Angelito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Field engineer
Hi Angelito,

I spent some time analyzing this picture and then getting my fastener engineer to offer up his opinion. He concurred that this is most likely a poorly tied down truck as the tools used in the assembly plant would have flagged a problem and the vehicle tagged for the repair area. The force to bend the tie rod stud like this is simply not likely and if it was at the plant, the line forum would have to have a hand in getting the tool off the tie rod. Also...this is the first reported instance like this out of many, many Rangers produced. Likely not the Railway staff either. Most probably a haul-away driver loading vehicles for final delivery chaining down a Ranger anyway he/she can to get underway ASAP.... The UBS flange nut has a pattern on it that shows the socket engaged the nut solidly in the vertical position but the small hex shows a weird pattern likely from a tow hook or chain link....

I am far from certain what happened, but have enough experience with assembly to say it is highly unlikely to have been delivered that way from the plant simply as there would be more instances like this if caused by assembly tooling.

Sorry for rambling, but this type of problem is and can be somewhat baffling...

Best,
Phil
Thanks for the analysis! I did ask them if it was due to transport and they said it wasn’t likely be a aisle the strap the wheels down or something of that nature.. I don’t know enough about securing a truck to a carrier.. seems like you know more then them about assembly line protocol.. they couldn’t offer me a reason behind how it happened but they have agreed to repair in under warranty..
With this and the paint defect we found during the walk around when I dropped it off yesterday
 I was losing confidence in the quality of the workmanship but with your explanation of the assembly process I feel I little bit of relief..
Sponsored

OP
OP
AZ_Tremor

AZ_Tremor

First Name
Angelito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Field engineer
Are you sure that it wasn't wrecked in transit?
The car or the bolt
 I’m hoping the car wasn’t wrecked how would I even know?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the analysis! I did ask them if it was due to transport and they said it wasn’t likely be a aisle the strap the wheels down or something of that nature.. I don’t know enough about securing a truck to a carrier.. seems like you know more then them about assembly line protocol.. they couldn’t offer me a reason behind how it happened but they have agreed to repair in under warranty..
With this and the paint defect we found during the walk around when I dropped it off yesterday
 I was losing confidence in the quality of the workmanship but with your explanation of the assembly process I feel I little bit of relief..
HI Angelito,

I can only offer up a "professional opinion" based on 30 years of experience being a Ford Engineer. Since I was not there, I cannot say specifically what caused this, but I have seen many problems of similar nature and thus I am using my experience and that of my Fastener Engineer to determine likely cause. If there were more instances like this....I would become very concerned.

I am just saddened this happened to you.

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
AZ_Tremor

AZ_Tremor

First Name
Angelito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Field engineer
HI Angelito,

I can only offer up a "professional opinion" based on 30 years of experience being a Ford Engineer. Since I was not there, I cannot say specifically what caused this, but I have seen many problems of similar nature and thus I am using my experience and that of my Fastener Engineer to determine likely cause. If there were more instances like this....I would become very concerned.

I am just saddened this happened to you.

Best,
Phil
Your appreciated.. thank you very much.. nice to know people like yourself actually take the time to read these posts and offer up an explanation..
thank you again!

Rick V.

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Scab,63 Fairlane, 22 Scab XLT FX4 302a
Occupation
Fleet bodyman
Unfortunately these things happen I don’t see your dealer giving you a hard time on getting your problem fixed. I worked for a Chevrolet dealer in the early 80’s and the car carriers would chain the cars down so hard that they would bend the shock towers and when they did the PDI’s we would have to porta power the towers to get the vehicles aligned.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
The car or the bolt
No way the truck was wrecked, the bolt yes. Maybe by a chain tie down as mentioned. Who knows. Honestly, it would likely never give you an issue the life of the truck other than it costing you more money in a non-warranty repair that requires it to come off. It should be replaced but don't loose sleep over it.

OP
OP
AZ_Tremor

AZ_Tremor

First Name
Angelito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Field engineer
Unfortunately these things happen I don’t see your dealer giving you a hard time on getting your problem fixed. I worked for a Chevrolet dealer in the early 80’s and the car carriers would chain the cars down so hard that they would bend the shock towers and when they did the PDI’s we would have to porta power the towers to get the vehicles aligned.
[/QUOTE
No way the truck was wrecked, the bolt yes. Maybe by a chain tie down as mentioned. Who knows. Honestly, it would likely never give you an issue the life of the truck other than it costing you more money in a non-warranty repair that requires it to come off. It should be replaced but don't loose sleep over it.
yes bottom you are correct, I would have never known the difference had I not attempted to get it leveled.. the dealership is making the repair and we’ll move forward enjoying the truck as intended
 glad to know it really wasn’t a production issue as explained by the other member

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Are you sure the paint defects are bad enough to have a Carfax showing a painted door?

OP
OP
AZ_Tremor

AZ_Tremor

First Name
Angelito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Field engineer
Are you sure the paint defects are bad enough to have a Carfax showing a painted door?
Is that what the dealer would report? ?
the reason they are repairing it because it looks like something under the paint and was worried it might be corrosion.. most likely not, I dont really know but would suck in the long run if it was

Last edited:

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
The car or the bolt
You mentioned paint defects. I'd inspect for tape lines, over spray, check the fender bolts, bolts in general for signs of disassembly.

If you are generally worried, maybe a body shop would be willing to check.

EDIT: Carfax wouldn't pick up a transit repair, since those are always done in-house/ under the table so to speak.

Usually the dealer is unaware, but a dealer will repair lot damage in-house and unreported as well.

Last edited:

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
the reason they are repairing it because it looks like something under the paint and was worried it might be corrosion.. most likely not, I dont really know but would suck in the long run if it was
If the dealer repairs it it the repair will be picked up by Carfax.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
Hi Angelito,

I spent some time analyzing this picture and then getting my fastener engineer to offer up his opinion. He concurred that this is most likely a poorly tied down truck as the tools used in the assembly plant would have flagged a problem and the vehicle tagged for the repair area. The force to bend the tie rod stud like this is simply not likely and if it was at the plant, the line forum would have to have a hand in getting the tool off the tie rod. Also...this is the first reported instance like this out of many, many Rangers produced. Likely not the Railway staff either. Most probably a haul-away driver loading vehicles for final delivery chaining down a Ranger anyway he/she can to get underway ASAP.... The UBS flange nut has a pattern on it that shows the socket engaged the nut solidly in the vertical position but the small hex shows a weird pattern likely from a tow hook or chain link....

I am far from certain what happened, but have enough experience with assembly to say it is highly unlikely to have been delivered that way from the plant simply as there would be more instances like this if caused by assembly tooling.

Sorry for rambling, but this type of problem is and can be somewhat baffling...

Best,
Phil
100% no way the factory bent the tie rod stud like that.

A lot of force is needed to do that.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Not really. There are plenty of ways to avoid that.
Ok. Let me restate. It has a very good chance of showing up on Carfax. And good luck avoiding it.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Oh, I wonder if it was the same as my truck? I have a friend who works at the Bronco/Ranger factory. I honestly can't remember his exact job other than it has to do with I think programing machines or on the IT side of it. He mentioned sometimes he has heard of media not getting fully cleaned off from when they clean the panels prior to painting. He told me, "I just dont look too close to my Fords" so I will probably take his advice.

I have had SUCH BAD LUCK with body shops that I don't want to complain about it. I would be more upset about a crap repair than the current condition.

Was this like your paint issue?

DSC00003_3 (2).JPG

DSC00002_2 (2).JPG
Sponsored