Topper Shell

Deleted member 1634

Thanks. Which one do you have?
I have a Leer 100XR. I probably would've gotten an ARE CX Evolve instead (basically the same thing just slightly different options available), or I would've at least looked into it a bit more.

In the end, the Leer is perfectly fine and meets my needs. I was disappointed at first, but after using it I've learned to deal with the shortcomings and now I don't think about it anymore.
Sponsored

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Anyone who’s had their topper for a few months still recommend it, or find they would do something differently? I’m going to be getting a Ranger later this month and want to get a topper myself. Thanks.
Wouldn't change a thing. I shopped heavily before buying my shell and knew it was exactly what I wanted and nothing I didn't. I order it specifically for my tastes/needs and I still feel it was a smart choice. I would happily do it over again.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Anyone who’s had their topper for a few months still recommend it, or find they would do something differently? I’m going to be getting a Ranger later this month and want to get a topper myself. Thanks.
I won’t get one again, I’ll get a fabric one I can take off on my own. I can’t even budge the leer.

RangerVA

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't use this truck without it. I wrote a review of my topper in a separate thread, describing what I like and what I wish I would have done differently. Upon installing the topper, the first thing you will notice is the improved driveability of the truck. You'll no longer have wind sheer inside the bed working against your momentum. What has become even more revealing to me since purchasing the topper is the added safety feature, not from people stealing my things--items can be replaced--but for my own safety, and that of my dogs. I was caught in a bad storm camping in the open grasslands of South Dakota and was so grateful I had my topper. I was able to toss everything inside the truck bed quickly and have enough room with my two large dogs to wait out the storm. If I didn't have the topper, my camping equipment would have been blown all over the place and damaged. It would have been a tight and uncomfortable squeeze throwing everything inside the cabin, not to mention the dogs being anxious, moving around needlessly, and scratching up my Katzkin leather seats. On nights where I don't feel comfortable sleeping on a ground tent--for whatever reason--I always have the option of sleeping in the back of my truck. I think that safety feature for me has become the principal reason why I would not own this truck without a topper.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/a-r-e-cx-revo-2-month-review.7746/

Last edited:

4g63det

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 501A
Occupation
Electrician
I won’t get one again, I’ll get a fabric one I can take off on my own. I can’t even budge the leer.
I ordered a Bestop Super Top 2 for my truck. Just waiting on it to be made, seems like a solid option

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I ordered a Bestop Super Top 2 for my truck. Just waiting on it to be made, seems like a solid option
I bought mine mostly to keep the dogs under cover, so far in the 9 months I've had the truck and cap they've gone in it twice and usually go in the back seat. Mostly due to the heat. I thought this truck would replace the wifes Santa Fe as the primary travel vehicle, I was wrong. The best top will work for the times that I need cover, and will still let me do truck stuff.

I couldn't believe it, I took the top on my Sport Trac on and off alone, we can't even budge this one.

4g63det

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 501A
Occupation
Electrician
I bought mine mostly to keep the dogs under cover, so far in the 9 months I've had the truck and cap they've gone in it twice and usually go in the back seat. Mostly due to the heat. I thought this truck would replace the wifes Santa Fe as the primary travel vehicle, I was wrong. The best top will work for the times that I need cover, and will still let me do truck stuff.

I couldn't believe it, I took the top on my Sport Trac on and off alone, we can't even budge this one.
At least you know its solid I guess lol Life is always better in the truck, thats how it works on our household too.

Igor

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2020 XLT 4x4 Sport
I really like it! A couple of quality issues from the start, but apparently that's the case with either brand. And the only one of those issues that has caused concern is the lack of adequate sealing in some areas, but that was easily fixed by adding what's leftover of the tailgate seal I added. I've added a handful of personal mods to make it even more useful. The extra covered storage space has already come in handy so many times!

The truck is backed into the garage due to severe storm threats right now, so I can't get an up close rear picture. But hopefully this one from when I installed the roof rack will suffice. I can take plenty more, from any/all angles, if you'd like.

IMG_20200529_193745955.jpg
Hi, I am new to this. What is the back opening height with tailgate down and back window fully open? And what is total height from the bed bottom to the topper's up?
I want to see if I can put my wife's tricycle with topper. The height is 3'8"
And actually if adult bicycle 26" can be fit in.

It is between bet cover and bed rack and topper with roof rack.

Thanks in advance.

Nick249

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2007 Z06, 88 Saleen
I have a ARE Revo CX that has worked great but will be selling. Paint color is a perfect match and is in perfect condition. Looking for $2000 installed
2C9499A8-8EC2-4022-88C0-BD4D91AB55FB.jpeg

1F87EDDD-F4ED-40AB-9A22-D71797B75C9E.jpeg

62A3ED13-3FF5-4E98-B008-BD28AA9C8A65.jpeg

w squared

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Extended Cab, 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.
Occupation
Left Handed Grapple Grommet Peddler
My Leer Legend is finally in and installed - roof rack onto the (factory installed) tracks is next, and then hopefully my OVS 270 awning will go immediately after that!

IMG_5119.jpg

Toast.

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
I'm quoting out comparable toppers with the rack already on, and the Leer 100R comes out to ~33% cheaper than the Century Royal and the ARE Z2. I think I'm just gonna pull the trigger on that. Looks like a nice topper, gets me what I need, and I haven't seen any complaints on here.

w squared

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Extended Cab, 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.
Occupation
Left Handed Grapple Grommet Peddler
I'm quoting out comparable toppers with the rack already on, and the Leer 100R comes out to ~33% cheaper than the Century Royal and the ARE Z2. I think I'm just gonna pull the trigger on that. Looks like a nice topper, gets me what I need, and I haven't seen any complaints on here.
The price difference was a big part of why I got the Leer Legend over the ARE.

One caveat - it turns out that Leer is not currently putting vented windoors into Ranger caps - either sliding windows with vents, or an all-glass windoor. I've decided to work around that with some no-see-um mesh and velcro tape instead of paying an extra $1000 dollars (and waiting for another two months) for an ARE.
Sponsored