jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
...or ya just build your own! Save on labor...
20220620_205826.jpg
20220620_235008.jpg
20220620_235104.jpg
this is something id like to do eventually and retire my old m100 one day but for now its still kicking good lol
Sponsored

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
This is what people need to remember when buying these smaller ones. I think they're great for a starter trailer but if this is something you're going to do often and for long periods I think they're way to small, especially when you're older.

Also you have to think about the weather because it's not always nice and sunny. I can't picture myself stuck in that coffin for 2-3 days when there's rainy weather, I need a little breathing room. But everyone's different and I've seen a ton of these teardrop trailers along our travels so they're popular and people make them work.
I think those that do it best have an awning on them so that when it's rain, but not too windy they can remain outside. I've seen them pull up and unload folding patio furniture from the teardrop and pull and awning out and live most of the day outside. I've thought about one, I would really only plan to be inside for sleep/napping. But I need something tall enough that I can sit in a seat with my computer and do work. For that most teardrops without a popup are out of the question. I'm thinking more and more about an a-frame popup thought. I tried my friend's old Coleman popup, but I don't like the canvas walls, any breeze and it breaths in and out, so even if you have climate control a lot of it is going right out the thing. I would

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I think those that do it best have an awning on them so that when it's rain, but not too windy they can remain outside. I've seen them pull up and unload folding patio furniture from the teardrop and pull and awning out and live most of the day outside. I've thought about one, I would really only plan to be inside for sleep/napping. But I need something tall enough that I can sit in a seat with my computer and do work. For that most teardrops without a popup are out of the question. I'm thinking more and more about an a-frame popup thought. I tried my friend's old Coleman popup, but I don't like the canvas walls, any breeze and it breaths in and out, so even if you have climate control a lot of it is going right out the thing. I would
I guess it all depends on the area you're in. Back in MA it's either cold and rainy or come summer wicked humid where I wouldn't want to be set up outside even under an awning. I would definitely be a fair weather camper. lol Like I said earlier I saw a lot of them while traveling through South Dakota so I know many make it work for them. I just know for me it wouldn't work as I need something a little larger and with more amenities. Before we buy anything we're going to rent one the size we "think" we need. This way we can get the feel for it and make adjustments from there either larger or smaller.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
I guess it all depends on the area you're in. Back in MA it's either cold and rainy or come summer wicked humid where I wouldn't want to be set up outside even under an awning. I would definitely be a fair weather camper. lol Like I said earlier I saw a lot of them while traveling through South Dakota so I know many make it work for them. I just know for me it wouldn't work as I need something a little larger and with more amenities. Before we buy anything we're going to rent one the size we "think" we need. This way we can get the feel for it and make adjustments from there either larger or smaller.
100% rent / borrow first. I had tried to rent an ePro teardrop through RV Share that the owner said was only 1800lbs with a tongue weight under 200lb, but when I started to lower it onto the ball on my RS the back squatted way too much. I'm just over 200lbs and I stood on the ball to show it what 200lb squat looks like on that car, he agreed to a full refund. Now that I have the Ranger I may try that rental at a future race.

BryanJay

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I’ve had an Aliner a-frame for a few years now. On the plus side, the headroom is good especially if you get one with dormers front and back, the solid walls are nice in cooler/rainy weather, and our trucks tow them very easily. It also fit (barely) in my single car garage for winter storage. The biggest negative is storage - because there’s no way to put cabinets on the folding walls, internal storage is a bit sparse, and it seems like you spend a lot of time moving stuff from one spot to another just to find what you need. The storage issue has my wife and I looking at an upgrade for next year, likely to a Micro Minnie FLX 2108 DS.

Fritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL
scamp.jpeg

Does this qualify as tiny? I get about 15mpg @55mph.

pvinthemix

First Name
PV
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Tech
scamp.jpeg

Does this qualify as tiny? I get about 15mpg @55mph.
I really like those Scamp's what did you get it for if you dont mind me asking?

I've been looking at the NoBos as well. Pretty cool but a little pricey.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Ok. Like most, I'm intrigued by the squaredrop offroady looking campers. But seriously, what's with the prices on those?
Almost all of them are completely custom-built or are at least built-to-order. The shops that make them build them by hand, they take their time, and they do a better job. It costs more to do it that way.

