First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘05 Jeep TJ & ‘19 JLU; ‘19 Ranger Lariat; Charger
Occupation
Public Safety & Legal Consultant
Good Day All! I am new to this Forum and certainly happy to be here. I have followed this since purchasing my Lightning Blue 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat (Sport) in December. I bought the Ranger to replace my 2011 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab. You have given me so many good ideas and lightened my wallet all at the same time, so I do not know if I should thank you or bitch at you. LOL

Nevertheless, I’ve ordered my F-O-R-D grill from Toyota Accessories Guy (go figure), talked with my dealer about the Ford Performance “Suspension Leveling Kit,” had my box sprayed by Line-X, and now looking at tires to replace the factory feet. Seems to be a limited amount of discussion here on that subject, so I thought I would throw this into the works. As you can see, I’m a Jeep guy (although I am also a member of the Bronco6g Forum and seriously considering that for my next 4WD) and have run thru a multitude of tires over the years on my seven different Jeeps (and numerous cars). My 2005 TJ runs on Hercules Terra Trac M/T; good price and travel less than 1,000 miles a year. For awhile I was a big Mickey Thompson fan, using his Baja ATZ’s on my 2008 JKU (since sold). But then I became very weight conscious (does my rear end look fat in these tires?). So I run the non “LT” Nitto Ridge Grappler (285/70R17) on my 2016 JKU. Almost a dozen pounds lighter per tire and about a $250 cost savings for five over the ATZ. My TJ is my “off road” vehicle and my JKU does mostly volunteer “rescue response,” so the occasional ditch or field travel and, of course, plenty of snow and the mall (wifey).

For my Ranger, I have decided to go with 265/70R17 rubber (based much on information in this forum). I was again looking over tires, watching weight, performance, and cost figures, and was almost set to pull the trigger on either the Ridge Grapplers or the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. I like my Nitto’s and would not hesitate to buy another set. I was a bit surprised at some of the negative comments I read about this tire, but no one tire is going to please every audience.

Then I stumbled upon a brand new, just-released tire, the TOYO Open Country A/T III. The new TOYO has allegedly improved some of the areas associated with complaints about the old A/T II tire, mainly, “wet braking and performance, durability, off-road grip, and a quiet, comfortable ride.” In addition, the A/T III is three-peak “Mountain Snowflake” qualified for severe snow conditions. It’s available in LT, P, and flotation sizes. In the “P” (SL load) 265/70R17, the tire weighs only 41 pounds; the two LT versions (both “E” rated) weigh 48 pounds each. You also have your choice of two different sidewalls.

Since my tire purchase is on hold as is the rest of the world, I will probably not get to it until May or June (and work is keeping me plenty busy). I am hoping there will be a few more reviews out by then (the couple I have read to date are both very positive). But unless I see or hear something really negative, this will be my new Ranger rubber. If anyone has any comments or knowledge about this new TOYO, I am all ears. FWIW, I have nothing to do with TOYO or any tire manufacturer or dealer. I have posted the TOYO link here to the tire (scroll down to the A/T III).

Stay healthy everyone. Keep your distance...

P.S. I really like my Ranger!

https://www.toyotires.com/tire-finder/size/265-70-r17/

55550E1E-63BD-4849-88FA-2872608BED35.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

CharChar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Fx4
Im getting the Toyo AT3 LT 265/70/17 installed Monday morning. I'll post back once they are on!

OP
OP
DrPerez007

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Im getting the Toyo AT3 LT 265/70/17 installed Monday morning. I'll post back once they are on!
Please do and take a few pics if you would, also. Will be real interested on what you think of them. Thanks.

CharChar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Fx4
So, my experience is so far limited to driving home. But for what its worth...
I went with the E range, and can notice the stiffness. I actually prefer it, as i felt like the truck is a little to "hyper" up front. Tread depth is significantly more, which was my main reason for upgrading. But the road noise is substantially louder. Plenty of clearance on stock suspension.
I've had Cooper AT3's on 3 straight vehicles and have had great luck with them. These look a step more aggressive, which is why i chose them. Previously had BFBoodrich AT's, which are a substantial step down. Going turkey hunting next week, so i can report back with interstate + offroad impressions then.

IMG_3600.jpeg

IMG_3601.jpeg

IMG_3602.jpeg

OP
OP
DrPerez007

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So, my experience is so far limited to driving home. But for what its worth...
I went with the E range, and can notice the stiffness. I actually prefer it, as i felt like the truck is a little to "hyper" up front. Tread depth is significantly more, which was my main reason for upgrading. But the road noise is substantially louder. Plenty of clearance on stock suspension.
I've had Cooper AT3's on 3 straight vehicles and have had great luck with them. These look a step more aggressive, which is why i chose them. Previously had BFBoodrich AT's, which are a substantial step down. Going turkey hunting next week, so i can report back with interstate + offroad impressions then.
Thanks for the pics. They look good and fill the wheel wells up nicely. Will be real interested to hear back from you after you put a few highway and off-road miles on. Love the Lightning Blue...

Desertranger19

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
The 41 lbs vs 48 lbs tire, I assume the plys is whats making it heavier, but the lighter might get abit more mpg due to weight, but how much more is it durable-wise if off roading? like will it be more issues with flats happening if going over rocks type of thing?
im using BFG KO2's 10 ply currently and its a heavy tire, was debating on going to slightly less heavy A/T tire if possible though. Any thoughs?

