Tech package... is it worth it?

lobsta11

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 magnetic grey, 302A & tech pkg. 2019 is gone. XLT super cab, ingot silver, 302a, tow & tech packages
Finally located an XLT supercab. Right color with the 302 & tow package. I can live with the ebony interior but it also has the tech package that I have no interest in. The ? is do I want to spend an extra $900 for something I have no use for.
Al
Sponsored

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
I really like adaptive cruise control: it makes cruise control useful in traffic and makes the drive less stressful
Less stressful? I guess I need to look up the definition of stressful. ;-) Never thought of driving as stressful. On the contrary, I love getting in the vehicle and completely focusing and being interactive. Technically, that is being stressed by I think of the word "stressful" as being a negative rather than a positive.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Definitely worth the money as compared to the cost of some of the other add ons that are mostly decorative.

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I'm not sure what comes in the tech package but having just purchased a Lariat over the XLT I can comment on the options I wanted and got.

Adaptive cruise control is a good one. After renting a vehicle that had it and driving 1000 miles I wanted it. Used to drive me nuts driving in traffic where I constantly had to hit the brake for a slow driver in front of me and reset the cruise. Doesn't sound stressful but once you use this feature it makes a drive much more relaxing.

Heated mirrors is another. Living in the frozen north I can't tell you how many times I got in a truck that had a block of ice on the mirrors rendering them worthless.

Climate control is another option I like. I no longer find myself constantly messing with the temp because of being to hot or cold.

BLIS is probably the one of the best things I've seen. Vehicles today have to many blind spots. Can't tell you how many times I've thought the way was clear only to find someone in a blind spot on older vehicles.

The deal breaker for me was the LED headlights on the on the Lariat, and I originally wanted an XLT. Can't tell you how much money I wasted trying different bulbs in other vehicles hoping to get more light on the road. None really made much of a difference other than making my wallet lighter.

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
Finally located an XLT supercab. Right color with the 302 & tow package. I can live with the ebony interior but it also has the tech package that I have no interest in. The ? is do I want to spend an extra $900 for something I have no use for.
Al
I hope so because I ordered it mostly for the adaptive cruise control and navigation. Also, $900 over the 10 years I'll probably keep the truck is no big deal. It may also help resale if I decide not to keep it that long.

As already mentioned, you can always ask for a discount after telling them you don't want it. They probably want to get the truck off floor plan if it's been there a while.

Last edited:
OP
OP

lobsta11

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 magnetic grey, 302A & tech pkg. 2019 is gone. XLT super cab, ingot silver, 302a, tow & tech packages
I hope so because I ordered it mostly for the adaptive cruise control and navigation. Also, $900 over the 10 years I'll probably keep the truck is no big deal. It may also help resale if I decide not to keep it that long.
Thanks for all the replies. My thinking is that for navigation, Google maps is the best with frequent updates. Unless I'm driving out of state, cruise control is useless as driving in eastern Ma. is just to congested. It's probably been 20 years since I've tried using cruise control.
Al

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I really like adaptive cruise control: it makes cruise control useful in traffic and makes the drive less stressful. I'd pay $900 for it but it may not matter to you...
Ditto - Adaptive cruise is a killer feature for me. I love it. It makes regular cruise control feel useless.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all the replies. My thinking is that for navigation, Google maps is the best with frequent updates. Unless I'm driving out of state, cruise control is useless as driving in eastern Ma. is just to congested. It's probably been 20 years since I've tried using cruise control.
Al
That is the cool thing with adaptive cruise - unless traffic slows down to under 30 (I think that is where it stops), it will automatically adjust itself, so it is still a fully functional cruise control, even in traffic.

edelatorre10

First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Fx4 Magnetic
Occupation
Registered Nurse
I have a super crew XLT, 300a package (base level) and kind of regretting not getting the upgraded tech. However, I was told by the ford salesman that the 4.2 screen is compatible with Android Auto & Apple Carplay... It is not. At least as far as I'm concerned.

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
The Tech package on the Lariat gives you two features - navigation and adaptive cruise control. Like stated, navigation can be had thru Apple Car Play and those maps are constantly updated. Not so with the Ford navigation.

Adaptive cruise control is the cat's meow. The only disadvantage to having it is if you're in need of a front light bar. Most would mount a light bar in the gap where the adaptive cruise control radar unit is located. You'd have to relocate the cruse control's radar unit and have it recalibrated to operate correctly in it's new location if you mounted a light bar in that gap.

Okinawa Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302, 2022 Ranger XLT/Splash/FX4
Occupation
Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Shop Owner
I'm sold on it as well. I found the truck I wanted but it had the tech package that I was hesitant to accept. Now having it, I would pay that money just for adaptive cruise, love it. It is such a pleasure not to have to hit your brakes or disengage cruise, and it's super easy to set following distance. As for the nav, it works great, easy to use and accurate. Unlike the setup on my '13 Focus ST 3. The whole setup is super easy to use. Very glad I ponyed up the money. Forward sensing is nice, and the blind spot detection for my trailer another nice feature. Could I live without it? Sure, but much nicer with it. Glad I held out and found a 302 A too. Heated seats in my Focus were nice, I knew I'd miss them.
My truck, XLT, FX4, cyber orange, splash, 302 A, technology, trailer tow. I would have liked mats and spray in liner. But put a set of Husky weather beaters and getting line x today. Now I'm complete.

IMG_20220314_090808496.jpg

IMG_20220314_090755694.jpg

IMG_20220314_090741673.jpg

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
If you have no use for it. You answered your own question.

Get what you need
Or want

Your truck, you will be driving it.
None of us will, already have my truck.
Sponsored