I bought one a few years before COVID, just before the company (Hiker Trailer) really hit the big time and got popular. It was built 20min from my house (Indy facility, before they moved production to Columbus, IN) and the owner drove to my house with a crew member on a Sunday morning when I was about to leave on a big road trip because of an electrical issue (not an issue with their build, rather one with a wiring adapter I had between the trailer and my TV). They installed a 4 flat connector for me so I didn't need to use the adapter (trailer came with a 7 pin), and while the adapter worked fine when I picked it up, it wasn't working 2 days later.

There's always a remedy, but you shouldn't have to immediately fix and modify your brand new unit because it was built poorly.
And maybe I wasn't explicit enough, but my point was essentially I would never buy from one of those big mass produced RV/trailer companies that litter the RV dealer lots. But rather from a small/smaller business that puts in the time and effort and care and quality craftmanship. And I guess that goes the same for most every product. For just a weekend warrior that uses theirs a handful of times a summer it probably doesn't matter as much. But for us, we use ours a lot and want it to last and not cause issues, which it hasn't.
That's where we got our teardrop from (a small family business in central Wisconsin) and where we'll get our van converted as well (small business in western Minnesota/eastern ND). Some place that actually cares about the product they're producing.
I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly. Too many stories of stuff falling out of brand new RVs when they're being driven home off the lot. Appliances falling out, cabinet doors falling off, etc.

Fritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL
I really like those Scamp's what did you get it for if you dont mind me asking?

I've been looking at the NoBos as well. Pretty cool but a little pricey.
26 for a two year old delux model with bathroom/AC/microwave etc.

Sammy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
We're looking at Casita trailer. They're out of Rice, TX. Went to the factory and toured all their different models. They are similar in design to the Scamps but personally I think a better built product. As with any camper the more options the higher price and weight. I know the ranger would have no problem pulling them even fully optioned out.

Fritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL
26 for a two year old delux model with bathroom/AC/microwave etc.
They’ve got solid wood cabinets and fiberglass construction that tends not to leak so much. They hold their value much better than the Indiana brands.

I’ve been an rv tech for a year now and wasn’t too interested in the shit that comes out of indiana. It’s all staples and glue. Things are falling apart before a customer ever buys them and it doesn’t stop.

Last edited:

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
Had a Riverside Retro 509Jr for a few years. It was essentially a rolling queen mattress with some cabinetry and roof vent. No water or propane so super simple, super light (under 1000 lbs) and it fit in my one car garage. It worked great but if the weather turned you had two options; 1) sit in bed, or 2) lay in bed. Not a huge issue as we typically made decisions to go camping late enough that we just watched the weather. Sold it last year for more than I paid for it new.

My new trailer is a Rockwood MiniLite 2109s. Much larger (21ft) and nicer but has new challenges. The Ranger tows it well, but not a lot of room to spare to be legal in payload capacity. Also, I have to pay to store it now. My wife and I are getting ready to take it from Ohio to Niagara Falls and Acadia National Park in Maine. Two plus weeks of travel and towing. Very excited!

Doug
Just some advice. Dont tow it into Bar Harbor. Its bumper to bumper traffic all summer long.

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
The wife (promoted from GF) and I started looking at trailers a couple years ago. We hated the quality of them, poorly made and most had a bunch of crap we didn't need. When we finally got sick of working and decided to go on a sabbatical from consumerism, we sold the condo and bought a 7x14x7 all aluminum double-axle cargo trailer. It weighed 1500 lbs empty and after converting it and loading it up, it weighs 4000 lbs per the Cat scale. Its not the fanciest, nor the most polished build, but it has a composing toilet, queen sized bed, 400AH of off-grid solar and it holds al out stuff. Being long-distance backpackers, going from living weeks or months at a time carrying all your food and water on your back and sleeping in a two person shaped tarp, the trailer was a palace!

We spent last Winter traveling in the Southwest, living on BLM and National Forest land, visiting Southern Commiefornia, AZ, and Nevada and this Spring we migrated up to Central WA to visit my mother. What we planned on being a few days turned into two weeks mooch-docking in her driveway. Got stuck between two major Spring Snowstorms. Put about 30,000 miles on the truck traveling around.

We've been living in it full-time for almost a year. We found that some things didn't work for us and some things we thought we may want, we never actually used. I had left two feet at the back of the trailer, near the ramp door, as a garage space, but it was never filled. I ripped apart the bed, and the underneath storage, moved the wall back and am now rebuilding it. Since it was all screwed together, it was a fairly simple process of putting the screw-gun in reverse and zipping all the screws out.

I keep telling myself I don't need an air conditioner, but this muggy weather in Maine is starting to get to me, again.

The fact that I know this build intimately, makes it easy to repair or replace something that I don't like.