Topper Shell

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
I just purchased the overland a few weeks ago and paid 2700 with carpet inside and roof racks (that is with the installation as well). The eta is September into November though. Fingers crossed I can get it a little sooner then that
Our family business is in the truck cap industry. The whole supply side is a mess. Suppliers closing up or slow in filling orders so sources for materials (such as resin, windows & doors) becoming limited. Three to four month lead time on order production seems the average now. Two week lead time used to be the norm. We are a dealer for Jeraco truck caps and we've seen 4 significant price increases since the start of 2021 and were given a heads up that another may be coming soon.
Sponsored

Flowgod

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
Our family business is in the truck cap industry. The whole supply side is a mess. Suppliers closing up or slow in filling orders so sources for materials (such as resin, windows & doors) becoming limited. Three to four month lead time on order production seems the average now. Two week lead time used to be the norm. We are a dealer for Jeraco truck caps and we've seen 4 significant price increases since the start of 2021 and were given a heads up that another may be coming soon.
I was lucky to not get my price increased. My dealer said he is waiting for a price increase any day when I went into purchase mine

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
I was lucky to not get my price increased. My dealer said he is waiting for a price increase any day when I went into purchase mine
Cap manufacturer would typically honor what ever the dealer price was on the day your dealer placed your order with the cap manufacturer.

Now if it was a cap in stock on the dealer's lot (which rarely happens that you pull in and find the exact size and color you need for your truck due to the fact that there are so many models and sizes of beds specific to the model of truck and year), the dealer could certainly raise the asking price if there have been manufacturer price increases since it would now cost dealer more to replace a stock cap.

RunBeerFish

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Substation Electrician
Anybody with an ARE MX, what is the measurement of highest point of the cap if you measure from the top of the tailgate?

shedfullatools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Ranger, 98' Jeep Xj, 90' F150
I've pretty much made up my mind about a topper for my truck, one hangup for me at the moment is that I have a rear facing dash cam permanently installed in the back window. Will this be able to see anything out the back anymore? I wouldn't really want to move it to the topper because i'd like it to be easily removable and don't want to run the wire back there. Anybody have a topper and a rear facing camera? If so hows is working out or how do you have it set up?

olyeller

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Crew Cab 4WD FX4, 2019 Challenger R/T
Occupation
Retired
I really lucked out. My local Snugtop dealer said 10 weeks to get one but then discovered their other shop in Burlington had one in stock to match my Oxford White Lariat. Got it the same day. There was a promotion that added a drop down front window. The Rebel comes with the headlining. I’ve only had it a couple of weeks but love it so far.

ABCF24A5-3B19-4441-B133-C9325A568551.jpeg

420C5B0B-F4B8-49C0-9AC1-320F8F1E524D.jpeg

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I've pretty much made up my mind about a topper for my truck, one hangup for me at the moment is that I have a rear facing dash cam permanently installed in the back window. Will this be able to see anything out the back anymore? I wouldn't really want to move it to the topper because i'd like it to be easily removable and don't want to run the wire back there. Anybody have a topper and a rear facing camera? If so hows is working out or how do you have it set up?
I don't have a topper, but my guess would be a rear facing cam would be next to worthless mounted inside the cab. They have wide angle lenses, and then add on the distance from rear window to rear topper window, the fact that your view would only start 5 feet off the ground and 5-6 feet from the cam then the resulting recorded video wouldn't be worth much... not to mention the light sensor would be all goofed up since the bed would be dark.

If you want to have something facing back, grab a $75 cam and mount it in the topper. At least it's something.

shedfullatools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't have a topper, but my guess would be a rear facing cam would be next to worthless mounted inside the cab. They have wide angle lenses, and then add on the distance from rear window to rear topper window, the fact that your view would only start 5 feet off the ground and 5-6 feet from the cam then the resulting recorded video wouldn't be worth much... not to mention the light sensor would be all goofed up since the bed would be dark.

If you want to have something facing back, grab a $75 cam and mount it in the topper. At least it's something.
Pretty much what I was thinking, I guess I could just live without the rear cam. Thanks for the input.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
427 days after initial deposit, I finally got my GFC. 3 hours later the first sticker went on. If I were to do it again, I'd go with a different camper because of the horrible service

KIMG1036.JPG

KIMG1067.JPG

olyeller

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Crew Cab 4WD FX4, 2019 Challenger R/T
Occupation
Retired
My rear view camera works as before. It is mounted in the rear FORD insignia on the tailgate. Mine is a 2021 Lariat so maybe earlier models were different?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
My rear view camera works as before. It is mounted in the rear FORD insignia on the tailgate. Mine is a 2021 Lariat so maybe earlier models were different?
He is referring to an aftermarket rear facing dash cam. Not the factory rearview camera.

RunBeerFish

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Substation Electrician
Finally got my ARE CX installed. I'm happy with the cap so far. Being an electrician, I pretty anal about wiring, so I will be redoing what the dealer did with the 12v in the cap. I plan on running an #8 wire to a distribution block for other accessories. I already added under rail LEDs and that turned out awesome.
IMG_20211002_160629.jpg

shedfullatools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Finally got my ARE CX installed. I'm happy with the cap so far. Being an electrician, I pretty anal about wiring, so I will be redoing what the dealer did with the 12v in the cap. I plan on running an #8 wire to a distribution block for other accessories. I already added under rail LEDs and that turned out awesome.
IMG_20211002_160629.jpg
Looks great, after seeing a topper my dealer installed on someone's truck I plan on asking for them not to touch any wiring on mine. What a mess, Ill happily just do it myself to my standards lol

rental_car

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 4WD
Occupation
CEO
I was able to find a used leer locally to me, actually dropping it off tomorrow to get painted.

20211023_113051.jpg