Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure it helps because they cant see what's inside when it's tinted opposed to ones that aren't. Here most vehicles are way over the legal limit and you can barely make out if there's a driver in there never mind what's inside.
No I meant does the tint film itself actually effectively slow down the “smash” process. Does the tint film actually make it harder to get inside, or at least make it take just longer enough that thieves will look for another easier target?
Sponsored

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
In Texas we have the right to use deadly force to prevent theft at your home or in your vehicle. Not saying I would to stop a vehicle theft, but if it comes down to it, smoke-’em if you got ‘em.
If they try to steal anything from your home or driveway, you can use deadly force to stop them. No threat of bodily harm required.
Texas law allows a person to use deadly force to protect themselves in their home or vehicle. Therefore, the Castle Doctrine only applies if you were in your vehicle when someone tries to steal your car. For instance, say someone tries to carjack you at a red light or in a parking lot after getting into your vehicle.
god bless texas. criminals really do prefer unarmed victims.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
No I meant does the tint film itself actually effectively slow down the “smash” process. Does the tint film actually make it harder to get inside, or at least make it take just longer enough that thieves will look for another easier target?
Gotcha, I'd say not really. It'll probably keep the glass from shattering all over the place but a couple good hits and the window will fall right inside.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I keep my guns and my ammo locked in a safe. The idea of shooting another human for just about anything is horrifying. Especially to protect something I have full coverage on.

Seems like a lot of fantasies about killing people in this thread. Creepy.
I know in Ohio where I have my CCW it's to protect yourself or someone else from the threat of death or serious harm. I'm not living with shooting someone over any object. If they're in your home you don't know if they just want your money or to inflect harm you're on firm ground to fire. I'd try to hold them at gun point until police arrive but if they made a move it is what it is.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
It would also help if the cops/DA would act on people destroying others' stuff when they have clear evidence.

As an example today.. not of theft but of the destruction of property. I went to get the kids breakfast and I hear a horrific noise. A rental box truck is in the process of running over a small business (restaurant) metal fence and one outside table... they didn't know how to drive something as big as an F450 it seems. The truck keeps going. I walk around and see it has stopped behind the building. I get a clear picture of the plate, the truck's number, and the driver. My wife owns a small business... so I know it can suck to have a sudden expense like a freaking fence anchored in concrete to replace because someone can't drive. The building owners had cameras as well; so they could watch that epic bad driving later. What did the cops do.. nothing. Never sent a car out. They had plenty of time to make it, as the truck driver realized they were not even in the right place to drop off whatever it was they had..... made a scene about that with a bit of yelling concerning location - they could care less about me taking pictures. They probably didn't say anything to me being 6'2" and 260pds maybe..... Anyway, cops told me and the owner to take it up with the rental company to see what business/person was renting the truck that did that and handle it with insurance. Screw the fact they hit something and drove off... and really really really shouldn't be driving something that big if making a corner is that hard.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
It would also help if the cops/DA would act on people destroying others' stuff when they have clear evidence.

As an example today.. not of theft but of the destruction of property. I went to get the kids breakfast and I hear a horrific noise. A rental box truck is in the process of running over a small business (restaurant) metal fence and one outside table... they didn't know how to drive something as big as an F450 it seems. The truck keeps going. I walk around and see it has stopped behind the building. I get a clear picture of the plate, the truck's number, and the driver. My wife owns a small business... so I know it can suck to have a sudden expense like a freaking fence anchored in concrete to replace because someone can't drive. The building owners had cameras as well; so they could watch that epic bad driving later. What did the cops do.. nothing. Never sent a car out. They had plenty of time to make it, as the truck driver realized they were not even in the right place to drop off whatever it was they had..... made a scene about that with a bit of yelling concerning location - they could care less about me taking pictures. They probably didn't say anything to me being 6'2" and 260pds maybe..... Anyway, cops told me and the owner to take it up with the rental company to see what business/person was renting the truck that did that and handle it with insurance. Screw the fact they hit something and drove off... and really really really shouldn't be driving something that big if making a corner is that hard.
there's finally some pushback on some of this crap. Progressive prosecutors have been reducing or eliminating bail an allowing immediate release of criminals in all but the most violent crimes. This has given us the "smash an grab" organized robberies. The mayor of SanFran wants to crack down but the prosecutor objects. When you defund police departments an reduce jail time you're asking for more crime. Hell if I were a criminal I'd relocate to one of those cities for the better working conditions.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i can accept that some folks have to steal to survive, things like food water clothes etc. it should not have to be that way, but it is not a perfect world. if someone stole something from my truck that was actually to help them live, feed a kid and so on i wouldnt even bother calling the cops. lately it seems things are more sport, crime for the sake of grins and no repercussions. someone broke in my old truck (doors were not locked, too stupid to check) and used a pry bar or something on the door lock. so they broke the unlocked lock... made a mess looking for stuff of value and got away with nothing more than some road flares and about four bucks from the ash tray. however, in the bed of the truck was my cooler ready for camping stuffed to the gills with food drinks and beer. untouched. that told me they did not need to steal, they were just a holes.

