OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 2019 Ford Ranger, 2012 VW Golf R Stage 2+, VW Tiguan Stage 1, VW 1958 Bug, 1776cc Stroker Motor, VW 2008 beetle, BMW 2012 K1600GTL, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, my name is Debbie Downer....

isnt this where the tuners say it was caused by a failed oil pump, and its not their warranty problem
Ford holds strong on "not an oil pump failure, failed because of the tune"

and the OP pulls out his hair in frustration, burns the truck to the ground. and buys that sweet new Nissan? lookit those body lines....she's sweet
1613005313426.png
LMAO!!! You take me back to the 80ā€™s, when I had my first Toyota Tercel coupe... I installed a PA system in the engine bay... so weā€™d take turns slow rolling through grocery stores, while the guy in the back, would be talking on the megaphone... nSo as slow rolled through K-Mart.... Scotty, had his turn in the back seat... ā€œHi, Iā€™m Tony Toyota... would you like to touch me?? We have a Blue Light Special on toilet paper... aisle 5... run now if you need itā€ people would be looking at our car, and the 2 people in the front had to keep a straight face...
Sponsored

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Likewise I thought a map is used on the Ranger - I think a lot of modern management systems have gone to map based systems - they are more reliable.

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
My wife just replaced my Hyundai Elantra rental, with a 2020 black on black Ford Mustang Convertible EcoBoost, 2.3 4 cylinder... Iā€™m gonna go flash it with a 5 Star Tune and enjoy my rental, and date nights ??
Ok, you KNOW the rules of the NET......Pictures of the stang and said wife or post will be deemed inapproiate and deleted.

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 2019 Ford Ranger, 2012 VW Golf R Stage 2+, VW Tiguan Stage 1, VW 1958 Bug, 1776cc Stroker Motor, VW 2008 beetle, BMW 2012 K1600GTL, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, you KNOW the rules of the NET......Pictures of the stang and said wife or post will be deemed inapproiate and deleted.
Prepare to delete me ??

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh my, what can ā€œAll My Modsā€ do to destroy this engine?? Ford, please tell me...

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
Some seem to think Ford will Automatically cancel warranty if a tune is installed and there is an engine failure. This is not necessarily the case. I have seen several replaced under warranty with Ford KNOWING that it had been running a tune. This includes a 6.7 PS ($14K) that the tuner was still laying on the seat where the owner had just downloaded the stock tune back in it and a 3.5 ecoboost that spit a rod while towing and owner admitted he was running a tune. Only one I saw them decline with no negotiation was a 5.0 that was brought in on a trailer with the class markings still on the window and the slicks still on the back. The dealer does in no way decide if it is warranty or not. Ford even specifies the actual pictures it requires even down to the pixel size. If they see something that concerns them, they will ask for additional pictures, they specify, fuel or oil analysis or other things such as maint. records. The dealer has been given a warranty rejection that includes what they (Ford) base their decision on. Bottom line, the fat lady hasn't sung yet. Explain that you are not satisfied with what you have been told and want the Ford regional manager to please call and explain. Keep the attitude you have already shown and be patient. Remember...."Can you be 100% positive the tune is what caused the engine to fail"?

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Some seem to think Ford will Automatically cancel warranty if a tune is installed and there is an engine failure. This is not necessarily the case. I have seen several replaced under warranty with Ford KNOWING that it had been running a tune. This includes a 6.7 PS ($14K) that the tuner was still laying on the seat where the owner had just downloaded the stock tune back in it and a 3.5 ecoboost that spit a rod while towing and owner admitted he was running a tune. Only one I saw them decline with no negotiation was a 5.0 that was brought in on a trailer with the class markings still on the window and the slicks still on the back. The dealer does in no way decide if it is warranty or not. Ford even specifies the actual pictures it requires even down to the pixel size. If they see something that concerns them, they will ask for additional pictures, they specify, fuel or oil analysis or other things such as maint. records. The dealer has been given a warranty rejection that includes what they (Ford) base their decision on. Bottom line, the fat lady hasn't sung yet. Explain that you are not satisfied with what you have been told and want the Ford regional manager to please call and explain. Keep the attitude you have already shown and be patient. Remember...."Can you be 100% positive the tune is what caused the engine to fail"?
Thank you Stroker, for the info... I appreciate everyoneā€™s info on here... Iā€™m not trying to find a free ride, just an honest one... I havenā€™t contacted 5 Star yet, and wonā€™t, because I donā€™t believe itā€™s the tune... Itā€™s an oil pump failure, and Ford is going to hide behind ā€œall the modsā€ clause, without any specification as to what MOD caused the failure... I just want to thank everyone on this forum, even to the nay sayers that werenā€™t on my side... just reading you guys going back and forth, has enlightened me... I love the professional content that this site delivers, knowing, that itā€™s all on your own time... and as Iā€™ve said before, Iā€™ll keep you posted as I learn more... when I rebuild this engine, I WILL reflash it with a 5 Star Tune... It wasnā€™t the tune... the oil pump failed, and theyā€™re blaming the mods... thatā€™s my gut instinct... until again my friends, keep it on the road...

