First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor Lariat
Occupation
Production Manager
Wasn't a big fan of how far out the factory steps sat so I removed them. It's fine for me and the wife but when my dad and I go do things he struggles to get in. I was looking at a side step like I had on my Raptor. Wanted to see if and what people have done.
Sponsored

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
AMP power steps
Expensive but best of both worlds
Clean stowed look and better usability than stock for ppl that need them.
Lots of threads on these

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
As a courtesy to your father, put the steps back on. I have elderly parents and the stock steps work great. Like it or not, the step needs to stick out some to be useful to older folks.

Last edited:

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
AMP power steps
Expensive but best of both worlds
Clean stowed look and better usability than stock for ppl that need them.
Lots of threads on these
100% endorsement of this idea.

I had AMP steps on a GM 1/2T that was lifted and my 5' wife really struggled getting in and out. They are a major stretch price wise, but after you get them, they work so good, look so unobtrusive, I was sold forever on them.

I had planned on a Tremor and the first thing I was going to do is remove the rock catcher, shin scraper OEM steps and install AMP.

I ended up with an FX 4 and again plan on the AMP install, as soon as I am able.

If you do it, you ill not regret it.

ProtonDecay

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Rock sliders are less obtrusive but I am not sure they will have enough surface area for elderly parents to use them for a step. An idea to look into. Cheaper than amp and more functional for body protection.
Yeah, we have the Shrockworks setup and they are great sliders, but wifey still struggles a bit to get into the truck, especially if on unlevel/uneven ground. That's the only real option for us given how we bash around, but someone likely builds something cool for us in the more mature crowd.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
AMP didn't have the steps available when my '19 rolled off the truck. Love them and would have purchased them immediately otherwise.

Buuuutttt I went with the GoRhino RB20 steps. They are a wide platform, but tuck up close to the truck. Myself, wife and disabled father really like them. They also double as a first contact point for doors on other vehicles!

dkirby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Lariat Tremor, '16 Focus RS, '10 Evo X
Occupation
Engineer
For anyone wondering, the AMP Power Step sits about 2-1/2 inches lower than the Tremor hoop steps and about 4-1/2 inches lower than the factory "5 inch rectangular running boards".

Last edited:

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
For anyone wondering, the AMP Power Step sits about 2-1/2 inches lower than the Tremor hoop steps and about 4-1/2 inches lower than the factory "5 inch rectangular running boards".
Is that fully extended or tucked up?

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
As a courtesy to your father, put the steps back on. I have elderly parents and the stock steps work great. Like it or not, the step needs to stick out some to be useful to older folks.
I agree Joe. OP if the step is still a bit high stop by your local Wally World, and pick up a cheap step stool to help him out. We're talking about Dad here, and you want to help him as much as possible. Who cares what the steps look like.

Last edited:

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
I have Rocky Road sliders with kickout and it is just enough step for me and my passengers. I wanted the benefit of strength and protection over a big step. The added weight (120lbs), wait(6 months to build) and cost may not be for everyone but the strength and protection work for me, plus a never bend gaurantee!

Did I mention these things are seriously stout?

Last edited:

William Oz

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Escape
Occupation
Autoworker
I replaced mine with the Havoc HS 2. It is a lower step than the stock steps.
You're not stepping up then squatting down to sit. It helps me a lot with my arthritic knees.
I tried running without the running boards, but the back of my pants suffered.
fits perfectly in the stock holes.
Heavy. Twice the weight of stock boards. I've noticed they stiffen the ride of the cab.
IMG_20220424_174333_01.jpg
IMG_20220424_174333_02.jpg
20220607_172449.jpg

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Wasn't a big fan of how far out the factory steps sat so I removed them. It's fine for me and the wife but when my dad and I go do things he struggles to get in. I was looking at a side step like I had on my Raptor. Wanted to see if and what people have done.
Check out american trucks they have not only lots of parts and stuff but also a catalogue of builds and stuff where you can see what things ppl have added on, does a great job giving a preview of what it would look like
Sponsored