Tailgate sometimes will not open

Zanardi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Saber 4x4 Sport
Last night I got home from golf. Went to pop the tailgate to get my clubs out. Pulled the latch handle and it wouldn't open. Gave the gate a good tug on the top edge in case the gate was just binding. Wouldn't budge. I cycled the locks several times from my key fob - wouldn't budge. Cycled the locks from the interior armrest switch as well as tried the key in the manual tailgate lock. No luck. Seems to suggest it's not the lock. Tried several more times and could not get the tailgate to open.

I thought I was hosed because I have a soft cover. To open the cover I need to have the tailgate open. Just before I headed into the house I tried the latch one more time and the tailgate opened easy as ever. Got my stuff out and tried opening and closing several times. No problems at all.

The exact same thing happened about two weeks ago. No problem in between. At that time it also finally just opened without my finding a cause or doing anything.

Any ideas? I was thinking maybe stretched cable(s) or similar? It would seem however once stretched they wouldn't "unstretch" and work fine for a couple weeks in between problems. Also today I barely have to pull the latch handle and the gate pops open. It's not like I have to pull it to the limit as I would anticipate doing if a cable was stretched out of tolerance. Maybe the latches on each side of the gate need a good flushing and some fresh grease?
Sponsored

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Does the Ranger have a rod tailgate plastic clip? Maybe one of the clips is not attached correctly.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Last night I got home from golf. Went to pop the tailgate to get my clubs out. Pulled the latch handle and it wouldn't open. Gave the gate a good tug on the top edge in case the gate was just binding. Wouldn't budge. I cycled the locks several times from my key fob - wouldn't budge. Cycled the locks from the interior armrest switch as well as tried the key in the manual tailgate lock. No luck. Seems to suggest it's not the lock. Tried several more times and could not get the tailgate to open.

I thought I was hosed because I have a soft cover. To open the cover I need to have the tailgate open. Just before I headed into the house I tried the latch one more time and the tailgate opened easy as ever. Got my stuff out and tried opening and closing several times. No problems at all.

The exact same thing happened about two weeks ago. No problem in between. At that time it also finally just opened without my finding a cause or doing anything.

Any ideas? I was thinking maybe stretched cable(s) or similar? It would seem however once stretched they wouldn't "unstretch" and work fine for a couple weeks in between problems. Also today I barely have to pull the latch handle and the gate pops open. It's not like I have to pull it to the limit as I would anticipate doing if a cable was stretched out of tolerance. Maybe the latches on each side of the gate need a good flushing and some fresh grease?
Hi Mike,

Does not sound like a systemic problem..first I recall hearing of such an issue. My gut feeling is that the unlock mechanism needs attention. Recommend a visit to the dealer to investigate, and hopefully easily identified and fixed. Intermittent items like this are frustrating and in your case, you become apprehensive to use the pickup box. Keep us in the loop on this one and good luck!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

Zanardi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Saber 4x4 Sport
Will do Phil. I'm on the list to take it in anyway for the blower motor recall. Might as well have them check out the tailgate at the same time. To IdahoRanger's question I don't know how the latch/lock mechanism is designed on the Ranger. I'm hoping to find a parts schematic or such online to get a bit of an education for future reference. It is a fear that it will happen again at some very inconvenient time or location.

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
I am having a similar issue with the same symptoms as you @Zanardi except it hasn't mysteriously unlocked itself yet. Did you get your problem figured out?

steig

First Name
Steig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Engineer
Mine has the same issue. Almost like tailgate is locked even though it's not.

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
This presents a fine problem with a tonneau cover. Have to cut expensive tonneau to get access to fix the tailgate, painful. On my last truck (2011 Ranger) I had an Extang tonneau and I rigged two pull wires to unlatch the tonneau if I ever could not get the tailgate open, Guess I will have to do that again with this tonneau. If this happened under the bumper to bumper warranty I would pressure Ford to replace the tonneau.

WhiteRangerDanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger

Bump... my tailgate won't open. Same symptoms as OP prior to today but today it just will not open... Any ideas from the members?

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Have you tried the key? Probably did. Push hard like you’re shutting then pull open latch handle and release suddenly. It happened to me once and took a few tries but it hasn’t happened since because I started shutting it more solidly.

Good luck

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Mike,

I had similar problem after my first post. I tracked it down to the left cable getting trapped by the Dee Zee tailgate damper. So my fix was to make the cable fat with sticky velcro at the tailgate damper and have not had the problem since...

Best,
Phil

WhiteRangerDanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Have you tried the key? Probably did. Push hard like you’re shutting then pull open latch handle and release suddenly. It happened to me once and took a few tries but it hasn’t happened since because I started shutting it more solidly.

Good luck
Yes I did... luck, I need it I will have to cut through the torno

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
See if you can release tonneau cover first, I hate you’d have to do that. Some sneaky way. Try a few different approach methods…frustrating as hell I get it. If you must cut then it would really suck.