Sync issues

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Searched the site for something similar but not much luck with this exact issue. 2019 Ranger Lariat with about 80,000 miles.

Sometimes, my Sync never comes on. I can hear the radio but the screen is not on. I can control the volume of the radio through the steering wheel buttons and the volume control on the dash. The buttons on the steering wheel that control voice command do not work. It will stay like this no matter what I do until I turn off the truck. When I restart the truck, sometimes the same issues is still present, and sometimes my screen comes on and everything works as normal. It is hit or miss. Right now it works probbly 20 times qnd then doesn't. Then when it comes back on, I have no idea why.

I have not done an update for a very long time so it can't be because of a recent software update.

Any suggestions? Driving me nuts.
Sponsored

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Searched the site for something similar but not much luck with this exact issue. 2019 Ranger Lariat with about 80,000 miles.

Sometimes, my Sync never comes on. I can hear the radio but the screen is not on. I can control the volume of the radio through the steering wheel buttons and the volume control on the dash. The buttons on the steering wheel that control voice command do not work. It will stay like this no matter what I do until I turn off the truck. When I restart the truck, sometimes the same issues is still present, and sometimes my screen comes on and everything works as normal. It is hit or miss. Right now it works probbly 20 times qnd then doesn't. Then when it comes back on, I have no idea why.

I have not done an update for a very long time so it can't be because of a recent software update.

Any suggestions? Driving me nuts.
Do you know what version of Sync you have installed?

There’s a few things I would do if I was having this issue and in this order, testing for resolution after each. Regardless of which things you elect to try, I would do #4 (update Sync3) at a minimum.

1. Fully test the vehicle battery. Weak batteries cause all kinds of weird issues. Replace if necessary.

2. Either pull the Sync fuse(s) or disconnect the battery for a short time to let the hardware completely reset.

3. Perform a Master Reset of Sync if/when the screen is alive. You will need to manually restore all your personalized settings.

4. Update to the latest Sync3 that was just released.

OP
OP

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Do you know what version of Sync you have installed?

There’s a few things I would do if I was having this issue and in this order, testing for resolution after each. Regardless of which things you elect to try, I would do #4 (update Sync3) at a minimum.

1. Fully test the vehicle battery. Weak batteries cause all kinds of weird issues. Replace if necessary.

2. Either pull the Sync fuse(s) or disconnect the battery for a short time to let the hardware completely reset.

3. Perform a Master Reset of Sync if/when the screen is alive. You will need to manually restore all your personalized settings.

4. Update to the latest Sync3 that was just released.
Thank for the info

I have Sync version 3.4
Gracenote version 1.1.1.2323 (NA-0020)
Navigation map version NA221

Why would this older version of Sync just start acting up? These issues drive me nuts.

Mark

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Thank for the info

I have Sync version 3.4
Gracenote version 1.1.1.2323 (NA-0020)
Navigation map version NA221

Why would this older version of Sync just start acting up? These issues drive me nuts.

Mark
There’s more to the version number than 3.4. For example, 3.4.22251 is known to develop issues over time. Lots of discussion in multiple threads here. The latest update, 3.4.23188 should resolve issues from the older version.

OP
OP

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
There’s more to the version number than 3.4. For example, 3.4.22251 is known to develop issues over time. Lots of discussion in multiple threads here. The latest update, 3.4.23188 should resolve issues from the older version.
I went into my about sync screen and took a picture of it. It only says version 3.4 and nothing more. It does say Build 22251 under the Version 3.4. So I must have the version that goes bad over time. Wonderful. I had so much fun updating sync before, can't wait to do it again. Wish this was an easy, problem free thing to do

Thanks again for your help.

Mark

Last edited:

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired
You can do a soft reboot when the screen goes dark, hold the radio button down while holding the fast forward down and the screen will come back. If that is not the procedure some one will correct me. I had the same issues and it only resolved itself after multiple master resets, I think the master reset may dump some of the backlogged memory that will allow Sync to go back to somewhat normal operation but that is just my theory.

Last edited:

Bullet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Ford has released 3.4.23188. This should remedy the issues acquired from 3.4.22251.
Go to the Ford site to get the update. You can use WiFi or a USB to apply the update. Personally, I like to use a USB to avoid any hiccups with over-the-air transfer.
Sponsored