Tailgate sometimes will not open

WhiteRangerDanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
See if you can release tonneau cover first, I hate you’d have to do that. Some sneaky way. Try a few different approach methods…frustrating as hell I get it. If you must cut then it would really suck.
Thanks hopefully I can release it first as well
Sponsored

WhiteRangerDanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Hey everyone
I got the gate to open by pushing on the gate really hard and pulling the handle at the same time... as suggested, I will still adjust the tab. I want to thank everyone for your help, it's appreciated.

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
Almost seems counterintuitive but still makes sense..
That tab is what stops the tailgate when you close it. If it's too far towards the rear of the truck, it will be too hard to shut, which is what mine was doing at first but also too hard to open due to the pressure it causes against the locking mechanism. Once I bent the 2 tabs towards the front of the truck, just a little. The tailgate has been smooth as butter. You only want to bend a little at a time.. too much and it will probably rattle.

Last edited:

JeffB

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Muastang, Mazda 6
Will do Phil. I'm on the list to take it in anyway for the blower motor recall. Might as well have them check out the tailgate at the same time. To IdahoRanger's question I don't know how the latch/lock mechanism is designed on the Ranger. I'm hoping to find a parts schematic or such online to get a bit of an education for future reference. It is a fear that it will happen again at some very inconvenient time or location.
Did you find the parts schematic? Our 2023 is doing same thing

RangerBill

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew FX4
Occupation
retired
Did you find the parts schematic? Our 2023 is doing same thing
If you re-read the replies above, the answer to the problem is given.

JeffB

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Muastang, Mazda 6
If you re-read the replies above, the answer to the problem is given.
Answer to their problem is given, does not mean answer to my problem was given. We have not had trouble closing it, ours is not opening.

RangerBill

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Answer to their problem is given, does not mean answer to my problem was given. We have not had trouble closing it, ours is not opening.
That is the problem that is being discussed in this entire thread, tailgate won't open. The title of this thread states that also.

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
If you have trouble opening tailgate, and it is locked, do the following...

1. push the start button 3 times with foot off the brake.
2. push the power lock button.
3. push the start button 2 times with foot off the brake.
4. keeping the truck in accessory mode, wiggle the tailgate handle without trying to open.
5. push the unlock button 2 times.
6. push start button 3 times with foot off the brake.
7. put your left foot in truck.
8. take your left foot out.
9. do the hokey pokey and open the tailgate...

JeffB

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Muastang, Mazda 6
That is the problem that is being discussed in this entire thread, tailgate won't open. The title of this thread states that also.
In the comment I responded to the user stated they had issues closing it too. And my question was not asking what the fix was, my question was for the parts schematic and something that I wanted to look at.

" That tab is what stops the tailgate when you close it. If it's too far towards the rear of the truck, it will be too hard to shut, which is what mine was doing at first " Apparently you did not read the entire thread.

Last edited:

RangerBill

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
In the comment I responded to the user stated they had issues closing it too.

" That tab is what stops the tailgate when you close it. If it's too far towards the rear of the truck, it will be too hard to shut, which is what mine was doing at first " apparently you did not read the entire thread.
If you understand what that poster is saying and apply his fix, you should have your fix for your opening problem. Is it clear now? It was clear to me when I read through these posts. Did you try it?

JeffB

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Muastang, Mazda 6
If you understand what that poster is saying and apply his fix, you should have your fix for your opening problem. Is it clear now? It was clear to me when I read through these posts. Did you try it?
You can't seem to understand I was not asking for the fix. I was asking for the diagram. Not sure why that is so difficult. NO, the fix listed did not fix mine. Know what did? Looking at the diagram to determine how it worked.

More quotes " Adjust this tab, mine was hard to shut till I bet it forward a little. "

RangerBill

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
You can't seem to understand I was not asking for the fix. I was asking for the diagram. Not sure why that is so difficult. NO, the fix listed did not fix mine. Know what did? Looking at the diagram to determine how it worked.

More quotes " Adjust this tab, mine was hard to shut till I bet it forward a little. "
So what was the fix so others can know?

JeffB

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Muastang, Mazda 6
So what was the fix so others can know?
The half paper clip slot has a spring within it. That spring had popped off (scoop of dirt had been in bed of truck, possible a piece got in slots knocking it off) I was able to use a knife blade to slide in and put the spring back in place. That allowed the little round lever to the right to slide back to the proper place which allowed everything to unlatch properly.

tailgate2.jpg

JeffB

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Muastang, Mazda 6
sadly becoming an expert on this as it happened again. The issue is the locking mechanism. When you lock it the tab is pushed, when tailgate is unlocked the tab is supposed to go back to original position, but does not. Sad a little part causes so many issues. We took off tailgate cover and pushed the tab back, oiled it well and put everything back together. As of now it is working.

1713895660543-m8.png

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
I removed that whole panel that's on the inside of the tailgate, sprayed lots of Fluid Film (it doesn't evaporate like WD-40.), on all the moving parts of the latch mechanism and the latches themselves.
Things get out of shape too if you slam the tailgate, just lightly 'click it closed'. They're not barn doors lol.
Sponsored