First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I have hired more than a few people being in HR but I don't want to walk into an interview like it's for a military based job. The last time I did a civilian interview was 2003, when I did some time as a typical once a month national guard member. I got that job as a copier tech until I went back active duty.

Tips/Advice for going into a potential six figure job? I'll be in the room with a VP and their HR Director (potential new boss). Google is a huge friend in this as well as what I've learned from my masters etc. So I know the basics. Might be looking for something I'm not thinking about to prepare.

I know. Weird place to ask and I'm fully expecting some smart answers with this crowd like "punch the biggest person in the room."

That said the vast majority of the members here have been around for a bit and probably sat through more interviews than I have.. hell might have some HR heavies running around in a Ranger.

So, whatcha got? Jokes or not. The funny stuff might help me relax a bit.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Seeing as I've been self employed for almost 40 years now it's hard for me to say. But every time I do an estimate I'm pretty much doing an interview so here's what I do. Just be yourself and act confident. Not overly cocky but make them aware you know what you're doing, try not to fidget and look all around the room and always look them in the eyes when talking to them.

Now if you really wanna break the ice walk in the room in just your underwear. Just make sure you're still very confident! :shock:

Come At Me Bro.jpg

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I interview a lot of people, mostly millennials. They ask a lot of questions about their work hours, schedules, work at home options, etc. It gives me the impression they are trying to figure out how hard they will have to work if they get the job. So don’t do that. It’s a turn off.

OP
OP
Wytchdctr

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
6 figures huh? Too late for me to apply? Turns out I’m REALLY good at whatever it is!
I'll let you know if the underwear thing doesn't work.

I'm going to guess they will undercut that a bit because it isn't downtown Htown. Price of sanity and not dealing with traffic is real.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I'm not HR, but I am a supervisor and do a lot of interviewing of guards that come to work for me. Here's my take:

I like applicants to be just a twitch early, but not overly so.
I like them to be properly dressed for the interview...as if they are serious about wanting the job.
I like when interviewees pay attention when I speak, and take a few notes along the way, and then ask ME questions from their notes.
I don't like seeing or hearing their cellphones.
Did I mention I like when they take an interest in the job and ask serious questions about the actual job and don't lose themselves in stupid things that aren't actually job related.
Don't yawn. Be well rested.
Even if you're an asshole...be yourself. Nobody likes to find out later they've hired an asshole.

OP
OP
Wytchdctr

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Focus on the skills that can't be taught..
Especially when they can see what can be on my resume; degrees+ certifications, etc

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
One more thing, turn your phone off! Nothing aggravates me more when I was hiring then someone's cell phone constantly ringing or beeping with text messages. :explode: This bugs me in public too but even more so when it's a potential employee.

OP
OP
Wytchdctr

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
One more thing, turn your phone off! Nothing aggravates me more when I was hiring then someone's cell phone constantly ringing or beeping with text messages. :explode: This bugs me in public too but even more so when it's a potential employee.
I was going to leave it off unless they asked for references on the spot

Who memorizes numbers these days?

Heh.
Sponsored