First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Between him and Josh The RV Nerd I don't know how I got any work done last year. lol I do like the teardrops as they're easy to tow and cheaper costs but if we're going to get one I think I need something a little bigger (19'-21') with more amenities. Especially now after being on this trip I can see myself taking off more and longer and would like a little more comfort creatures. Ideally I'd love a big 5th wheel with 2-3 slides so I can have a rolling house and be comfy but that's not going to happen anytime soon. ?
Just remember Dave. The bigger it is the more stuff she’s bringing home from shopping! ?
Sponsored

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
so i havent towed it yet with my ranger (forgive the pic with my tacoma) but this is my m100 camping trailer i have its a blast to use and it gets lots of looks! my tacoma towed it fine so i imagine my ranger will not even think its back there!

100.jpg

Dave1899

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercrew Lariat 2WD
Occupation
Retired Living the Life
We had a Runaway Cool Camp. Loved it however too many bugs in Florida for peaceful camping but it did fit in the garage!

Runaway Coolcamp.jpeg
!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Just remember Dave. The bigger it is the more stuff she’s bringing home from shopping! ?
Darn I never thought about that Rick. I'm gonna need a mobile Yurt. :facepalm:

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
We had a Runaway Cool Camp. Loved it however too many bugs in Florida for peaceful camping but it did fit in the garage!

Runaway Coolcamp.jpeg
!
This is the one that first got me thinking of moving from a tent as my primary shelter. When I first started looking at these they were $3500 new. I think they're still only $6000, which is pretty cheap. I like how their basically a bed on wheels.

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
we bought a 2015 rockwood roo 233s last fall, a hyrbrid so the beds fold out with soft sides. We have 2 toddlers, (3 and 2 years old) so we have 3 queen size beds, and lots of interior space. in our two trips so far, we have used the AC, the heater for cold mornings, and watched TV in the pouring rain inside.

Plenty of room, downside is lack of privacy for changing but again we have 2 toddlers, privacy isn't a big thing.

We are also in NH and have lots of small campgrounds within 20-30 miles of home. I can top off the ranger, and tow the camper for a 3 day weekend , take everything home, and still have enough gas in the tank for a week of travel back and forth to work. best part is these places are small like no online booking small, and so are $50-$60 bucks a night with everything.

We are basically planning one weekend a month all summer, and had them all booked prior to March.

now our only expenses are Gas, and food for those weekends.

Nellieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger crew cab
Ohhh those little Sun-Lites look right up my alley. Room for me, the wife and the dogs, kids can rough it in a tent. I go back and forth on wether I need a bathroom. Part me says I can rough it, part of me knows it would be VERY nice to have.

What's the height on your 17 footer?
They are around 10' tall. You can Google sun-lite sunsetpark rv...

Deleted member 1634

We love our little teardrop! It's perfect for us since all we want is an insulated hard walled bed off the ground. And with the Rhino Rack Batwing awning and walls we can sit and stand and cook outside in the rain and wind. And since it sits so low, we still can get around 20mpg on the highway.

IMG_20201009_123325469_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220405_071805922_HDR.jpg

I have mixed feelings about a lot of people giving up on camping and outdoor activities. On the one hand the outdoors are amazing and people who don't appreciate it take it for granted and don't care for it. But on the other hand, less people out there means less damage and destruction and more open space and room for those of us who have been out there for a long time already.

We're actually going to "upgrade" (depending on your perspective I suppose) to the #vanlife setup (below is an example, but ours will be a bit different). Already put in an order for a 2023 Ford Transit and have been in contact with a local (relatively) conversion company to make it exactly how we want. We'd do it ourselves but just don't have the time, tools, or expertise to do it professionally enough. Especially since we'll be hitting the road with it for full time living and working. I'm sure I'll post more updates on that once we get into it further (if I'm still around here by then), especially since we'll be keeping the Ranger as an auxiliary/support/satellite adventure vehicle to go along with the van.

1655989040059.png

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
The wife and I have a Rustic Trail Kodiak we love. I followed them for years when they were just a little building and a couple guys working weekends and only $5k. Still really are a small operation but run the building full time. Tow usually with the Ranger but have taken trips towing with the CRV. Loaded up the trailer weighs in at 1630lbs - truck doesn't know it's there but the CRV works a bit and both return 20mpg easy.

Ours is a late 2020 model but has AC, vent, cabinets, and a dinette that converts to a queen bed. There are some upgrades they made at the time but it would have pushed our build date back so we stuck with the older set up. Newer ones can get larger cabinets, red night light LEDs, etc. Absolutely perfect for us plus the dog; even a small kid or two in the future but tight. I grew up in the parents 34ft pusher they swapped out every 10 years, but myself I tent camped from high school to a few years ago. This really changed the seasons for me here in the Southeast with AC and a nice place to ride out a storm.

IMG_20210823_122608.jpg

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
The wife and I have a Rustic Trail Kodiak we love. I followed them for years when they were just a little building and a couple guys working weekends and only $5k. Still really are a small operation but run the building full time. Tow usually with the Ranger but have taken trips towing with the CRV. Loaded up the trailer weighs in at 1630lbs - truck doesn't know it's there but the CRV works a bit and both return 20mpg easy.

Ours is a late 2020 model but has AC, vent, cabinets, and a dinette that converts to a queen bed. There are some upgrades they made at the time but it would have pushed our build date back so we stuck with the older set up. Newer ones can get larger cabinets, red night light LEDs, etc. Absolutely perfect for us plus the dog; even a small kid or two in the future but tight. I grew up in the parents 34ft pusher they swapped out every 10 years, but myself I tent camped from high school to a few years ago. This really changed the seasons for me here in the Southeast with AC and a nice place to ride out a storm.

