First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
The only people who say the whole parking thing about half tuns are midsize owners lol. Our f150 is a 2015 and the bighorn a 2019 they're considerably larger in space and bed than the ranger which is my only struggle. I've never once felt I cannot park or a half tun truck. Actually when I first started driving a couple times but thats it. I think making your statement about a 3/4 is very valid though. If you have a garage that can only fit a midsize thats fair too but I see this whole parking lot thing all the time which I find really exaggerated.
But, you're in Texas. Everything's bigger in Texas. ;) :crackup:
Sponsored

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
What do you miss about the ram? I think im cool with losing the cabin space but the bed idk. I wish the dealer would let me drive it for a couple days before buying!
Obviously, everyone has different needs in terms of bed size, but most people don’t need as much as they think they do. Just to give you an idea of volume, this truck will comfortably carry 25 bags of mulch with the tailgate up.

1C02C765-9981-4DC3-A465-FBDB014AA88D.jpeg

OP
OP

yyyames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Well, most of us used to drive full size trucks. And, it depends on where you live and work. If you’re in rural America or suburbs you’re right. But, I work in Atlanta and I can promise you parking a full size is a daily pain in the ass. Some underground parking garages are almost impossible in a full size. I drove full size trucks for 15 years, so I have experience with both. The Ranger is much better daily driver for my situation. YMMV.
Thats fair. We use to be close to miami ( ft lauderdale area ) and no problems with the fullsize but downtown miami? Yeah no thanks, I totally agree if you're in downtown ATL a lot.

OP
OP

yyyames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
most people don’t need as much as they think they do.
I totally agree with this espically with 3/4 tun folks. Here in TX 3/4 and one tun trucks are kind of a status symbol imo. I will admit we don't max out our fullsize much. BUT if i had to sacrifice a fullsize all togther for a midsize I dont think it would work but since we have two and my ram has been a pain in the butt and our f150 has been great to us Im thinking of jumping ship on my ram.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
The ranger does not offer all the the capability of a fullsize lol. The bed is a major downside. Also the parking thing is really exaggerated imo.
Like I said, your opinion may vary. Mine is based on driving full size pickups since 1984 which I traded for my 2005 which I traded in on the Ranger and load capacity needs change with life.;)

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
i dicked around with mine yesterday. only two at a time because a) i dont want to blow a fuse trying all 4 at once. b) i dont have enough finger control to work 4 buttons simultaneously.
i found both fronts worked same speed, as well as both rears.
i didnt check front vs rear though.
One touch windows is the only thing you pointed out that I would miss personally. All that extra crap tp me is just crap that will eventually break! Speaking of the keypad that is one major thing on the ranger I am looking at has on it and I HATE IT. I was looking online and could not get a definite answer if its removable or if there is a hole in the door. It looks like its just on there with double sided tape after watching some install videos though. Anyone know about this?

About the MPGs sorry other than the bed this is where this truck really lacks imo. Our 3.5 and our etorque hemi are both either the same or better city and just under highway by a couple of miles. Which says a lot because both of my trucks are larger, heavier, have larger engines, tow quite a but more and have better payload ratings. I have yet to see good information on the ranger MPG while towing. MPG wise I don't think its that much better than some of the 2015 fullsize.
All the better. There may be other things that you might care about that you would get on an F-150 that I don't care about on the Ranger as well. That or my butt might just be a bit spoiled :). It's made worse on the Ranger (imo, as is almost everything I write) because the ergonomics of the switches are in an awkward position for me. But installing that 3rd party module wasn't too difficult, and now I have even more usability out of them (auto roll up upon locking, triple unlock rolls them down) plus the one touch.

OP
OP

yyyames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
All the better. There may be other things that you might care about that you would get on an F-150 that I don't care about on the Ranger as well. That or my butt might just be a bit spoiled :). It's made worse on the Ranger (imo, as is almost everything I write) because the ergonomics of the switches are in an awkward position for me. But installing that 3rd party module wasn't too difficult, and now I have even more usability out of them (auto roll up upon locking, triple unlock rolls them down) plus the one touch.
What did you install? Do you know if anything on the ranger can be turned on using forscan?

