly volunteer “rescue response,” so the occasional ditch or field travel and, of course, plenty of snow and the mall (wifey).

For my Ranger, I have decided to go with 265/70R17 rubber (based much on information in this forum). I was again looking over tires, watching weight, performance, and cost figures, and was almost set to pull the trigger on either the Ridge Grapplers or the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. I like my Nitto’s and would not hesitate to buy another set. I was a bit surprised at some of the negative comments I read about this tire, but no one tire is going to please every audience.

Then I stumbled upon a brand new, just-released tire, the TOYO Open Country A/T III. The new TOYO has allegedly improved some of the areas associated with complaints about the old A/T II tire, mainly, “wet braking and performance, durability, off-road grip, and a quiet, comfortable ride.” In addition, the A/T III is three-peak “Mountain Snowflake” qualified for severe snow conditions. It’s available in LT, P, and flotation sizes. In the “P” (SL load) 265/70R17, the tire weighs only 41 pounds; the two LT versions (both “E” rated) weigh 48 pounds each. You also have your choice of two different sidewalls.

Since my tire purchase is on hold as is the rest of the world, I will probably not get to it until May or June (and work is keeping me plenty busy). I am hoping there will be a few more reviews out by then (the couple I have read to date are both very positive). But unless I see or hear something really negative, this will be my new Ranger rubber. If anyone has any comments or knowledge about this new TOYO, I am all ears. FWIW, I have nothing to do with TOYO or any tire manufacturer or dealer. I have posted the TOYO link here to the tire (scroll down to the A/T III).

Stay healthy everyone. Keep your distance...

P.S. I really like my Ranger!

https://www.toyotires.com/tire-finder/size/265-70-r17/

55550E1E-63BD-4849-88FA-2872608BED35.png
Cooper Discoverer STT PRO, are my favorite, on my ranger now, love them !
IMG_4580.jpg

OP
OP
DrPerez007

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Should never listen to a guy trying to sell you stuff. He probably benefited from selling one brand over the other.

Do your research and buy what you want.
Good point, but he wasn't selling me anything because he could not get the TOYOs at the time. I've done business with this shop for years and never had the hard sell from them. In fact, I like my Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my JKU, but interesting enough, reading reviews of people who have now had them for some time and drive on ice and snow, they, too, rated the tire down on those two points. Had I known at the time that my new JLU would ultimately be going to my place in Florida full-time, I would have probably bought the Nittos because the ice & snow would not have been a concern and I like how they look and ride on my JKU. I had to order my TOYOs online from out-of-state to get them timely.

OP
OP
DrPerez007

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cooper Discoverer STT PRO, are my favorite, on my ranger now, love them !
Nice looking tire; nice looking truck.

Let us know how they ride and gas mileage issues after you put a few miles on them.

Thanks

SknyGny

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
They ride nice, on and off road, on road they do hum along. Still not many miles put on yet. I will let you know the mileage, with next fill.

SknyGny

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Was out on the blacktop today with my Cooper’s they got a 20.3 on them for gas mileage right now

OP
OP
DrPerez007

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Was out on the blacktop today with my Cooper’s they got a 20.3 on them for gas mileage right now
How does that compare to the factory rubber that came with the truck?

SknyGny

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Lost a couple of MPG, yet it's worth it. They do hum going down the road, nothing bad. If MPG is your worry, get a economical little car(my thoughts).

OP
OP
DrPerez007

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lost a couple of MPG, yet it's worth it. They do hum going down the road, nothing bad. If MPG is your worry, get a economical little car(my thoughts).
Just always curious how tires and mileage are inter-related and I like data. I have three Jeeps; I don’t think fuel mileage is my highest priority.

SknyGny

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Did not mean for that to come off rude sorry I just never really paid much attention to gas mileage
Sponsored