Eoj

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 lariat fx4
Lord. Got a panic call from my dad that someone has broken into their house. Which is odd since their alarm comapany will call me first. But I’m a quarter mile away and have my leosa certificate and cc. I run over there do a perimeter search checking windows and doors. Everything intact. I go inside and alarm starts to sound so I shut it off. My 85 year old parents are locked in the bedroom scared to death. Well this creative thief, namely my mother, had hung huge heavy stockings from a table runner on the fireplace mantle. Gravity took over pulling it and pictures, cards, a candle, pottery off and shattering on the floor. I’m sure it sounded like someone breaking down the sliding glass door. I am not a Christmas fan

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Lord. Got a panic call from my dad that someone has broken into their house. Which is odd since their alarm comapany will call me first. But I’m a quarter mile away and have my leosa certificate and cc. I run over there do a perimeter search checking windows and doors. Everything intact. I go inside and alarm starts to sound so I shut it off. My 85 year old parents are locked in the bedroom scared to death. Well this creative thief, namely my mother, had hung huge heavy stockings from a table runner on the fireplace mantle. Gravity took over pulling it and pictures, cards, a candle, pottery off and shattering on the floor. I’m sure it sounded like someone breaking down the sliding glass door. I am not a Christmas fan
Hi Joe,

This plays out in Green Valley frequently. Trying to take advantage of our older folks....Wife and I get these posts frequently. What we do is block them and let them fade in to the internet....

best,
Phil

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Window glass with tint is still easy to break from the inside out as the glass is being pushed away from the tint . I noted this because some people get confused and think window tint can make it harder to get out of a vehicle in an accident . It does not . I does make it more difficult to break into the vehicle as you are pushing the glass into the tint film which is made up of multiple polyester layers and adhesive . It takes but one hit to untinted glass to shatter it everywhere but usually multiple hits to break window film tinted glass and fold it to the inside . Most thieves will look for easier targets .

Gorilla glass and modern bullet proof glass use the same type polyester film layered glass .

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
I know my response to thieves may be too harsh for some in here so I will frefrain from comments so I don’t send anyone to their safe space. This type of stuff doesn’t happen that much at all in my well armed neck of the woods where we haven’t forgotten how to look out for and defend eachother . ??

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
i can accept that some folks have to steal to survive, things like food water clothes etc. it should not have to be that way, but it is not a perfect world. if someone stole something from my truck that was actually to help them live, feed a kid and so on i wouldnt even bother calling the cops. lately it seems things are more sport, crime for the sake of grins and no repercussions. someone broke in my old truck (doors were not locked, too stupid to check) and used a pry bar or something on the door lock. so they broke the unlocked lock... made a mess looking for stuff of value and got away with nothing more than some road flares and about four bucks from the ash tray. however, in the bed of the truck was my cooler ready for camping stuffed to the gills with food drinks and beer. untouched. that told me they did not need to steal, they were just a holes.
god bless texas. criminals really do prefer unarmed victims.
I do not wish to shoot anyone for breaking into a truck. I do however, realize that there are places that are not safe and where I should not be if I do not want any trouble. I do realize that it is anecdotal only and I am not bringing raw data to my claim. But, I would really say that when places become crime ridden, it is time to take precautions and even move to a safer location.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I do not wish to shoot anyone for breaking into a truck. I do however, realize that there are places that are not safe and where I should not be if I do not want any trouble. I do realize that it is anecdotal only and I am not bringing raw data to my claim. But, I would really say that when places become crime ridden, it is time to take precautions and even move to a safer location.
i likely would not either. things like theft are the job of the police. they get paid to deal with it. if they try to break in the truck while im in it or a loved one etc, then i will defend with whatever force is needed and will feel no sorrow for what happens to the bad guys. same for my home or land. if they wanna take my fed ex package off the porch, fine. i got cameras and the packages are insured. if they cross a threshold into my home or any of its confines it will be defended. i dont look for situations to defend my self. i try to avoid them and abide by laws.
since my example was in my own driveway, less than a mile from the police station i will not be moving anyplace. i dont live in a "bad area". the theme of bad area just shows good folks gave up on it and laws were not enforced. do criminals double think going into "good areas". no. those that will do evil will do it any place. running from ones home or land even turning over ones possessions they worked for legally only empowers criminals. if someone wants what i have they should work and sacrifice the way i have and get it. if they are at such horrible point in life that they cannot do that then i feel bad for them but it changes nothing on my end. i did not make the events of the life they live happen. evil happens in the world when good people do not take a stand against it. i personally wouldnt shoot someone for trying to steal my truck out of the driveway. but bad guys should be aware that some people might and it is possible. that works as a deterrent. if consequences are possible and enforcement takes place some may decided not to commit a crime. that is the point of laws and criminal justice. now, i can agree if one is at the abandoned train yard at 2 am alone, where it is well know drug trades and murders happen then yes not smart at all and one may expect a bad outcome. just like criminals, when they do stupid illegal things they may (should) expect a bad outcome. so do not be foolish and do things that are not safe and expect cookies and roses then sure. i can agree with that.
yes, God bless Texas and everyone.
Sponsored