DanaBovender

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
From the Florida Panhandle Residing in Germany
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Gov Employee
My 10 cents...
The Ranger is about the same size as my 2004 F150, except for the bed. It rides better, is updated and definitely capable. We have a 2019 Lariat 4x4 with a 3” level, Eibach rear shocks and run 32.7” tires and still get almost 21mpg on the autobahn/highway running 93 octane gas. We love this truck, although the bed is small the cabin is spacious for a midsize crew cab. I also had a 2007 Ram 2500 4WD crew cab and honestly it was a fantastic truck. The Ranger fits our need for towing, camping and touring. We also have a fully loaded 2018 VW Tiguan and we drive the Ranger more because it is comfortable. I didn’t think at first we’d love it as much but it fits in parking spaces, handles like a Honda and has more than enough power to satisfy your needs.

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What did you install? Do you know if anything on the ranger can be turned on using forscan?
I installed this module from this 2019 thread.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/one-touch-open-close-window-module-interest-thread.3045/

IIRC we got a group order to import them from Australia, so the shipping might be a bit more expensive if you're doing it on your own, but that was also 2 years ago - there might be enough new owners that missed out on those orders that would be interested. Install was ~30min - I did snap off one of the clips, but I superglued it back on, and haven't had any issues.

Forscan unfortunately can't be used since there's no driver door module in the ranger like there is on the F150, Escape, and every other Ford product (though I'd hazard a guess not the Bronco since the doors come off). Same for why you can't get your mirrors to auto open/fold - no door module. Again, folks on this forum have come up with a module to install for the auto open/fold, but that's one I didn't bother with since I have to close them to enter/exit my garage (well, not officially, but I have like 2'' total clearance with them open, so I do so for peace of mind and to minimize the required precision.

OP
OP

yyyames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I installed this module from this 2019 thread.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/one-touch-open-close-window-module-interest-thread.3045/

IIRC we got a group order to import them from Australia, so the shipping might be a bit more expensive if you're doing it on your own, but that was also 2 years ago - there might be enough new owners that missed out on those orders that would be interested. Install was ~30min - I did snap off one of the clips, but I superglued it back on, and haven't had any issues.

Forscan unfortunately can't be used since there's no driver door module in the ranger like there is on the F150, Escape, and every other Ford product (though I'd hazard a guess not the Bronco since the doors come off). Same for why you can't get your mirrors to auto open/fold - no door module. Again, folks on this forum have come up with a module to install for the auto open/fold, but that's one I didn't bother with since I have to close them to enter/exit my garage (well, not officially, but I have like 2'' total clearance with them open, so I do so for peace of mind and to minimize the required precision.
Interesting there is no OBDII port?

OP
OP

yyyames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
ALright folks still considering the purchase and wanted to thank you all for the great replies! I was doing a bit more of a comparison and the payload and towing really put the ram into perspective. They're really not that far off our f150 smokes them both but I digress. Check it out.

2019 ram 1500 4x4 etorque

Max Payload 1,830
Max Towing 8,230

2020 ranger

Payload - 1,560
Max towing 7,500

I think as of right now I just need to think if I can live with the bed which i think I can and underseat / over all storage. The storage in my quadcab is pretty sweet with an afer market thing I have.

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting there is no OBDII port?
There's an OBDII port (as required by law since 1996) - but the window switches are just that - switches. Other Ford vehicles have modules that can interpret the signal of you pressing the window for a quick blip and then sends out the voltage (or likely the command for something else to send out the voltage) to the window regulators. Ranger the switch is a direct connection to the regulator.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
ALright folks still considering the purchase and wanted to thank you all for the great replies! I was doing a bit more of a comparison and the payload and towing really put the ram into perspective. They're really not that far off our f150 smokes them both but I digress. Check it out.

2019 ram 1500 4x4 etorque

Max Payload 1,830
Max Towing 8,230

2020 ranger

Payload - 1,560
Max towing 7,500

I think as of right now I just need to think if I can live with the bed which i think I can and underseat / over all storage. The storage in my quadcab is pretty sweet with an afer market thing I have.
You definitely give up some interior storage space. Thats one of the “cons”:

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
@yyyames we truly love our 2019 Ranger FX4 SuperCab. 17,000 trouble free miles, averaging about 27 mpg, we've hauled 1,200 lbs of lumber in the bed numerous times, towed with it and it's awesome. Check out the link in my signature to our build thread, more details there.

002 1105 lbs.JPG

It does, it's a SuperCab. Why anybody would want to own a truck that a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood won't fit inside the bed without hanging out past the tailgate when it's down, is a mystery to me.
First truck purchase for me....didn't realize factoring in hauling a sheet of plywood was a prerequisite when buying one. :rolleyes: I've never purchased a sheet of plywood in my 4 decades on this planet.

Needed the larger cab for the family. The bed extender does its job when I need a bigger bed but definitely would love the SCabs larger bed with the larger cab.
Sponsored