John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like the boon is over and the used market is about to be overflowing with trailers. The Facebook group https://m.facebook.com/groups/814413268673565/ , the Escapod page, and the Vistabule page are filling up with people wanting to sell. COVID is over and people are realizing they aren't as outdoorsy as they thought. Most are still pricing a bit high but they're coming down and if you're in the market, the deals are already popping up.
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
too funny !! my wife's idea of "roughing it" is staying at a 4 star hotel.
Same here...arrggg...at least I might be able to buy a used square drop for myself...

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Same here...arrggg...at least I might be able to buy a used square drop for myself...
I've seen a couple in the sub-$3000 range that we're slightly tempting but I'm going to wait until next spring because I'll bet the prices on them drop way out. Fuel prices are up, demand for them is down... Should be a buyers market! I like the Vistabule for some winter car camping.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
This was another reason we held off on buying a travel trailer last year. I watched a lot of videos and several said that once the country completely opens back up many will be selling their TT. One was for the reason you stated but the others were they didn't realize how much work they really are along with the storage fees and loan payment it adds up quickly. Now add higher fuel prices and crazy inflation which is taking a bite out of their disposable income. I see them getting a lot cheaper in the coming months when the economy gets even worse and they can't make their payment.

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
This was another reason we held off on buying a travel trailer last year. I watched a lot of videos and several said that once the country completely opens back up many will be selling their TT. One was for the reason you stated but the others were they didn't realize how much work they really are along with the storage fees and loan payment it adds up quickly. Now add higher fuel prices and crazy inflation which is taking a bite out of their disposable income. I see them getting a lot cheaper in the coming months when the economy gets even worse and they can't make their payment.
So I'm guessing you too spent an embarrassing amount of hours watching Cosmo Weens?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
So I'm guessing you too spent an embarrassing amount of hours watching Cosmo Weens?
Between him and Josh The RV Nerd I don't know how I got any work done last year. lol I do like the teardrops as they're easy to tow and cheaper costs but if we're going to get one I think I need something a little bigger (19'-21') with more amenities. Especially now after being on this trip I can see myself taking off more and longer and would like a little more comfort creatures. Ideally I'd love a big 5th wheel with 2-3 slides so I can have a rolling house and be comfy but that's not going to happen anytime soon. ?

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Between him and Josh The RV Nerd I don't know how I got any work done last year. lol I do like the teardrops as they're easy to tow and cheaper costs but if we're going to get one I think I need something a little bigger (19'-21') with more amenities. Especially now after being on this trip I can see myself taking off more and longer and would like a little more comfort creatures. Ideally I'd love a big 5th wheel with 2-3 slides so I can have a rolling house and be comfy but that's not going to happen anytime soon. ?
I honestly started looking at Runaway Campers like four or five years ago and wish I would've bought one then, both for cost and because now I seen how much nicer some of the others are and have convinced myself I need them. I'm still of the mindset anything more than the little ones is cheating but I get older and less flexible every day...

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I honestly started looking at Runaway Campers like four or five years ago and wish I would've bought one then, both for cost and because now I seen how much nicer some of the others are and have convinced myself I need them.

I'm still of the mindset anything more than the little ones is cheating but I get older and less flexible every day...

This is what people need to remember when buying these smaller ones. I think they're great for a starter trailer but if this is something you're going to do often and for long periods I think they're way to small, especially when you're older.

Also you have to think about the weather because it's not always nice and sunny. I can't picture myself stuck in that coffin for 2-3 days when there's rainy weather, I need a little breathing room. But everyone's different and I've seen a ton of these teardrop trailers along our travels so they're popular and people make them work.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I've been considering a teardrop, pop up, or small TT for a bit. I was hoping this would happen soon.

What's the average width/height of a teardrop? I've been leaning towards a pop up as I can park it in my garage and avoid the HOA/storage fees.

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I've been considering a teardrop, pop up, or small TT for a bit. I was hoping this would happen soon.

What's the average width/height of a teardrop? I've been leaning towards a pop up as I can park it in my garage and avoid the HOA/storage fees.
The length with the tongue would be the only issue; I think most are 12 feet or more. I can get one in my three car if I turn it at an angle but it would be tight straight in.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
The length with the tongue would be the only issue; I think most are 12 feet or more. I can get one in my three car if I turn it at an angle but it would be tight straight in.
That's good to know. I've seen some thinner ones that look like they'd fit but hadn't considered the length with tongue. I'll start looking at that.

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
That's good to know. I've seen some thinner ones that look like they'd fit but hadn't considered the length with tongue. I'll start looking at that.
As light as some of them are you could probably tilt the whole thing up pretty high to help the tongue clear too.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
As light as some of them are you could probably tilt the whole thing up pretty high to help the tongue clear too.
Great minds think alike. When you mentioned having to shift some diagonal to fit in your third car bay I thought to myself...

"That might not work for me but I'd bet you could tilt it up a bit."

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
This is what people need to remember when buying these smaller ones. I think they're great for a starter trailer but if this is something you're going to do often and for long periods I think they're way to small, especially when you're older.

Also you have to think about the weather because it's not always nice and sunny. I can't picture myself stuck in that coffin for 2-3 days when there's rainy weather, I need a little breathing room. But everyone's different and I've seen a ton of these teardrop trailers along our travels so they're popular and people make them work.
You've got it right. You really need to think about how your going to use it and how much. Teardrops are great if your willing to rough it. Better than tenting but still cramped. Pop-ups are a little better space wise but having to pack everything up to fold them up can be pain and takes extra time. Don’t even get me started having to do it in bad weather.(ask me how I know) Did the popup thing for a while with the kids. Saw the Black hills, Bighorns, Yellowstone, Tetons as well as Canada and DC. A lot of great memories, some not so fun. Now I pull an R-Pod. Really nice having a bathroom available and being able to just pull into a truck stop or a Walmart at night if your traveling long ways. Don't need to pull my home with me but a few creature conforts are nice.
Sponsored