Tech package... is it worth it?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I think I've actually used the truck NAV only once, and that was to try out the "bread crumbs" feature.

Kinda neat but 3rd party apps do it better.
Sponsored

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Maps works for me and they are always up to date.
I always get a chuckle when folks say Google is always up to date. There have been three new housing developments built in my area in the past that are over six years old now. None of them showed up on Google Maps for for over a year after folks were living there. They showed up in the following years Sync maps.

So yes Google is updated much more frequently but I would venture a guess that 90% or more of the updates are points of interest not actual changes to roads. I have a couple 2000 vintage TomToms that haven't been updated since probably 03 or 04 and they will still get me to where I need to go 99.99% of the time.

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
Phone nav ALSO uses GPS satellites. The only reason it might need cellular data is if it needs to download maps or live traffic information. Some apps cannot store maps if you turn the truck off (like Waze). Others can do this (such as Google Maps). And others (like Gaia GPS) can store the maps and nav data even longer.

Not saying that there aren't other reasons that factory nav might have its place. But getting the facts straight first is important. If you don't know how it works, you can't make educated decisions.
Maybe it does, but my phone struggles with nav and GPS inside the vehicle while in the mountains and backwoods whereas the factory nav does not.

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
I also need to add on my 2019 I ended up getting factory nav for free. At the time, the dealer adjusted a stock order for me and I had them remove the tech package. Anyhow I don't know what happened, but the adaptive cruise was removed, but somehow the navigation stayed on the build sheet and it was installed, but I was never charged.

I ordered the tech package on my 2022 XLT Tremor.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Maybe it does, but my phone struggles with nav and GPS inside the vehicle while in the mountains and backwoods whereas the factory nav does not.
GPS hardware in phone varies. Some are better than others in this regard, but there is no question that phones have their own GPS hardware and they use it for nav apps. As I said in another thread, you can get external bluetooth GPS receivers to boost nav performance of your phone. if you have an app that stores maps, then it's fine.

The truck's onboard nav has 2 benefits. One being antenna placement. It'll be located higher than your phone and less obscured by other stuff. The other benefit, and it's a big one, is that the truck's GPS hardware is less constrained by the limitations of the small phone. Both the size of the hardware and power consumption. The truck's hardware is free to be bigger and more power hungry, which is likely to result in improved reception.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I wouldn't get the Tech package for the Nav as it's pretty average.

The other stuff in the package is worthwhile though. I like the adaptive cruise far better than I thought I would.

As far as nav goes, the aftermarket nav in my Jeep is better than the Carplay/Android Auto nav if for no other reasons than @mtnbikernate mentioned.

It's an aftermarket PX6 full Android head unit that can run any navigation app on the app store. It can also run CarPlay but the third party nav apps are much better off road than Google/Waze/Apple Maps. I use Locus, Maverick, and Polaris, though now that they're switching to a subscription model instead of one and done I'll probably revisit Gaia.

It has an external antenna that I mounted up under the dash cover and I always have clear view of at least 20 satellites.

IMG_1137.jpeg

IMG_1146.jpeg

It makes for a killer stereo too ?

IMG_1143.jpeg

vitacura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger XLT Tremor
Love how a thread can be revived after nearly three years and the conversation seamlessly continues flowing.

I actually really like the Adaptive Cruise feature, makes a drive along I-4 in Central FL bearable. I would get the tech package for that feature alone.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Love how a thread can be revived after nearly three years and the conversation seamlessly continues flowing.

I actually really like the Adaptive Cruise feature, makes a drive along I-4 in Central FL bearable. I would get the tech package for that feature alone.
It has only been 3 years since OP asked.

Maybe he hasn't decided yet ?

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Supercrew
Having had some extra bells and whistles in my Lariat F150 and now going slightly more "bare bones" on a new Ranger, here's my .02 on options.

I've had heated power seats in my F150 and in my Pilot. They're nice, but ehhh, not a biggie. Driver side quit heating in both vehicles and power stopped working in my F150. I'll be the only one driving my Ranger, and I'll play with the adjustments when I first get it and then leave it. I went with the 301 package (+black appearance) and added the remote start and a door entry keypad. Won't miss the power heated seats myself. Also, I had a sliding rear window in my F150 and basically never used it. Maybe 5 times in 200k miles and usually only opened it just because it was there.

As far as tech package, I don't need the ACC....won't miss it if I've never had it. Rarely use CC now. I always use my phone for GPS.....

Also, a moonroof....had one on my F150 and it leaked. Pretty sure my Pilot is leaking now also. And like the rear window, I rarely used it. I told myself I'd never get another.

From my F150, I'll miss the leather - but I can just get covers. I love the keypad on the Lariat, it's actually held up great and has never malfunctioned in 200k miles, so I added it also. Lariat features aren't worth it to me.

But at the same time, everyone is different and factors like locations, roads traveled, GPS reception and climates vary....so what makes sense to some might not make any sense to others.