IMG_20210823_122608.jpg
I've been looking at their trailers. They're still pretty affordable.

Theslim_spaydee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT (she gone) 2022 BD Bronco
Occupation
Finance
I am currently waiting on the price of the local Coleman Evolutions to fallout. They have been steady dropping over the last few months.

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
I've been looking at their trailers. They're still pretty affordable.
They really are. Add in the fact they can accommodate a reasonable custom request (lifted suspension, modified cabinets, offroad coupler, etc) and have personable service (my roof rack delayed my trailer, but they called and changed the set up for no cost) and you really get a deal.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I'm going to throw my $2 bucks in...a bit long, for those of you who are thinking of a camper/travel trailer of any kind, new and used, and I'm not recommending one over another as far as type, whether teardrop or full size. Dealers in your area may be a bit different, but as a general rule.....

When buying new, there will always be a "sticker price" just like on vehicles. BUT, you never, ever pay that price !! As a general rule you should be able to pull that trailer out for 20% to 25% under sticker price, unless it is a very specific or semi-custom trailer like some of the "off road or boondocking" trailers that are becoming popular.
As an example, we ordered a new Jayco back in July of 2021, and it listed for a bit over $51.000.00. Due to backlog at that time, covid, labor, material shortage, it wasen't built and delivered till March of this year, as a 2022. We offered $38.000.00, and towed it home for $41,000.00. The markup on rv's is absurd...never never ever pay sticker.
And, now, with higher gas prices, higher interest rates, dealers are starting to accumulate large inventories that are sitting.,,the manufacturers have cought up with the backlog and are shipping like crazy now. Last July, the dealer where we bought ours, Charlie Obaugh RV Center in Staunton Va, had 8 new trailers on the lot. Today they have almost 80, and sales have slacked off.
And remember, the majority of rv's only come with a one year warranty, so if you buy one late in the year, you may get a great price as dealers want to clear out their inventory, but if, because of winter, you don't really use it till spring of next year, half of your warranty is gone.
And if you think getting warranty work done on your Ranger or other vehicle is hard and time consuming, well, double or triple the amount of time you may have to wait on your rv.

Used...yeah there is going to be a poop load of used 1-2 year old trailers coming on the market due to owners buying during covid, not using them, or high gas prices, ect ect.
They will try to sell privately and ask high $$$ , but in reality, their probably trying to get what they owe cause their underwater on them....but, the minute a new trailer is towed off a dealers lot, it will lose 25% to 35% of its value. Our 2022, sticker of $51,000, and purchased for $41,000...if I tried to sell it, even though it's only several months old...I doubt I could get more than $32-$35,000 for it. Even dealers, when they take trade-ins, will give low trade in offers. If a dealer is trying to sell a used trailer, 2-3 years old, for $30,000.00 you can be assured they didn't give more than $15-$18,000.00 toward a new unit. Wouldn't offer more than $20-$22,000.00 for it. And, remember, a used trailer will come with NO warranty, and there are basically NO lemon laws pertaining to rv's...you buy it, it's yours. You buy a used rv, and a month later the ac goes out...$1500 and up, fridge...$1500 and up, water heater...$1000 and up...get slide out fixed...$1000 and up. RV labor rates run around $125 an hour and parts are crazy high $$$. If I needed warranty work on my trailer, because I bought it at Obaugh's, I would get a bit of preference, but even then I would have a 2-3 week wait,,,all while the rig cannot be used.
These things are not cheap to buy and install, and rarely can be repaired. RV ac units are basically throw-away'...if it leaks, it's gone...compressor costs as much to replace as a new ac unit.
You must be a DIY to own one of these things, and even if new, you don't want to have to take it back to the dealer for every little thing unless you cannot fix it yourself.
This is not ment to disparage any from buying an rv and enjoying traveling...it's ment as a heads up as to what you should look at before buying one. I have been in rv's since 1971, and wife and I have traveled across the country 4 times, been in 47 of the 50 states, , across Canada twice, and have enjoyed every minute, and are still traveling in our new trailer, always looking forward to the next trip, whether its a long weekend or a 2-3 week trip.

Last edited:

HDEO

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Tremor, M240i
Occupation
Formulator
I’m excited to hopefully pick up our trailer in next few weeks. We’ve been looking for a couple years. Started with Boreas then followed Off Grid for a while but we are getting an Xpedition Overland Voyager. I think we are next in line for build or close to it. The big attraction to this one is the kitchen layout is pretty cool.

71DAC321-48DD-4C5A-A8ED-CFABA4402051.jpeg

9F10FEF8-97E3-4044-94D4-FDFCE77A9177.jpeg

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I’m excited to hopefully pick up our trailer in next few weeks. We’ve been looking for a couple years. Started with Boreas then followed Off Grid for a while but we are getting an Xpedition Overland Voyager. I think we are next in line for build or close to it. The big attraction to this one is the kitchen layout is pretty cool.

71DAC321-48DD-4C5A-A8ED-CFABA4402051.jpeg

9F10FEF8-97E3-4044-94D4-FDFCE77A9177.jpeg
Those rigs like the one your getting are not the norm...there almost custom built pretty much to order, and don't fall into the info I posted. But, those types of units are built carefully, with no cost cutting, using quality materials. Unfortunately, the run of the mill rigs are slapped together by $15 buck an hour workers who have certain quotas/trailers they must complete on a shift.
Many use the cheapest hardware to assemble them, and I and many other rv'ers are aware of workers running water and electric lines thru walls by just using a hammer to punch a hole thru veneer, rather than using a hole saw or wood boring bit. Common practice. One out of three screws usually miss the stud or backing that attaches one part to another.
Sponsored

Last edited: