First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
Retired
When my tailgate is down, the right side cable is tight, but the left one is loose. If I apply pressure to the left side of the tailgate, the cable gets tight. Does anybody else have this problem? Or is my tailgate warped? Or ???
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
When my tailgate is down, the right side cable is tight, but the left one is loose. If I apply pressure to the left side of the tailgate, the cable gets tight. Does anybody else have this problem? Or is my tailgate warped? Or ???
Don't worry this is common. Tolerance on cables not great, the aluminum tailgate will flex some also. If you swap cables side to side it may shift it or not.

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
The best fix for this is a tailgate damper. Just ask @AzScorpion

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
More importantly my dealer service advisor put low-profile lisc plate screws on my truck and showed me that with the gate fully open/down the bottom edge pushes against the plate, screws and 'bows' the plastic fascia...poor engineering detail with no expected fix! He said that he has been addressing as they come in to prevent problems, paint coming off when taller profile self-tapper/hex heads are used.

OP
OP
JimH

JimH

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
Retired
The best fix for this is a tailgate damper. Just ask @AzScorpion
I already have the damper. I disconnected it and found it will extend another 4 or 5 inches, so that's not the problem (or the solution).. :shock:

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
The problem is that your tailgates become weak and punny, and not able to open all the way! A common side effect of dampers.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Just checking in to make sure Dave covered the damper already since tailgate was mentioned. ?

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
But if he adds a damper then he has to start modding that too. It's a vicious never ending cycle! :crazy:?
The problem is that your tailgates become weak and punny, and not able to open all the way! A common side effect of dampers.
Just checking in to make sure Dave covered the damper already since tailgate was mentioned. ?
Best bet is to open tailgate and while time delay gravity defying time slip flux damper is doing it's thing, jump into truck, slam into reverse, floor it and back into a power pole at speed. Should be enough to make the necessary hinge adjustment that tightens up the wayward cable :idea:

Last edited:

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Just another thing for dam per people to do while waiting for their tailgate to open. In order to do a truly scientific test you must watch your tailgate come down many many times. ?

shirleyb

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, Shelby GT-500, Edge

shirleyb

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, Shelby GT-500, Edge
Here is my solution:

Every F-150 I have checked have one cable loose. They should have an adjustment, but do not.
Rangers also have this issue. My solution:
Remove the tight cable and use a hight speed grinder with a small bit. Remove a very small amount of material and reinstall and check if it is tight like the other side. You could even use a small rat tail file to remove material.
I worked perfect for me, I do not think the tailgate is warped, the Ranger should have an adjustment, but none do.
Thanks, Shirley
Sponsored