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

LightingBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fx4 off-road Larit Supercab (2019)
I would think the trucks computer would show the oil light prior to engine fail ??ā€ā™‚
I'm not sure you've ever properly thrown a piston through the head before. The few times i've let lose the dogs of war into the world there was no warning as an oil light only measures oil pressure. The fun kinds of catastrophic engine failure cause the oil pressure issue instead of being caused by lack of lubricity.

... and as Iā€™ve said before, Iā€™ll keep you posted as I learn more... when I rebuild this engine, I WILL reflash it with a 5 Star Tune... It wasnā€™t the tune... the oil pump failed, and theyā€™re blaming the mods... thatā€™s my gut instinct... until again my friends, keep it on the road...
Having gone through this thread once or twice now and haven't found anything apart from anecdotal conjecture that the oil pump was the cause of your failure. Has Ford confirmed it was oil starvation and not a result of aftermarket modifications?

Then again, I was one of the people asking for something beyond "feelings" that the tune was not the cause of the failure.

Full disclosure: I've modified my cars plenty over the years and have done the song and dance of tiptoeing around mods to get warranty work done. Your situation was going to be peeing into the wind from the moment you started this thread based on how you're presenting facts (or lack there of) and guestimating how that would be communicated to the tech rep.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ā€˜23 Macan,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I'm not sure you've ever properly thrown a piston through the head before. The few times i've let lose the dogs of war into the world there was no warning as an oil light only measures oil pressure. The fun kinds of catastrophic engine failure cause the oil pressure issue instead of being caused by lack of lubricity.

Having gone through this thread once or twice now and haven't found anything apart from anecdotal conjecture that the oil pump was the cause of your failure. Has Ford confirmed it was oil starvation and not a result of aftermarket modifications?

Then again, I was one of the people asking for something beyond "feelings" that the tune was not the cause of the failure.

Full disclosure: I've modified my cars plenty over the years and have done the song and dance of tiptoeing around mods to get warranty work done. Your situation was going to be peeing into the wind from the moment you started this thread based on how you're presenting facts (or lack there of) and guestimating how that would be communicated to the tech rep.
And yet the tune ā€œwarrantyā€ has done what? They could save the day here.

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Before you flash that mustang....
Possibly, a different motor than the mustang?
ā€œThere is a thread on this forum (link below) that shows some of the engineering differences that the Ranger engine has. The head/top of the block is more like the RS engine, the inlet is basically the same as the Mustang. The sump and oil pump setup is unique to the Ranger.
The other known major unique parts are the oil cooler/filter setup and the electronically controlled wastegate (wastegate =/= blow off valve, the wastegate is in the turbine side, the CBV is in the compressor side).

I'd imagine the compressor bypass valve is the same part common to all of the 2.3 EBs. PS it isn't a blow off valve, it is a re-circulation valve.

Be warned that the way airflow is measured in these engines means that letting air out of the system at the turbo can cause fuel metering issues. It most likely won't be enough to throw a code as it doesn't in the RS etc, MAF is measured up near the air filter in the piping.ā€
Regards
Doc

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/2019-ranger-2-3l-ecoboost-engine-intro.1018/
Doc, that was just a joke.. not gonna flash my rental ?

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

No sir.. I havenā€™t received anything from Ford about the oil pump... All Iā€™ve heard is ā€œall the modsā€
I explained, to everyone... that I believe to pay to play... Iā€™m not trying to do a song and dance to try and tip toe through a warranty issue... what Iā€™m stating, is that I donā€™t believe itā€™s the ā€œModsā€ that caused the failure... I believe that Ford is throwing the blanket ā€œall the modsā€ to void the warranty... I understand that modifying my motor at any point, voids the warranty... but if you, knew in your heart, that the oil pump failed, to throw me the ā€œlow oil pressure lightā€ would you man up as a company, and fix it, or just blame the ā€All the mods??ā€ The first thing I was asked was, ā€œdid you get a check engine light??ā€ The yellow thing that looks like an engine?? NO, I didnā€™t... I donā€™t believe anything that 5 Star sold me or did for me, broke my engine... thatā€™s why I will not pursue anything blaming 5 Star... This truck ran flawlessly with their tune and every mod I purchased through them... I will pay to play...
Sponsored

Last edited: