Towing Micro Minnie 1708FBS

kranger

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 2017 Mustang GT PP
I'm thinking of buying a small travel trailer. Specifically a Winnebago micro minnie 1708 or 1706fbs. It's a dual axle trailer with a dry weight around 3300# (it's rated for 7000# because of the dual axle, but I can't ever see my total gvw of the trailer exceeding 4500-5000#). I think I've done my math and research, including most of the posts here with towing calculators and I seem fine, but curious if anyone else has towed a similar trailer and how it has gone in the real world.

I purchased the oem brake controller (installing Saturday, wish me luck) and I'm planning on a weight distribution anti sway hitch.

My truck is an fx4 lariat with tow pkg. Door sticker says 1390# payload (still can't figure out how this squares with Ford's 1600# payload rating but is what it is).

Any thoughts are helpful. I want to be safe and enjoy it.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I haven't towed anything yet with my Ranger but i have towed close to similar weight with my old 2016 Frontier and it did well enough(even though you would really notice on a steep grade of sorts). As for thr payload there are a few thongs to consider. Between a crew cab to super cab will be the biggest difference. With 2wd to 4wd there will be a difference as well. As for trucks with offroad packages usually see less payload compared to a similar truck(4wd to 4wd, crew cab to crew cab). This is about the same for most manufacturers. Also unless you are planning to haul a house you should be fine. Just remember you bought a hood midsize truck, not a monstrosity!!

Deleted member 1634

I'm thinking of buying a small travel trailer. Specifically a Winnebago micro minnie 1708 or 1706fbs. It's a dual axle trailer with a dry weight around 3300# (it's rated for 7000# because of the dual axle, but I can't ever see my total gvw of the trailer exceeding 4500-5000#). I think I've done my math and research, including most of the posts here with towing calculators and I seem fine, but curious if anyone else has towed a similar trailer and how it has gone in the real world.

I purchased the oem brake controller (installing Saturday, wish me luck) and I'm planning on a weight distribution anti sway hitch.

My truck is an fx4 lariat with tow pkg. Door sticker says 1390# payload (still can't figure out how this squares with Ford's 1600# payload rating but is what it is).

Any thoughts are helpful. I want to be safe and enjoy it.
Because you have a Lariat FX4 with a bunch of bells and whistles that weigh something. You essentially have 210lbs worth of added weight via options from the factory. The truck that can do 1600lb payload is a basic XL extended cab 2WD. Every option added after that fills the glass a little bit more. Crew cab adds weight, 4WD adds weight, all the extra electronics add weight, heated/power seats add weight. Each truck is weighed as it leaves the factory (essentially), and that weight is subtracted from the universal Ranger GVWR of 6050lbs. For instance mine is 1432lbs of available payload. Every Ranger is different.

OP
OP
kranger

kranger

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 2017 Mustang GT PP
Because you have a Lariat FX4 with a bunch of bells and whistles that weigh something. You essentially have 210lbs worth of added weight via options from the factory. The truck that can do 1600lb payload is a basic XL extended cab 2WD. Every option added after that fills the glass a little bit more. Crew cab adds weight, 4WD adds weight, all the extra electronics add weight, heated/power seats add weight. Each truck is weighed as it leaves the factory (essentially), and that weight is subtracted from the universal Ranger GVWR of 6050lbs. For instance mine is 1432lbs of available payload. Every Ranger is different.

Thanks, makes a lot of sense and helpful to know that someone else's sticker isn't too far off mine.
Sponsored