Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Riding The Dragon at Deals Gap certainly brings back some good memories . I've ridden it many times on at least 10 different bikes , a 2004 Chrysler Crossfire and the wifes MB SUV . Back in 1998 it was pretty fun to ride in the morning and you would only meet 3 or 4 vehicles during the entire run but it started really getting dangerous from about 2001 to the present with all the car/bike clubs . Killboy has been around for quite some time it seems as I have pics somewhere of him catching me on several bikes. The one where the wife was sitting up on the Busa as if she was still on the Harley is the only one I have on this computer at the moment ,LOL .

The wife and I rode that entire area once back in 1982 on a Honda 650 Nighthawk also .

1999 Yamaha Vstar650
1998 HD Fatboy
Yamaha FJR 1300
2001 HD Vrod
2002 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior
2004 Yamaha R1
2006 Yamaha R6
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

The track is the only place where limits should be tested though . Once I rode on a closed course I never rode fast on the street again and once I turned 50 it was back to cruisers once again . Bones don't heal up like they use to :)

Whatever you do , be safe and think of the others that may be affected by your actions .

Deals Gap dragon.jpg

The Barber Motorsports Park when it first opened was a second home . I'm #41 since that was my age when I got my fist sportbike , the '04 R1.
Darkside Barber.jpg
Darkside Barber Trick.jpg

mitzi Deals Gap.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
I've had my 84 Civic out there and my RS. I'm not sure, but if I can make it to the EcoBoost cruise of the dragon I may bring the Ranger instead of the RS. @dkirby, no objections to that substitution right?

cVelBlu91

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F-150 STX 4x4 "Big Blue"
Occupation
Payroll

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I try and pull over ASAP when I see faster traffic coming up...I run the chase lights and hope no one runs into my ass... ?

3238873smalll-jpg.jpg

dabomb4097

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT 302A FX4 (On Order)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I used to live down near Knoxville and visited the Dragon fairly often! Drove it in the rain in my old F-150 once, that was quite the experience.

Although the road is really best experienced with a more proper vehicle and weather, vehicle courtesy of our friends at the local airport's Enterprise rental counter. Drive it like a rental, indeed. :crackup:

2604025.jpg

3464364.jpg

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
Riding The Dragon at Deals Gap certainly brings back some good memories . I've ridden it many times on at least 10 different bikes , a 2004 Chrysler Crossfire and the wifes MB SUV . Back in 1998 it was pretty fun to ride in the morning and you would only meet 3 or 4 vehicles during the entire run but it started really getting dangerous from about 2001 to the present with all the car/bike clubs . Killboy has been around for quite some time it seems as I have pics somewhere of him catching me on several bikes. The one where the wife was sitting up on the Busa as if she was still on the Harley is the only one I have on this computer at the moment ,LOL .

The wife and I rode that entire area once back in 1982 on a Honda 650 Nighthawk also .

1999 Yamaha Vstar650
1998 HD Fatboy
Yamaha FJR 1300
2001 HD Vrod
2004 Yamaha R1
2006 Yamaha R6
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

The track is the only place where limits should be tested though . Once I rode on a closed course I never rode fast on the street again and once I turned 50 it was back to cruisers once again . Bones don't heal up like they use to :)

Whatever you do , be safe and think of the others that may be affected by your actions .

Deals Gap dragon.jpg

The Barber Motorsports Park when it first opened was a second home . I'm #41 since that was my age when I got my fist sportbike , the '04 R1.
Darkside Barber.jpg
Darkside Barber Trick.jpg

Darkside Barber.jpg

mitzi Deals Gap.jpg
I always wanted to use a Hayabusa as a two-up sport tourer. Put many miles on my Triumph Sprint ST, two-up touring. Alot of riders don't realize that a Hayabusa is actually designed for that kind of riding. Pack the bags and the girl, tighten up the suspension, and hit the road!

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
It's been on my bucket list for quite some time. I will do it on my Yamaha FZ6 some time but won't be in any hurry while I am there. My motto has always been weather it's on the road or dirt is ALWAYS RIDE TO LIVE AND LIVE TO RIDE ANOTHER DAY!

FZ 6.jpg

ter240

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat, Tremor
Occupation
Self Employed
BMW RT on the Tail of the Dragon 2018. Got there early, before 8 a.m., rode it both ways then moved on before the crazy started.
Tom TOD 10_7_18.jpg

Triumph Tiger 800 on the Back of the Dragon 2020 https://www.backofthedragon.com/. This route is in SW Virginia, every bit as fun and longer than the Tail. Also no where near as crazy.
Tom_Wave_BOTD_11-7-20.jpg

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
A pickup truck isn't exactly my idea of an ideal vehicle to enjoy roads like this. Small cars (with manuals) and motorcycles are where it's at. Don't necessarily need to go fast, but carving those turns is fun. First time I drove it was maybe in 2000 or so. Before it got too popular. Nowadays, meh. There are other roads that are plenty of fun and less crowded.

I dragged my teardrop camper down part of the Cherohala Skyway 2 summers ago with my Ranger. Less fun, but also a beautiful place.

Last edited:

dkirby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Lariat Tremor, '16 Focus RS, '10 Evo X
Occupation
Engineer
I've had my 84 Civic out there and my RS. I'm not sure, but if I can make it to the EcoBoost cruise of the dragon I may bring the Ranger instead of the RS. @dkirby, no objections to that substitution right?
Hey it's an Ecoboost cruise, not a Focus cruise. Good luck keeping up though. Maybe tow your Ecoboost with your other Ecoboost.
6E933D83-E9F6-437C-B647-95EB7265469E.jpeg

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4

1999 Yamaha Vstar650
1998 HD Fatboy
Yamaha FJR 1300
2001 HD Vrod
2004 Yamaha R1
2006 Yamaha R6
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

I used to go fast on both, raced supermoto for a number of years. I think the track gives you the best fast street riding ability. As in on track I'd go 10/10ths (or I'd say 11/10 when I crashed), and on the street I'd do 7/10 or 8/10. So I might look reckless but I was actually riding cautiously and always late apexing too.

Nowadays I'm more likely to set up a lawn chair and watch if I went to the dragon lol. I miss it but can't afford any more accidents either. Was very lucky and quit while I was ahead.

RecoilOperated

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Millennials couldn't have a conversation without googling, they have nothing but Google. They don't realize people used to do stuff and talk about the things they did. One EMP later they would all be useless.
I think maybe you're confusing millennials with gen Z (you should google it if you're not familiar). The millennial generation begins in 1980; we had TVs with rabbit ears, phones with cords, and cassette decks in the family Caravan. By the time Google came along we were using it to research our college papers.

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Back when I had my WRX and STI I always wanted to get out there, but never got the chance. It seems I’m always out there now, camping in the Ranger, but feel like I wouldn’t totally enjoy it with the truck.

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
I might have to unignore Ranger Pride because it is hard to follow threads like this when I am not seeing his posts.
But I have lower blood pressure when not seeing his posts.
I'll have to think about.