Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
1679410298563.png

^^^^^^from that thread^^^^^^^^^^^

i never throw anything away. when i put on an avs hood deflector i didnt put these little guys on the hood. didnt seem like they would really be necessary. now i have a use for them.

1679410837046.png
C L E V E R
Sponsored

philanderer

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 ford ranger
That is why I prefer the old fashion just reach over & give the knob a twist type of HVAC. :like:

DSCN7832.JPG
thats what the xl gets? i would much prefer this layout, being old school and technology challenged (only had a smart phone for about 6 years, and im 63). very similar to what i had in my raptor, which was bone stock. i almost ordered an xl, but i didnt like the wheel offerings. if i had to do it all over again, i would order an xl with the steelies, and change them out for aftermarket 16 inchers. always preferred the "more rubber" look anyways

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon

Ranger X

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver Ranger Sport 4x4
1679410298563.png

^^^^^^from that thread^^^^^^^^^^^

i never throw anything away. when i put on an avs hood deflector i didnt put these little guys on the hood. didnt seem like they would really be necessary. now i have a use for them.

1679410837046.png
4B6923CD-58D2-4889-877F-800A1B487AA1.gif

Juniper

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew
Occupation
Retired
I'm not old school, nor technology-challenged (built my first computer in 1976), but being tech-savvy doesn't help in this case. The HVAC controls on my 2021 Ranger are among the worst designed from a user's point of view that I've ever seen. An array of flat, featureless black rectangles with small labels is not easy to operate even in broad daylight, and at night--forget it. I will not take my eyes off the road long enough to figure out which button to press.

The fact that Ford's voice control is disabled when CarPlay is in use rules out that option. (I'm not blaming Ford for this; it wouldn't be practical to have two different systems listening for commands at the same time.) Putting the HVAC system on "auto" and leaving it there is one solution, but there are times when I want to manually adjust the fan speed or temperature.

So some kind of tactile feedback is needed--something that you can feel without looking. The clear bump dots (that's their most common name) mentioned above are one way. I've tried those, but found that they were larger than I wanted--although that does have the advantage of making them really obvious to the touch. (I do use bump dots on my thermostat at home. It's located in a dim nook, and I like to be able to operate it at night without squinting or using a flashlight.)

Another way, and the one I settled on, was to use eighth inch thick self-adhesive craft foam. I cut it into small shapes, such as triangles or thin strips that can be applied without obscuring the labels on the buttons. Using different shapes helps me to distinguish buttons by feel. I don't apply these to all the buttons--only the ones I use most often. (I do the same thing on my steering wheel buttons.)

Still, I wish my Ranger had the HVAC controls of my 2019 Subaru Outback. Not only did it have physical knobs, but the set temperature was displayed in the center of each knob (driver and passenger). Now that's a good design!

Yev

First Name
Yevgeniy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019 Lariat FX4, Tesla Model 3
I just don't understand the need to futz around with the HVAC every half mile down the road.

Certainly not enough to stick little rubber doodads allover my dash.
Mine has a nasty habit of warming up the cabin, then suddenly start blowing cold air. I find myself often adjusting fan speed and bumping up the temperature to compensate for that. Not sure why it cannot maintain a certain temp. at lower fan speeds once it reaches it.
Location of temp. control on the dash is not the best. I don't really like having rubber bumpers sticked to it but if there was something nicer looking I would go for it.

Doogie

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 2wd/ 2003 F150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Re(tired) Electrician
Voice control - Climate, 72 degrees. She does the rest. :like:
Really, I didn't realize that. I've used voice control for Nav. Didn't know about this

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Voice control - Climate, 72 degrees. She does the rest. :like:
So what do you have to say to turn the fan speed up or down? And temp, do you have to say a specific temp?
Sponsored