Tekonsha Brake Controller Install! Super "Easy"

John Galt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
I transferred my brake controller from my Grand Cherokee over to the Ranger today. Super easy, although why couldn't Ford just put a freaking plug on the end of the wires for us. Im disappointed in this.
Pulled the lower driver kick panel and saw the 3 wires coming through the firewall. The purple wire was harder to find, it was taped up to the large white plug on the left in the picture. I had to extend this wire to reach where I wanted to mount the controller.
I thought about mounting it under the dash where my knees are but I feel like the knee compartment in the ranger is very tight already. I decided to mount it near the 12 volt outlets as seen in the pic.
This required taking the trim pieces off the whole dash, but I feel it was worth it. Its a very clean and convenient install.
file-8.jpeg
file1-1.jpeg
file2.jpeg
file3.jpeg
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I transferred my brake controller from my Grand Cherokee over to the Ranger today. Super easy, although why couldn't Ford just put a freaking plug on the end of the wires for us. Im disappointed in this.
Pulled the lower driver kick panel and saw the 3 wires coming through the firewall. The purple wire was harder to find, it was taped up to the large white plug on the left in the picture. I had to extend this wire to reach where I wanted to mount the controller.
I thought about mounting it under the dash where my knees are but I feel like the knee compartment in the ranger is very tight already. I decided to mount it near the 12 volt outlets as seen in the pic.
This required taking the trim pieces off the whole dash, but I feel it was worth it. Its a very clean and convenient install.
file-8.jpeg
file1-1.jpeg
file2.jpeg
file3.jpeg
I put mine on the left of the steering wheel, that thing is too big for that cubby and it’s where I put my phone. It’s mounted with a really strong magnet so it comes right out of I need it elsewhere.

5EFFB48F-5004-4E62-AE0C-075A1CEC77C1.jpeg

OP
OP

John Galt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
I put mine on the left of the steering wheel, that thing is too big for that cubby and it’s where I put my phone. It’s mounted with a really strong magnet so it comes right out of I need it elsewhere.

5EFFB48F-5004-4E62-AE0C-075A1CEC77C1.jpeg
That’s great. Ya there’s a couple places to put it. I don’t use my cubby at all. I tried where you have yours but I’m 6 ft 3 and my knees literally would take out the controller every time I got out of the truck. I tend to sit close and secure, old habits die hard. My 5ft 10 wife moves the seat back every time she gets In.
I do need to fine a spot to mount my nGuage. My golf had its tune pod in the vent and I loved it but nothing for the ranger, and I assume nothing that integrated will every be released.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm just an average sized human male, so I don't have to worry about fitting in places (usually). That spot worked for me, and with the magnet, it's a 1 second remove.

WhiteLightning19

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just an average sized human male, so I don't have to worry about fitting in places (usually). That spot worked for me, and with the magnet, it's a 1 second remove.
@t4thfavor I'm looking to install a P3 Like you did, can you provide more details about how the magnet piece works? I seen another post where you mentions the magnet(s). Does this mounting solution use 1 or 2 magnets?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@t4thfavor I'm looking to install a P3 Like you did, can you provide more details about how the magnet piece works? I seen another post where you mentions the magnet(s). Does this mounting solution use 1 or 2 magnets?
It relies on two of the magnets linked, one is placed inside the handle area, and the other is bolted to the P3's bracket. I did not secure the inside magnet with anything, but I would recommend doing so with either a small blob of super glue (small so you can remove it if needed). Or maybe some thin 3M grey tape.

I've bounced it down really messed up dirt roads and it has not moved on it's own once.

WhiteLightning19

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
It relies on two of the magnets linked, one is placed inside the handle area, and the other is bolted to the P3's bracket. I did not secure the inside magnet with anything, but I would recommend doing so with either a small blob of super glue (small so you can remove it if needed). Or maybe some thin 3M grey tape.

I've bounced it down really messed up dirt roads and it has not moved on it's own once.
Thanks for the quick reply! Trying to find the exact thread you posted a link to the magnets in so I can get them ordered.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
Have you confirmed the magnets do not interfere with the controller sensors?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes, the brake controller is accelerometer controlled, and the magnets have been stuck there since it was installed. No issues whatsoever with either the controller, the truck or the trailer. Sorry it took me several months to reply to this :)
Sponsored