The Tire Pressure Thread.. ... .... .....

I use the air pressure that's specified on the door frame placard

• Total voters

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I’m running my FX4 at 36psi and I like how it rides.
Sponsored

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I had been running my stock Hankook ATM tires at exactly 30 PSI since I took delivery of my FX4 Lariat Super Crew in mid-August. Several days ago, I decided to try a higher level and took them up to 35 all around. The ride on 30 was already rough and bouncy; and at 35, contrary to the findings of many members, it is a bit rougher and bouncier, IMHO. But the truck definitely moves quicker and faster, given the reduced rolling resistance, and I have already noticed an improvement in mileage in combined city/highway driving, from 20.4 to 20.5--and rising. I will have the Ford-branded Fox two-inch leveling kit installed in a few weeks, which, hopefully, will reduce some of the roughness and bounciness from the ride while allowing me to enjoy the increased performance and mileage that the increased PSI has already delivered.

IMG_3026.JPG

IMG_3016.JPG

Noseoil

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger / 2013 Honda Civic / Red Rocket mini bike (zoom!)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I did 34 psi cold all around & like the ride. Door sticker says 30 psi (factory 17" rims & XLT), but it feels a bit soft & mushy that way. I did chalk the tires & drive it in a lot for about 100' after adding pressure & it looks to be about right this way. Soft tires are OK if you like a mushy ride, but it's a truck not a car. It should ride like a truck, not a sedan.

Michael Bailey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape SE 2.0 4x4, 1974 Norton Commando 850, 1967 Norton P11 750
Occupation
Trout Fisher, Layabout, US Army SGM (Ret)
Vehicle Showcase
Same here, but my dealer had done the PDI and dropped them down to 30psi before I took delivery.
I just bumped them up to 32 a week ago and like the ride better.
I've ordered Winter/Snow tires and I'll be swapping to those in a few weeks since I have plans for more winter travels all across the state.
FYI. I was able to get a set of additional "take off" wheels to mount snow/winter tires. Now I will just have to do the equivalent to a "pit stop" in December to get ready for snow season, and reinstall the OEM setup in March for better mileage and the quieter ride in dry weather.

Lots of guys buy these trucks and immediately take off the stock wheels and tires for big, custom wheels and tires. These "take offs" fill up garages and guys are happy to get rid of them cheap.

Allenfrx

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Fx4, chrome pckg, tow pck.
I actually run mine close to 30 when warm.

Reason being that rubber naturally hardens the colder it gets and the lower your pressure the better traction you get.

So If it is in the teens I might be at 28psi....and that's just fine w me.

Last edited:

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I actually run mine close to 30 when warm.

Reason being that rubber naturally hardens the colder it gets and the lower your pressure the better traction you get.

So If it is in the teens I might be at 28psi....abd that's just fine w me.
Mine are at 36 all the way around and I'm going to do the same as you once the snow starts flying

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm my sticker says 30psi. All four tires were 41-42psi on delivery

Ride is a little bouncy, not as “planted” as my F150 SCrew 4x4 XLT was, but not a particularly bad ride. So far after 1300 miles, averaging about 21.5 mpg.

Seems I get better mileage off freeway (23-24mpg) than I do on (20-21mpg).

Just dropped the pressure down to 31psi cold. Will see if I notice a difference in the ride on my commute home today. My experience in general is a little higher pressure usually improve gas mileage 1-2mpg. Hopefully it doesn’t go down any with the lower pressure.

SuperCrew Lariat 4x4 FX4

36670DC3-2568-4BD5-8E69-FBC3E0FF9956.jpeg
My experience in raising cold PSI from the recommended 30 to 35 is that the ride is bouncier but mileage is improved. My Ranger Lariat FX4's lifetime (that is, since mid-August, with c. 2,500 miles logged) is 20.6 MPG--and rising! I get better mileage on freeway, probably because I am up early (4:00 A.M.) and out there before it gets crowded, which allows me to use Cruise Control for significant parts of my daily drive. I just purchased the Ford-branded Fox-based two-inch leveling kit, which should arrive at my local Ford dealer's Parts window in about a week. I intend to keep the PSI at 35 and expect that this slight leveling and the new shocks will improve the ride but, alas, decrease mileage! Life is full of trade-offs!

IMG_3026.JPG

IMG_3016.JPG

Rangerado

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-350
Occupation
Harvester of Pain
Vehicle Showcase
The recommended 30PSI seems to be the best pressure for both the stock 255/65R17 Duelers and now the 255/75R17 Duratracs i had installed.

The installer put 33psi in the Duratracs and i could feel the knobs and hear the tire more than after I reduced the pressure to 30 in the front and 29.5 in the back.

At 30psi, The ride smoothed out and quieted, and the front treads appear to be making ideal contact with the road surface.

OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I don't want to remove the spare but I wonder if it's at 50psi like the rest when delivered...
Carry a tire gauge, one of those pencil types, in your console.... no worries.

Might be a good idea to drop the spare and flip it though so you can check the pressure a couple times a year. A flat spare tire is just ballast.

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
33 in the front and 31 in the rear on stock 265\65\17's. Mother nature is gradually reducing my tire pressure which isn't bad for winter driving. I'll most likely just see where it goes. In my experience, having a coupe of pounds difference will allow the tires to wear evenly. Should I load the bed, I'll adjust accordingly.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I voted "B", for this truck. 265/65-17 Hankook DynaPro's on an XLT SuperCrew FX4. I settled on 35psi cold as my magic number.