CharChar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Fx4
The 41 lbs vs 48 lbs tire, I assume the plys is whats making it heavier, but the lighter might get abit more mpg due to weight, but how much more is it durable-wise if off roading? like will it be more issues with flats happening if going over rocks type of thing?
im using BFG KO2's 10 ply currently and its a heavy tire, was debating on going to slightly less heavy A/T tire if possible though. Any thoughs?
Unsprung weight is a huge deal, and will certainly reduce your MPG's. The only reason i went with the E Range tire vs the C Range is the tread depth. 16.3 vs 13.4.
In my experience though the larger reduction will come from the tire width, which is why i see a lot of people running 255/75/17's, vs say 275/65. Tall and narrow means you still get the height, but less road contact means less rolling resistance. I even ran 235/85/16 on an old f150 i had....

Edit: In regards to off-road. I've done a substantial amount, but its in the swamps of FL, or the clay of GA. Not a lot of rock crawling here, so i've never given that much though to cutting a thin sidewall tire. Having said that, ive started fishing up in the Appalachians and many of the forest service roads have river crossings that are a bit rock crawly. But anyways, i cant really say if you would have a noticeable increase in flats with a thinner sidewall tire.

Last edited:

2020FX4

First Name
El Jefe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
..... I have been reading and gathering info as well before I buy my wheels and tires for my Ranger, and those Open Country A/T III's look nice!

OP
OP
DrPerez007

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Having modified a number of Jeeps, and as indicated, weight is a huge item for vehicles (pun intended). That 41 vs 48 pounds means seven more pounds per wheel/tire combination, so 14 pounds per axle and 28 pounds overall. Doesn’t sound like a lot, but that’s rolling weight at the corners and every pound does actually make a difference, particularly on MPG and stress on those moving and non-moving steering and suspension parts that were engineered for specific weight tires. [Keep in mind that my factory Bridgestone tires are 34 pounds each, so replacing them with 48 pound tires you have now added 14 pounds at every corner and 56 pounds overall from the originals.]

As for durability, remember the factory Ranger rubber is a “P” rated tire, essentially a passenger vehicle tire. They are a compromise tire for Ford because, I would think, even less so than Jeep Wranglers, not that many Ford Rangers are truly going off-road, rock climbing. Obviously, for those serious off-roaders an “LT” tire will likely work better, as well as for long-term durability, but at the price of fuel mileage and vehicle wear. I am not a vehicle engineer (I leave that to Phil), but I would think if you need an off-road tire, but not that heavy, you might want to consider an “LT” tire rated in the “C” category instead of “E” (however, I have seen “C” and “E” tires from the same manufacturer weigh the same). In all of my off-road vehicle usage I have never had a sidewall cut and, IMHO, the 10-ply seems a little “overkill” to me for a Ford Ranger. As for a specific tire, too many to choose from to recommend. Soon adding TOYOs OC/AT3 to my Ranger and Nitto Ridge Grapplers to my wife’s new JLU Wrangler coming, both in “P” as that works for most everything she and I will encounter, even in Wisconsin (though my ‘05 TJ goes off-road with specific “E” rated M/T tires). Good luck!

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
LT tires aren't a compromise because you don't actually need an LT tire until you're into the 3/4 or 1 ton range.

CharChar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Fx4
LT tires aren't a compromise because you don't actually need an LT tire until you're into the 3/4 or 1 ton range.
What non LT tire would you suggest for my brothers 1/2 ton with a ~3000lbs payload capacity?

CharChar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Fx4
Thanks for the pics. They look good and fill the wheel wells up nicely. Will be real interested to hear back from you after you put a few highway and off-road miles on. Love the Lightning Blue...
I guess VAMike doesnt know what he's talking about...

So i didn't actually get to do any serious 4x4. Everything in SC was dry, and i mostly walked around. But i can report of everything else. Highway noise is substantial. Its not any worse than other All Terrain tires, but its certainly not quiet. I did have to go get about 500 lbs of steel for a project, and the only trailer available was a 14000lb GVWR dual axle trailer. It towed just fine, though the tongue weight made the rear sag to the bump stops with no load. I averaged 19.5mpg, that includes ~70 miles of towing that trailer (3500lbs). For reference, my lifetime average is 21.8mpg, so i dont think my economy fell by more than 0.5-1. The only other thing i noticed that was of substance is that i shift down into 9th pretty often on the interstate, which im not thrilled about, but should have expected.

IMG_3638.jpg

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I guess VAMike doesnt know what he's talking about...
No, VAMike just has better things to do then get into a stupid pissing match with you. Hope you find something to do yourself!

OP
OP
DrPerez007

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Highway noise is substantial. Its not any worse than other All Terrain tires, but its certainly not quiet.
Interesting. How much “noiser” is it than your factory original tires? It is obnoxious? Will my wife likely complain? LOL. Thanks

CharChar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Fx4
Interesting. How much “noiser” is it than your factory original tires? It is obnoxious? Will my wife likely complain? LOL. Thanks
I found the factory tires to be very, very quiet, but they have very little tread depth. And no, its certainly not obnoxious. Pretty standard highway hum. Id say its a bit worse than i remember from Cooper AT3's & Firestone XT's. But nowhere near as bad as Cooper SST's or BFG TKO's. I dont think she will complain!
Sponsored