OffroadAlliance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadalliance.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2021 Raptor, 2022 F250, 2023 Bronco
We have RSI SmartCaps in stock for the 6ft bed Ranger if anyone is interested.

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Hey Folks, not seeing many supercabs with toppers, so I'd thought I'd share some photos of my ARE MX. I had to purchase it without seeing a single photo of one! Not even ARE had a photo of a long bed ranger with a cap.

1996490-1598908343-843081.jpg

1996490-1598897950-76888.jpg

1996490-1598897946-921562.jpg
I'd like to see full views of this one.

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I posted in another thread, but I see this is a lot larger thread.
Any one unhappy with the Leer XR100?

Deleted member 1634

I posted in another thread, but I see this is a lot larger thread.
Any one unhappy with the Leer XR100?
Only in the overall build and install quality. But that's more about Leer and the dealer that installed it than about that particular model itself.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
ARB Summit Canopy (Topper) on mine. I'm pretty happy, doesn't leak, has some nice features, is connected to the central locking, has a full opening side window on the passenger side with gas struts and an electric lock, an opening vent in the top to pressurise it for dusty roads, and it matches the body colour, albeit has faded a bit on top.
The front window flips up inside so you can clean the window at the back of the cab. Made of ABS plastic with reinforcement - can carry 100 Kg roof load.

20190401_105207.jpg

lazynorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT FX4
Occupation
Public Health
ARB Summit Canopy (Topper) on mine. I'm pretty happy, doesn't leak, has some nice features, is connected to the central locking, has a full opening side window on the passenger side with gas struts and an electric lock, an opening vent in the top to pressurise it for dusty roads, and it matches the body colour, albeit has faded a bit on top.
The front window flips up inside so you can clean the window at the back of the cab. Made of ABS plastic with reinforcement - can carry 100 Kg roof load.

20190401_105207.jpg
Pretty cool! We don't have that option in the USA. ABS plastic, huh?

Noface

First Name
Jes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Nerd
Side panel access is pretty nice. I post this as GCF is making a topper only, if the integrated tent is not your cup of tea.

4F963AC5-8DA0-43F4-A677-3C4E9236A9FC.jpeg

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Pretty cool! We don't have that option in the USA. ABS plastic, huh?
Yes they've been making them that way for a while now, light, flexible, and strong, doesn't seem to want to crack with the tub flexing, like fiberglass sometimes does.

lazynorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT FX4
Occupation
Public Health
Side panel access is pretty nice. I post this as GCF is making a topper only, if the integrated tent is not your cup of tea.

4F963AC5-8DA0-43F4-A677-3C4E9236A9FC.jpeg
Always neat to see examples of these. I've also heard GFC plans on a canopy-only version, which seems a no brainer given the non fiberglass market seems dominated by overly costly RLD, Alu-Cab and RSI. My hesitation would be cost vs the aluminum and steel competitors (and cost vs traditional fiberglass canopy companies like Leer, Snugtop, etc).

The other big hesitation is GFC has no windows out the back or sides. This limits day to day visibility and therefore safety, no matter how you slice it. I'm sure windows would be an add on expense. You do get a stronger roof for later additions, compared to a traditional fiberglass canopy.

After considering all the options, I went ahead and ordered a Snugtop Rebel with extras including Yakima roof tracks, vented windoors on both sides, keyless entry (uses Ford keyfob), drop down front window.. before taxes and installation it's $3600. $4000 out the door (tax and install). I get a color matched canopy with full visibility all around with nice extras, for much less than the steel and aluminum offerings. My roof load will be my current Yakima Skybox and/or recreational kayaks, all within the roof load rating.

I really considered just taking the plunge on a bed rail mounted pop up camper, ala Project M or Ovrlnd Camper. Those are triple the cost of my optioned Snugtop. No wedge camper is as wide as my ultralight backpacking tent - Big Agnes Copper Spur 3 - which affords my wife and I room for 25" wide pads, plus room for our medium sized dog. Our vehicle-based kit includes a Gazelle T4 - a quick deploy and pack up 10' x 10' palace. The 48" or so width afforded in the wedge rooftops is a serious downgrade from both my 3 pound backpacking tent and the ultra-lux car camping tent. Have to pay over $10,000 for that downgrade. Doesn't pencil out for me.

The straight walled popups offer queen widths.. that's more like it.

My wife and I struggled with paying $4000 now for a Snugtop when we just might consider a straight walled pop up in the future.. our $4000 would have been better spent going straight to the Project M, Ovrlnd or similar camper. Compared to the RLD, RSI and Alu-Cab offerings, the price premium, wait times and from what I've been reading the questionable quality control, I think I made the safe choice with a traditional fiberglass canopy, for my current needs and uses.

Long story short, I'm shocked GFC didn't offer a canopy-only version sooner. Folks obviously like the form factor. Seems they'd undercut RSI, RLD, etc. I just don't know if folks would travel that far to get just a canopy. I don't think GFC ships their goods. Maybe that was the hurdle for them to figure out.

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I'm torn between a normal height or one that is slightly taller.

06412D04-EAF7-45BA-96D9-73CADB88FC75.jpeg

IMG_6313.jpeg