talk to me about leveling

Billho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX 2wd SuperCab, 2002 GMC Sierra
I am considering doing a leveling kit on my 2wd Ranger, as I agree that it looks a lot better. But, I intend to use my truck to haul lumber, a 600-lb motorcycle, and tow a trailer from time to time and don't want to screw with something that would alter my ability to tow or carry a load. Can you experts weigh in on whether or not I should or shouldn't?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Billho

Billho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From time to time? You're fine. Every day? I wouldn't
I'll pull a 5,000 lb trailer maybe once a year, a 3,000 lb trailer a few times a year, and maybe haul a truckload of lumber a few times a year (maybe 1,500 lbs). With my other truck (GMC Sierra that is going with my son to college in a few months), I also get a couple of scoops of topsoil 3-4 times a year. I might need to go down to a single scoop with the Ranger.

Iceman

First Name
Baylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
CNC Machinist
It’ll make a difference on fuel economy, the 2WD already loses a lot of extra grab as it is. But being as to it happening a few times a year it won’t make or break a Ranger’s ability to haul these payloads and such.

OP
OP
Billho

Billho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’ll make a difference on fuel economy, the 2WD already loses a lot of extra grab as it is. But being as to it happening a few times a year it won’t make or break a Ranger’s ability to haul these payloads and such.
Forgive my ignorance, as this is new to me. What do you mean by difference in fuel economy- do you mean that a lift improves it, or makes it worse?

I'm thinking about upgrading from the HT tires on it to all-terrains sometime soon. That sounds like a good time to do a lift, if I choose to. No rush, but it is on the list for the near future.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
A level kit will negatively affect mpgs some on account of aerodynamics (cutting wind from beneath a vehicle improves aro).

a level kit will Not affect payload or towing capacity at All. Might make it look a little “squatty” a bit when towing but will Not slow it down.

Mcssls

Bigger tires kill mpg because they’re heavier. Lift changes aerodynamics combined you will see a drop in mpg.

Sardog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
USN Aircrew
I have the FX4 that I have added a Decked box and a Leitner ACS Rack over the bed. Total Weight in the bed driving around is about 300 lbs. With that weight the truck with stock suspension is pretty much level. With all that being said, if you add a leveling kit to the front when you are adding weight or towing I would expect to get a decent amount of squat in the back.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I leveled a bit too much and ended up with a barely perceptible rear rake. I had leveled the truck 3.75" up front and after a bumper and winch were added, I saw an actual lift of 3.5" up front. I was sitting about .25" to .5" lower in the rear, especially with the weight of my tent and recovery gear with the Eiback shocks I installed with the front Eibach kit.. I ended up installing an add-a-leaf kit from Auto Spring to work in conjunction with the Eibach rear shocks and my truck sits really nice right now and has just barely any sag with my boat hooked up.

Top is with the add-a-leaf kit and the bottom is without.
IMG_20210410_161214.jpg

Now with bigger tires installed.
2021-06-04 10.45.08.jpg

Small tires but with boat trailer on the truck...
2021-05-22 10.38.49.jpg

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I have the FX4 that I have added a Decked box and a Leitner ACS Rack over the bed. Total Weight in the bed driving around is about 300 lbs. With that weight the truck with stock suspension is pretty much level. With all that being said, if you add a leveling kit to the front when you are adding weight or towing I would expect to get a decent amount of squat in the back.
I put 300# of ballast right at the back of the bed, right against the tailgate, in the winter for extra traction in our FX4. It doesn't even come close to leveling the truck.

001.JPG

Only time ours has been level is when we hauled 1,200 lbs of drywall and plywood.

002 1105 lbs.JPG

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I am considering doing a leveling kit on my 2wd Ranger, as I agree that it looks a lot better. But, I intend to use my truck to haul lumber, a 600-lb motorcycle, and tow a trailer from time to time and don't want to screw with something that would alter my ability to tow or carry a load. Can you experts weigh in on whether or not I should or shouldn't?
If you are planning to use your truck as a truck daily then I do not recommend doing a leveling kit what so ever!!! Does that mean you should suffer with ride quality from the oh so wonderful stock shocks? Not at all. You can still get either Eibach or Bilstein shocks and not "level" the truck and improve overall ride quality

OP
OP
Billho

Billho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you are planning to use your truck as a truck daily then I do not recommend doing a leveling kit what so ever!!! Does that mean you should suffer with ride quality from the oh so wonderful stock shocks? Not at all. You can still get either Eibach or Bilstein shocks and not "level" the truck and improve overall ride quality
I am still considering it, but leaning towards holding off for now. I have so many other things I want to do to the truck. Plus, I will tow a trailer tomorrow with a 2000ish lb load and I'll see how it does before I mess with things

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I am still considering it, but leaning towards holding off for now. I have so many other things I want to do to the truck. Plus, I will tow a trailer tomorrow with a 2000ish lb load and I'll see how it does before I mess with things
Seeing what a vehicle will do before making modifications is always a good idea.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
Towing just under a 3k lbs single axle trailer with my SCAB FX4 and with my SCREW Tremor I see right at .75" of squat.
Sponsored